Author Topic: Honda Shock v Maxton v Fournales  (Read 6263 times)

• Offline hoppicker   gb

• Crosstourer Member  ‐    84
    • Topic Author

Offline hoppicker

• Crosstourer Member
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: BMW K1 R80GS
    • City / Town: STAPLEHURST
    Honda Shock v Maxton v Fournales
    on: May 31, 2017, 08.35 pm
    May 31, 2017, 08.35 pm
    Great bike let down by poor suspension. So had forks sorted by Maxton and one of their NR 4 shocks for the  rear.  Good company to deal with Richard top bloke. Very pleased with fork set up much better ride quality and confident handling. Took me a while to set the rear up. The shock came with the compression damping set much to stiff but after advice from Richard and a bit of fiddling with rebound damping I found some settings I liked.
    I have had a Fournales air shock on my BMW K1 for over 20 years now and have always thought it a good bit of kit. So when SWMBO was looking the other way I ordered one. Build quality on a par with Maxton superb machining and overall finish. I thought the  sag with me on the bike a bit to much so re-pressured it to the recommended 24 bar.  I have done about 150 miles on it so far and I am very impressed. It handles small road imperfections better than the Maxton and the damping, which is not adjustable, seems spot on. It handles big pot holes or bumps slightly better than the Maxton which I can only put down to the different characteristics of the air versus the metal spring.  It is less jarring on big bumps as does not bottom out like a spring shock.
    So you ask which is best? Not sure I can say yet as I need to put more miles on the Fournales before I can give a true opinion The Fournales requires a high pressure pump to adjust the pre load so suits someone like me that never carries a pillion ( she gave that up 45 years ago phew!). Its a bit dearer at £547 against the standard Maxton at £504 ( 2 years ago). The Maxton is easy to adjust without paying about another £200 for the remote adjuster. I was told when I bought the first Fournales that it would take about 500 miles to run in and they were right so I expect the new one could  get even better. The Fournales has definitely been easier to  set up with only the air pressure to alter.
    Only one thing certain both are better than the OE shock.
    VF1200X  XRV750 AFRICA TWIN
    BMW K1 HONDA SH125i
    BMW R80GS BMW R75/6
    HONDA NC750D INTEGRA

• Offline harmony

• Crosstourer Pro  ‐    231

Offline harmony

• Crosstourer Pro
    Re: Honda Shock v Maxton v Fournales
    Reply #1 on: May 31, 2017, 11.54 pm
    May 31, 2017, 11.54 pm
     :460:
    deadmeercats

• Offline FZ1

• Crosstourer Pro  ‐    261

Offline FZ1

• Crosstourer Pro
    • Bike: CT 2012 Manual
    • City / Town: Cambridgeshire
    Reply #2 on: Jun 01, 2017, 06.36 pm
    Jun 01, 2017, 06.36 pm
    I think some people get on OK with the stock suspension, but (like you) I have changed mine front & back (Andreani cartridges & fixed-rate springs in the front and Nitron "one-way" shock on the back).

In many years of riding bikes, I've never had an air shock, so can I ask some "numpty" questions?

1. What sort of cost is the high-pressure pump to set it up?

2. Do they need more frequent servicing than conventional shocks? (e.g. how do the seals hold-up? Distance between rebuilds, etc?)

3. Do they have compression/rebound settings like a conventional shock?

Cheers,

Jon

• Offline Chrisp62

• Crosstourer Junior  ‐    3

Offline Chrisp62

• Crosstourer Junior
    • Bike: vfr1200xc HIGHLA
    • City / Town: Newcastle
    Reply #3 on: Jun 01, 2017, 07.58 pm
    Jun 01, 2017, 07.58 pm
     :084: :084: :084:
    *Originally Posted by harmony [+]
    :460:
    Hi,  I have just joined the forum so a welcome site indeed.  i have been fiddling with my suspension lately as have a winter bike and just put the Crosser back on the road and fitted new tyres.. Can i say if you haven't tried them the New Dunlop sport max road smart 111 for this machine are very good so far,  i was rather dissapointed in the stock tyre, good grip but really bad wear and white lining very quickly. 
    these have transformed the bikes handling but be aware  a bit un nerving at first as needs a lot less input to change direction as before.
    i am or seem to be around a constant 72 kgin weight ,   i have the suspension on min  and lately found the damping setting which was on hard ? weird and altered that,  still a hard ride so bought a second hand tourtech seat which dosent help, better contour but too firm for my deriare!!..
    i need advice on this as the bike only seems ok when fully loaded with wife and extra baggage ssshhh..
    i recently took out an african twin, these have the ride and comfort i need but seriously lacking our performance..  i think honda is missing a trick here, bad suspension, clanky shaft or a good bike with a lack of ummph ? whats your thoughts and dislikes, i am in two minds and this next trip round the uk in August will decide it for me. if i change the suspension i still have to live with the shaft clank an dont like that, technically it shouldnt do that and the i recall the Honda advert saying "is that the best we can do " well i dont think they perfected this and there should be a fix.   replies much appreciated..  cheers & all the best Chris p
    chrisp..

