Author Topic: Africa Twin - First Impressions  (Read 4742 times)

• Offline Yasko   england

• Crosstourer Master  ‐    1361
    • Topic Author

Offline Yasko

• Crosstourer Master
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: Africa Twin DCT
    • City / Town: Canterbury
    Africa Twin - First Impressions
    on: Jun 09, 2017, 04.58 pm
    Jun 09, 2017, 04.58 pm
    Having finally decided to replace my 4 year old CT due  to chronic back conditions where the weight of the CT when pushing/paddling the bike around exacerbated the pain level, I purchased the Africa Twin.

Again it was the DCT version due damaged left foot which made changing gear painful. Now the Africa Twin is carrying my 1.85m 70 year old, 112kg partially knackered body so I can  continue my enjoyment of motorcycling.

I purchased the basic AT DCT version and included in that price I had fitted the taller touring screen, fender extender, Scottoiler (Vacuum) system and battery charger lead. The original Dunlop tyres (poor wet performance problem) were also swapped for Conti Trail Attack 2's when purchased.

I then added a radiator guard and filled the tyre tubes with 'Bike Seal'. Finally SW-Motech crash bars, spot lights (to be fitted soon) and tank bag. Like the CT there has been no suspension, exhaust changes etc to the stock bike.
    The difference in weight (40kg approximately) between the two bikes has helped enormously in decreasing my back pain when moving the AT around justifying the change.

However nothing can replace that excellent V4 engine with its torque and sound. Nor its excellent ability as a two up tourer with that smooth power. The AT will tour and cruise easily with high speed comfort but not in the league of the CT and the gearbox also needs to be used for rapid acceleration when compared to the CT. That said the AT has ample power and enough torque for any type of riding at law abiding speeds.

But the AT has its own definable character and being an inline twin it does however  feel like a V-Twin engine without the vibes although a very slight vibration can be felt at higher revolutions. The exhaust sound is distinctive and a pleasure to hear especially when engine braking when a quite phut, phut can be heard emitting from it.

The AT is far more nimble and responsive though with balanced power and despite the thin front wheel it has excellent input when cornering. It is also excellent in heavy traffic and less tiring than the CT.

I ride with the seat at its lowest setting (850mm) and like the CT visor up riding is no problem nor do I have any extreme wind noise or buffeting with the wind protection being very good. Two hours is the longest I have been on the seat and again like the CT there are no comfort problems. Due to its slim profile however the AT  does feel more comfortable especially with the wide bars.

Have now completed 1500 miles mostly A + B roads and the average economy is about 57 mpg or 20 kpl. You would certainly expect to get over 60 mpg with predominately motorway use. So no need to fill up until 200 miles at least.

The AT has performed perfectly so far and has been a very enjoyable experience and the factory set suspension is a big improvement from the CT which needed adjustment.  Minor niggles for me are the tool box with minimal tools, fixed to the nearside of the bike which then has to be removed with an Allen key to get access and also to get to the battery which then needs to be pulled out.

So there you have it one amateur write up from a very satisfied 'old man'. You may ask the question that if I had no prevalent back problems what bike would be in the garage now. Guess!!

Bill

• Offline ukstu

• Crosstourer Pro  ‐    488

Offline ukstu

• Crosstourer Pro
    • Bike: Crosstourer
    • City / Town: Warrington
    Re: Africa Twin - First Impressions
    Reply #1 on: Jun 09, 2017, 05.07 pm
    Jun 09, 2017, 05.07 pm
    Thanks for the report Yasko. Sounds like you're happy with your new ride, pleased it's allowed you to carry on enjoying riding.

Ride safe

Stu

• Offline pistnbroke   england

• Crosstourer Master  ‐    1572

Offline pistnbroke

• Crosstourer Master
    • Bike: crosstourer
    • City / Town: Irby
    Reply #2 on: Jun 09, 2017, 06.22 pm
    Jun 09, 2017, 06.22 pm
     :0461: , always makes life better the longer you can manage whatever way it is to stay on 2 wheels.
    Keep that engine revving Yasko.
    May your road be long and winding.
    ride safe and keep the smiles.  :028: :031:
    keep it shiny side up !!!

• Offline Stevensweert

• Crosstourer Master  ‐    641

Offline Stevensweert

• Crosstourer Master
    • Bike: VFR1200 X CT DCT
    • City / Town: Stevensweert
    Reply #3 on: Jun 09, 2017, 08.03 pm
    Jun 09, 2017, 08.03 pm
    Thank you for your report Yasko. I' m 65, and I also have a bad back. I now read there is hope for the future, for my future  :002:
    Tony

• Offline Dave56   gb

• Crosstourer Master  ‐    1794

Offline Dave56

• Crosstourer Master
    • Bike: CRF1100 DCT
    • City / Town: Grantham
    Reply #4 on: Jun 09, 2017, 08.11 pm
    Jun 09, 2017, 08.11 pm
    Brilliant, consise report Yakso and like pistnbroke says anything you can do to stay on two wheels.  :028:
    "The more the miles, the bigger the smiles"

• Offline HEN99

• Crosstourer Pro  ‐    393

Offline HEN99

• Crosstourer Pro
    Reply #5 on: Jun 19, 2017, 10.32 pm
    Jun 19, 2017, 10.32 pm
    Hi Yasko, good honest report, I also suffer from back problems - but sofar  I am still able to wheel the CT backwards over the stoney driveway- just !!! I also have looked at the AT as a possible replacement as and when ( being a worthy successor to my old KTM adventure) the CT becomes too much , However form what I understand - the AT is much inferior when it comes to two up touring - and as you indicated No V4  :003:
    Keep riding - keep smiling
     :305:

• Offline scotsy

• Crosstourer Master  ‐    1545

Offline scotsy

• Crosstourer Master
    • Bike: CRF1000
    • City / Town: Leigh,Lancashire
    Reply #6 on: Jun 19, 2017, 10.45 pm
    Jun 19, 2017, 10.45 pm
    Do you know the allen key for the toolbox is clipped into the rider seat base ?  :062:

• Offline Yasko   england

• Crosstourer Master  ‐    1361
    • Topic Author

Offline Yasko

• Crosstourer Master
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: Africa Twin DCT
    • City / Town: Canterbury
    Reply #7 on: Jun 20, 2017, 07.41 am
    Jun 20, 2017, 07.41 am
    Thanks for all the replies.
    *Originally Posted by scotsy [+]
    Do you know the allen key for the toolbox is clipped into the rider seat base ?  :062:

Yes scotsy I forgot to mention that. I keep mine in the tank bag as I  have not mastered the technique yet in putting the seat back quickly into the lower position.  :305: safe all

Bill