Author Topic: Bl**dy road tax  (Read 4689 times)

• Offline Martymouse

• Crosstourer Master  ‐    592
    • Topic Author

Offline Martymouse

• Crosstourer Master
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: VFR1200X DCT
    • City / Town: Holywell
    Bl**dy road tax
    on: May 10, 2017, 07.41 pm
    May 10, 2017, 07.41 pm
    Today I got a letter from the lovely people at DVLA telling me my bike was not taxed and to do something about it ... or words to that effect.  :086:
    Weird, I thought as I am pretty good at paying road tax and hadn't had a reminder and, of course, without the tax disc you don't always know.
    Accepting I am old and suffering memory loss I went online to do it and the DVLA system told me my bike hadn't been taxed since 1st March ...... 2016!!  :005:
    Well, I wasn't happy about that and assumed their data was wrong so rang them up and spoke to an ever so polite lady eventually.
    I thought it odd that the road-tax police hadn't been at my door with me not having road tax, apparently for 14 months.  Her response was 'the computer must have missed you ... but we know now.  Would you like to pay?'.  No apology, no concern my insurance might have been invalid or the plod would be feeling my shoulder because of their mistake. OK, and I dug out my card to pay the £85 for the year. 
    "That will be £85 sir, from 1st May ...' and, wait for it, '... £92 for the arrears.  There won't be any fine [gee thanks] but we will take action if it is not paid'.  I had said I used the bike and was my insurance invalidated ('I can't comment on that sir') so had no way out.
    So a word to the wiser ... double check your road tax and if you speak to the DVLA and have any arrears don't admit your bike was being used (but don't lie either - you know the fine line).  :164:

ps Mr Moderator - if my title is not acceptable, feel free to moderate it ... I already have!!
    Puch125, CD175, CB175, C90, CB100, CB900, VF750, K100, CBR1000, CBR1000, DR650SE, RF900R, Bayliner, RF900R, Super Blackbird, Piaggio X9 125, Burgman 650, Hayabusa, VFR1200F, VFR1200X, F800 GT,

• Offline Maverick

Offline Maverick

• Crosstourer Master
    • City / Town: East Sussex
    Re: Bl**dy road tax
    Reply #1 on: May 10, 2017, 08.16 pm
    May 10, 2017, 08.16 pm
    Might be getting near MOT time if the bike is 3 years old  :164:

• Offline Martymouse

• Topic Author

Offline Martymouse

• Crosstourer Master
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: VFR1200X DCT
    • City / Town: Holywell
    Reply #2 on: May 10, 2017, 10.07 pm
    May 10, 2017, 10.07 pm
    MOT is done ...
    Puch125, CD175, CB175, C90, CB100, CB900, VF750, K100, CBR1000, CBR1000, DR650SE, RF900R, Bayliner, RF900R, Super Blackbird, Piaggio X9 125, Burgman 650, Hayabusa, VFR1200F, VFR1200X, F800 GT,

• Offline Yasko   england

• Crosstourer Master  ‐    1361

Offline Yasko

• Crosstourer Master
    • Bike: Africa Twin DCT
    • City / Town: Canterbury
    Reply #3 on: May 11, 2017, 06.55 am
    May 11, 2017, 06.55 am
    When the issuing of road tax disc ceased and knowing of possible DVLA system errors, also my tendency to have 'senior moments' i adopted the following procedure. Check tax status on line and expiry date. Put renewal date on computer calendar two weeks before expiry when I should have received the renewal document. I also keep an updated list for everything that is put into the calendar each year.
    As for the insurance side, generally speaking, if a car is driven without any valid road tax, car insurers are still obliged to honour and pay for any claims made for the vehicle. Although driving without tax is an offence, it is irrelevant in most cases to what is stated as being a prerequisite for insurance cover.

Car insurance contracts stipulate that a vehicle must be in a roadworthy condition and as such, driving without tax, which is a Vehicle Excise Duty bears no relevance to the roadworthiness of a vehicle.

In the event of an accident however, a car insurance provider may use whatever means they have to avoid paying for a claim. In such cases, the contract clause will not usually state such terms directly and advice should be sought from a legal representative.
    Bill

• Offline GADGET

• Crosstourer Master  ‐    610

Offline GADGET

• Crosstourer Master
    Reply #4 on: May 11, 2017, 09.24 am
    May 11, 2017, 09.24 am
    I pay by monthly direct debit, easy to SORN to stop payments.
    You were lucky not to get an automatic fine on top, I did, similar senior forgetfulness!

• Offline harmony

• Crosstourer Pro  ‐    231

Offline harmony

• Crosstourer Pro
    Reply #5 on: May 11, 2017, 10.19 am
    May 11, 2017, 10.19 am
    I also pay by monthly direct debit.  Nothing to remember and no big surprises.  The tax appears each month on my statement with the registration number.
    deadmeercats

• Offline HEN99

• Crosstourer Pro  ‐    393

Offline HEN99

• Crosstourer Pro
    Reply #6 on: May 11, 2017, 12.12 pm
    May 11, 2017, 12.12 pm
    Yes I think its going to happen more and more in the never ending quest by` big brother` to save money - first they want you to go paperless , then they will eventually  sub the work to some cheepo third party set up - always safe in the knowledge -that they can fine you  :156: for their own inefficiencies - Meanwhile anybody who drives around with no tax only gets a slap on the wrist by the courts if they get caught . its enough to make you ... :157: :157: :157:
     :305:

• Offline Fatsam47

• Crosstourer Pro  ‐    322

Offline Fatsam47

• Crosstourer Pro
    Reply #7 on: May 11, 2017, 12.48 pm
    May 11, 2017, 12.48 pm
    I've seen a fair few cars clamped for no tax in my neck of the woods. I think if they don't pay tax plus on-costs car gets taken and crushed or sold on.

I'm quite happy with the on-line system, use the DD myself. Maybe not quite old enough for senior moments yet.  :007:

Another advantage is that you don't have to figure where to bolt some horrible tax disc holder, that inevitably goes rusty so you can't open the damn thing.