Author Topic: Honda shock v Hyperpro v Nitron  (Read 7433 times)

• Offline dens

• Crosstourer Member  ‐    66
    • Topic Author

Offline dens

• Crosstourer Member
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: CT & BMW RACER
    • City / Town: Newtownards
    Honda shock v Hyperpro v Nitron
    on: May 29, 2017, 08.17 am
    May 29, 2017, 08.17 am
    Some background.  I purchased a new 2012 Honda crosstourer DCT but like some was not happy with the oem Shock so replaced it with a Hyperpro unit. This was installed at 5000 miles and I have to say it was a big improvement. The ride was smoother and not as harsh over big bumps. After another 30,000 miles it was time to change to a new 2016 model ( the one with the adjustable screen). Having remove the Hyperpro shock from the 2012 X tourer I installed it in the 2016 one and all good for the next 5000miles
    But over the last 3 months or so I noticed that the handling was starting to go off. Now a total of 35,000 miles on any shock is not to bad and the time had come to either have it rebuilt or replace it. When I removed it there was signs of some oil leakage from the seal.  Giving it some thought I decided to buy a Nitron R2 shock which took about 4 weeks to arrive  it arrived last Friday so I installed it on Saturday which took about 4 hours to do. I couldn't get one of the side panel screws out so had to drill the head off etc😢 Which took some time. I think someone had cross threaded it. Installation was reasonably straight forward. ( not much grease in the shock BTM mounting bearings)
    Yesterday I went out to see if my money was well spent and I have to say I'm very pleased with the result   I would say it is much improved over the Hyperpro and no comparison with the Honda unit. The Nitron was built to my weight and riding requirements and came preset for sag compression and rebound damping. I have not needed to adjust it in the 150 miles I did yesterday   It went on straight out of the box.
    The Nitron is a quality piece of kit and nearly twice the cost of the Hyperpro. If anyone is considering an upgrade I would suggest going the extra mile for the Nitron especially if you do big miles, it really is that much better. I suppose you get what you pay for
    A note to anyone thinking of a Nitron ,if you carry a pillion and need to adjust the preload the go for the hydraulic remote adjuster as the manual one is very hard to get to. I don't carry a pillion so went for the manual one
    Front forks have Hyperpro springs with Silkolin oil which again a big improvement but not perfect. Now considering a Maxton re valve !
    Where does it stop :087:

• Offline ukstu

• Crosstourer Pro  ‐    488

Offline ukstu

• Crosstourer Pro
    • Bike: Crosstourer
    • City / Town: Warrington
    Re: Honda shock v Hyperpro v Nitron
    Reply #1 on: May 29, 2017, 08.47 am
    May 29, 2017, 08.47 am
    Thanks for the report dens. I'm considering a suspension upgrade and TBH it's a bit of a minefield to decide which one to go for. Once you've shelled out and fitted it's hard to go back.

I had pretty much settled on Maxton revalve and springs for the forks and Maxton NR4 shock. Works out about £1k with them removing the forks and doing the upgrade, bit cheaper if I take them off the bike and refit myself. They seem like a really good outfit having spoken to them and they are about 10 miles from my home.

Where did you get the Nitron shock and about how much was it?

Cheers

Stu

• Offline Hartley   england

• Crosstourer God  ‐    3074

Offline Hartley

• Crosstourer God
    • City / Town: Northampton
    Reply #2 on: May 29, 2017, 09.06 am
    May 29, 2017, 09.06 am
    Thanks for the info  :028:.  I've been mulling over a Nitron shock too. Initially looking around seems to be around a grand with remote. Few reasons, better ride obviously but had the standard shock fail on my last CT and very near upper weight limit when two up touring.

• Offline dens

• Topic Author

Offline dens

• Crosstourer Member
    • Topic Author
    Reply #3 on: May 29, 2017, 09.19 am
    May 29, 2017, 09.19 am
    Hi Stu I bought it on the web shop directly from Nitron themselves and it cost£765. Not cheap but the price of 3 sets of tyres. The best I can compare the Nitron to is my son has a 1200s multistrada with ohlins and it feels really very close the it for a quality ride , compliant but controlled  Try the Hyperpro front springs but use 15w Silkolin oil not the Hyperpro oil as I feel it provides a better feel.
    Reading other posts here if you are going the Maxton route they have used Hyperpro springs for their fork conversions before. So if you go down this route it may not be a waste of money. I also have been in touch with Maxton about sorting the front and I think they were looking for £400 ish for the work but I live in N Ireland so that's me taking forks out and posting them to them. I probably will go down this route but not until the Autumn as I don't want to be off road
    Hope this helps

• Offline dens

• Topic Author

Offline dens

• Crosstourer Member
    • Topic Author
    Reply #4 on: May 29, 2017, 09.25 am
    May 29, 2017, 09.25 am
    Hi Hartley if you are two up you need the remote adjuster. I briefly looked at Ohlins but to expensive and there seems to be a vagueness about fittment
    Also with Nitron or Maxton they are a well established British company's with good track record and I can get in touch with them regards servicing etc

• Offline ukstu

• Crosstourer Pro  ‐    488

Offline ukstu

• Crosstourer Pro
    • City / Town: Warrington
    Reply #5 on: May 29, 2017, 09.36 am
    May 29, 2017, 09.36 am
    Thanks dens, yes it does help. You can get the remote preload adjuster for the Maxton shock. Suspect it would take the cost of the shock to around the same as the Nitron (the basic NR4 is around 500).

I'm also for using UK companies, Maxton seem really customer focussed and close to me so any problems would get fixed quickly and easily (hopefully). Not to say Nitron aren't very good too, seem to have a great reputation.

Did I understand you correctly that Maxton use Hyperpro springs dens?

Thx

Stu

• Offline dens

• Topic Author

Offline dens

• Crosstourer Member
    • Topic Author
    Reply #6 on: May 29, 2017, 09.48 am
    May 29, 2017, 09.48 am
    Hi Stu I have read here that someone had fork work by Maxton but he had already had installed Hyperpro springs. Now if I remember correctly Maxton do have there own springs but they were happy to use the Hyperpro ones. They said that they OK to use for the riders weight etc , that's not to say when I or someone else requires work they might want to use a different strength of Spring. I suppose it depends on rider weight,pillion , luggage and what you want from the forks   

• Offline dens

• Topic Author

Offline dens

• Crosstourer Member
    • Topic Author
    Reply #7 on: May 29, 2017, 10.06 am
    May 29, 2017, 10.06 am
    Nitron R2