Author Topic: CT v BMW GS  (Read 11914 times)

• Offline MotoGpNick

• Crosstourer Master  ‐    764
    • Topic Author

Offline MotoGpNick

• Crosstourer Master
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: VFR1200XSE White
    CT v BMW GS
    on: May 17, 2017, 07.55 am
    May 17, 2017, 07.55 am
    BMW had an open day at Bury Hill at the weekend so I took the chance to ride the GS out of interest. Apart from a couple of points I found them quite similar to ride apart from :

a) GS drivetrain much better - no jerkiness and quiet.
    b) Clutch very light on the GS and lever adjusters brilliant.
    c) Throttle response much smoother on the GS.

Not enough to make me think "I want this" - the ride experience was very similar.

I also rode the R1200RS - now that I did like and is going on the list for the next bike.......
     :305:
    Yam YDS7,Suzuki T350 Rebel,Kawasaki 350 S2, Suzuki GT550, Kawasaki H1B 500, Kawasaki H2 750, Kawasaki Z1 900, Suzuki RE5 (stolen) Matchless 350 Trials, Kawasaki GTR 1000, ZZR1100C3, ZZR1100D2, Honda 900 Bandit, Suzuki SV1000K5 SZ, Honda Blackbird x 2, Honda Varadero 1000 - Honda CT

• Offline josephdrose

• Crosstourer Junior  ‐    7

Offline josephdrose

• Crosstourer Junior
    Re: CT v BMW GS
    Reply #1 on: May 17, 2017, 02.43 pm
    May 17, 2017, 02.43 pm
    I owned a GS for a long time; the maintenance is quite expensive and frequent (at least compared to the VFR).  I also didn't find it nearly as powerful, but that's to be expected when comparing a boxer twin to a V4.

• Offline sire

• Crosstourer Member  ‐    85

Offline sire

• Crosstourer Member
    Reply #2 on: May 17, 2017, 05.33 pm
    May 17, 2017, 05.33 pm
    I did think about buying a GS when I bought my CT but I couldn't face the damage it would do to my reputation.

I see two commuters regularly on GS's - one rides with full beam on all the time ("So the idiot drivers can see me"). It's blinding.  I've seen the other guy ride down the hard shoulder because the traffic is stationary. I'm sure they're both nice blokes, it's just the b8stard inside comes out on a GS. Doubtful.

The three things that set the CT apart for me are the DCT, the V4, and the bullet-proof chassis.

• Offline Besteiro

• Crosstourer Member  ‐    17

Offline Besteiro

• Crosstourer Member
    • Bike: Crosstourer DCT
    • City / Town: Fakenham
    Reply #3 on: May 17, 2017, 06.31 pm
    May 17, 2017, 06.31 pm
    I have owned three GS  Adventures before the CT and on each one the rear bearing went within 25k miles..  on one I had four go within 50k miles...    and on each I had a warranty repair within the first 10k miles..  on my CT apart form annual service not a single issue ..  so far 15k miles.
    The CT  engine is vastly superior, and so much smoother and more powerful than the GS  twin.

The CT  is definitely better engineered in my opinion, the GS  however is better marketed...!!
    Clive

• Offline josephdrose

Offline josephdrose

• Crosstourer Junior
    Reply #4 on: May 17, 2017, 06.45 pm
    May 17, 2017, 06.45 pm
    The only thing I wonder is how bulletproof it will be offroad.  I took my GS offroad quite a bit and it handled the occasional low speed drops just fine.  It was a pig, and it got stuck a lot, but it was sturdy.

I'll find out soon; I plan to do the same with the CT.  The honda light bars feel pretty flimsy though; I wonder if they will take a fall.

• Offline Besteiro

• Crosstourer Member  ‐    17

Offline Besteiro

• Crosstourer Member
    • Bike: Crosstourer DCT
    • City / Town: Fakenham
    Reply #5 on: May 17, 2017, 06.51 pm
    May 17, 2017, 06.51 pm
    Well I rode my GS  from London to Cape Town..  it broke down in Dar es Salaam...  rear bearing went!!!  and I had to have a new one flown out from the UK.!!

But it was heavy, very tricky in the desert in Sudan and I wouldn't recommend riding either off-road...  they are both over 250KGs  and far too heavy for off road, and too powerful, you don't need it or want it if you are seriously off road.

Good luck though...  rather you than me..!!

Clive

• Offline Rex

• Crosstourer Pro  ‐    175

Offline Rex

• Crosstourer Pro
    Reply #6 on: May 17, 2017, 06.54 pm
    May 17, 2017, 06.54 pm
    I test rode the R1200GS LC couple of years ago.

1) It's not as comfortable as a Crosstourer. Wind protection is not as good on the BMW. And, more importantly, GS vibrates from ~4500 rpm and above. More rpms = more vibes. Which makes GS uncomfortable to ride faster than 130 km/h for a long periods of time. No such problems on a Crosstourer: you can ride it on any speed all day without the discomfort.

2) Speed. GS is not even closely as fun to ride and accelerate as a Crosstourer. CT feels like a beast in a tuxedo. GS doesn't.

3) Gearbox. GS,s box with an additional quickshifter is definitely better than the box without quickshifter. But, in any case, it's not even closely as good an pleasant to use as a Honda DCT. Not even in the same league, actually: Honda is MILES ahead.

4) Reliability. BMWs are known to be very unreliable and expensive to have. While Crosstourer, on the other hand, is one of the most reliable and "bulletproof" big motorcycle currently on the market.

There are some areas where GS is better than the CT:

1) Electronic bells and whistles - GS have tons of them. CT - only couple of them. No cruise control, ABS and TC are not cornering, no electronic suspensions, not even a god damn LED headlight (while all the other smaller cheaper adv-segment Hondas already have it). That's sad. CT needs to be heavily updated and revised NOW! I hope for the 2018 model.

2) Driveshaft - I also felt it's better on the GS than on the CT. On the other hand, R1200R I test rode in January had a bad jerky driveshaft - even worse than Honda's shaft.

3) Front brakes. There's nothing really wrong with Crosstourer's brakes - they do their job well. But they are average. GS's front brakes, on the other hand, are top end - they are very powerful and awesome. Probably the best front brakes I've ever met on the motorcycles (and I test rode a lot of them, including the most recent and expensive ones).

Overall Crosstourer is much better bike than the GS. Although BMW is better than Honda in some aspects.

*Originally Posted by Besteiro [+]
    The CT  is definitely better engineered in my opinion, the GS  however is better marketed...!!
    I completely agree. It seems that Honda doesn't even know what marketing is - that's how badly Crosstourer is marketed from the beginning. They made a great motorcycle, but they don't even try to market it properly and sell more. I mean WTF???

*Originally Posted by josephdrose [+]
    The honda light bars feel pretty flimsy though; I wonder if they will take a fall.
    They won't. Don't even try: you'll regret.
    Last Edit: May 17, 2017, 07.03 pm by Rex

• Offline josephdrose

Offline josephdrose

• Crosstourer Junior
    Reply #7 on: May 17, 2017, 07.06 pm
    May 17, 2017, 07.06 pm
    *Originally Posted by Rex [+]
    They won't. Don't even try: you'll regret.

Are there a set of bars out there that hold up?  I know I can get the Givi bars here in the states pretty quickly.

arab-exile