Author Topic: NC500 on the TV  (Read 2185 times)

• Offline andyrob

• Crosstourer Master  ‐    694
    • Topic Author

Offline andyrob

• Crosstourer Master
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: VFRXDCT
    • City / Town: Beith, Ex-0141
    NC500 on the TV
    on: Jun 02, 2017, 09.06 am
    Jun 02, 2017, 09.06 am
    There is quite a good wee series on BBC ALBA and possibly on BBC iplayer about driving clockwise round the NC500 in Scotland.

Its mostly in Gaelic (Gah-lick)

Its very pretty and not just the presenter. She cuts about in a horrific tin can though.

There is a Crosstourer in it.

I'll be doing bits n bobs of it at the same time of year, this year.  :305: So its a good bit of watchable research.

• Offline slomogadgie   scotland

• Non Active
    • Crosstourer Master  ‐    1233

Offline slomogadgie

• Non Active
    • Crosstourer Master
    • Bike: Olde School CT
    • City / Town: Peternapper
    Re: NC500 on the TV
    Reply #1 on: Jun 02, 2017, 02.03 pm
    Jun 02, 2017, 02.03 pm
    it is a very nice route. I'm just worried it will turn into a slow moving car park though. One of my motorcycling highlights was doing the route several years ago. Must have gone about 100 miles and seen about 10 cars (well it might have been 11). I fear the only good thing now will be revenue going to garages and B&B etc.
    What do you mean it's raining....get ootside and ride the thing.

• Offline ukstu

• Crosstourer Pro  ‐    488

Offline ukstu

• Crosstourer Pro
    • Bike: Crosstourer
    • City / Town: Warrington
    Reply #2 on: Jun 02, 2017, 05.21 pm
    Jun 02, 2017, 05.21 pm
    I spent the majority of the last 2 years living in Thurso, which is on the NC500 route. I have noticed a massive increase in the number of bikes (I've seen more this season already than in all of the last 2 years) and "special" cars travelling in large groups. A friend on mine up there has a B&B in Tongue and tells me it's fully booked for this year with NC500 travellers.

I agree with slomo, it could end up a 500 mile car park especially on the single track sections. I've never done the full route but all of it in parts and it is superb.

• Offline neep

• Crosstourer Member  ‐    33

Offline neep

• Crosstourer Member
    Reply #3 on: Jun 03, 2017, 11.35 am
    Jun 03, 2017, 11.35 am
    I did about a third of it earlier this year and there was traffic for quite a bit of it.  I fear it may become a victim of it's own success. 

The scenery is amazing though and the roads are fun to drive.  Hoping to go and do the full loop later in the summer on my CT.

• Offline slomogadgie   scotland

• Non Active
    • Crosstourer Master  ‐    1233

Offline slomogadgie

• Non Active
    • Crosstourer Master
    • Bike: Olde School CT
    • City / Town: Peternapper
    Reply #4 on: Jun 03, 2017, 02.18 pm
    Jun 03, 2017, 02.18 pm
    *Originally Posted by ukstu [+]
    I spent the majority of the last 2 years living in Thurso, which is on the NC500 route. I have noticed a massive increase in the number of bikes (I've seen more this season already than in all of the last 2 years) and "special" cars travelling in large groups. A friend on mine up there has a B&B in Tongue and tells me it's fully booked for this year with NC500 travellers.

I agree with slomo, it could end up a 500 mile car park especially on the single track sections. I've never done the full route but all of it in parts and it is superb.

Aye great for the B&B's etc. Pretty sure the other people from the area will get fed up trying to get about though haha
    What do you mean it's raining....get ootside and ride the thing.

• Offline gbmud

• Crosstourer Junior  ‐    5

Offline gbmud

• Crosstourer Junior
    • Bike: 2016 CT
    • City / Town: Horsham
    Reply #5 on: Jun 06, 2017, 05.21 pm
    Jun 06, 2017, 05.21 pm
    I did the NC500 in a car at Easter this year.  Starting from Inverness we went around anti-clockwise.  There was traffic, but it was by no means excessive and did not hold us up in any way.  Weather was not brilliant, and perhaps if it had been there may have been more traffic, but given that we started on Good Friday and finished on Easter Monday I was pleasantly surprised!

Easyjet flights from Gatwick to Inverness and back are (were, over Easter) less than £80 so if you have a loved one who does not fancy a long motorway trip that is easy to overcome too.

Hope this helps.

Chris

• Offline pistnbroke   england

• Crosstourer Master  ‐    1572

Offline pistnbroke

• Crosstourer Master
    • Bike: crosstourer
    • City / Town: Irby
    Reply #6 on: Jun 09, 2017, 02.36 pm
    Jun 09, 2017, 02.36 pm
    Good thinking gbmud, that could be a ride for the next year Ct group, out of season of course.
    Let the ladies fly up and we can meet them.  :028:  :031:
    keep it shiny side up !!!