• Offline hoppicker   gb

• Topic Author

Offline hoppicker

• Crosstourer Member
    • Topic Author
    Reply #4 on: Jun 01, 2017, 09.40 pm
    Jun 01, 2017, 09.40 pm
    Hi Jon, first of all questions not numpty. I hope this helps.
     1. Fournales list three pumps of different pressure capabilities. The one I have is the HP25 which has a maximum rating of 25 bar so is just about capable of getting the CT shock up to the 24 bar they recommend. It is listed at £139. The shock on my K1 only has 10.8 bar in it which is easy to achieve. I think that if I were to start carrying a pillion the pressure may have to be raised a bit more. There are other pumps on the market which are a lot cheaper and that is the route I would take if I was starting from scratch now.
     2. The shock on the K1 has done just on 50,000 miles. Because these shocks contain a very small quantity of air it is not possible to test the pressure in them with a gauge as meerly putting the gauge on releases enough air to muck up the reading. You have to connect the pump, then pump it up to the required pressure on the gauge. When you disconnect the pump it sounds as if you are loosing a lot of air but this is only coming from the pump and hose as the valve on the shock shuts as soon as the hose is removed. I have always done this procedure once a year on the K1. I dont think it looses any pressure from one year to the next. Nothing else has been done to the shock from new. I know 50,000 miles is not a lot in 20 years but for the first 3 years it was doing 10,000 miles annually. Since then I have always had another bike as my main two wheel transport.
     3. There is no facility to alter either the compression or rebound damping on the Fournales. I have personally not felt that it would benifit from having it.
      I believe Fournales made the landing gear for Concorde which would explain the quality of their product.
    BMW K1 HONDA SH125i
    BMW R80GS BMW R75/6
    HONDA NC750D INTEGRA

• Offline FZ1

• Crosstourer Pro  ‐    261

Offline FZ1

• Crosstourer Pro
    • Bike: CT 2012 Manual
    • City / Town: Cambridgeshire
    Reply #5 on: Jun 01, 2017, 09.54 pm
    Jun 01, 2017, 09.54 pm
    Thanks for the detailed answer, much appreciated - Every day is a school day!  :152:

• Offline slomogadgie   scotland

• Non Active
    • Crosstourer Master  ‐    1233

Offline slomogadgie

• Non Active
    • Crosstourer Master
    • Bike: Olde School CT
    • City / Town: Peternapper
    Reply #6 on: Jun 02, 2017, 07.10 am
    Jun 02, 2017, 07.10 am
    *Originally Posted by hoppicker [+]
    Hi Jon, first of all questions not numpty. I hope this helps.
     1. Fournales list three pumps of different pressure capabilities. The one I have is the HP25 which has a maximum rating of 25 bar so is just about capable of getting the CT shock up to the 24 bar they recommend. It is listed at £139. The shock on my K1 only has 10.8 bar in it which is easy to achieve. I think that if I were to start carrying a pillion the pressure may have to be raised a bit more. There are other pumps on the market which are a lot cheaper and that is the route I would take if I was starting from scratch now.
     2. The shock on the K1 has done just on 50,000 miles. Because these shocks contain a very small quantity of air it is not possible to test the pressure in them with a gauge as meerly putting the gauge on releases enough air to muck up the reading. You have to connect the pump, then pump it up to the required pressure on the gauge. When you disconnect the pump it sounds as if you are loosing a lot of air but this is only coming from the pump and hose as the valve on the shock shuts as soon as the hose is removed. I have always done this procedure once a year on the K1. I dont think it looses any pressure from one year to the next. Nothing else has been done to the shock from new. I know 50,000 miles is not a lot in 20 years but for the first 3 years it was doing 10,000 miles annually. Since then I have always had another bike as my main two wheel transport.
     3. There is no facility to alter either the compression or rebound damping on the Fournales. I have personally not felt that it would benifit from having it.
      I believe Fournales made the landing gear for Concorde which would explain the quality of their product.

Good postings.
    Just wondering why you say taking a reading with a gauge loses too much air/pressure. We do it all the time on our tyres that get a lot less bar/psi than the shock...are the shocks that sensitive to a few psi loss?
    Cheers
    What do you mean it's raining....get ootside and ride the thing.

• Offline hoppicker   gb

• Topic Author

Offline hoppicker

• Crosstourer Member
    • Topic Author
    Reply #7 on: Jun 02, 2017, 10.08 am
    Jun 02, 2017, 10.08 am
    Good point slomogadgie. The main difference between the shock and a tyre is volume. The shock has a volume of about a tea cup and an inflated tyre about a bucket. This and the huge difference in pressure, the CT shock at 24bar ( approx 360 psi) and the tyre at say 3bar (45psi), means that what appears to be a small loose of air when pushing a gauge on to the shock valve is in fact quite a lot as it is coming out at a much higher pressure. When a gauge is applied to a tyre valve and a little bit of air escapes there is still nearly a bucket full of it in the tyre. Hope that makes sense!
    BMW K1 HONDA SH125i
    BMW R80GS BMW R75/6
    HONDA NC750D INTEGRA

arab-exile