Author Topic: ABS light flashing  (Read 6845 times)

• Offline drm4rtin

• Crosstourer Member  ‐    75
    • Topic Author

Offline drm4rtin

• Crosstourer Member
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: VFR1200X
    • City / Town: Örnsköldsvik
    ABS light flashing
    on: May 07, 2017, 11.30 am
    May 07, 2017, 11.30 am
    Hi, I was out for a cruise today. Suddenly the ABS light starts flashing. According to the instruction book, it should be reset if you turn off the ignition. That said, it works. For a while... then it starts flashing again. After switching off the ignition, it seems to be restored and works for 15 minutes or so before it starts flashing again.

I have tested to disconnect the battery (rather new one) so I see that the clock is reset and probably everything else is reset. (Do not know if this can solve the problem, but in the absence of ideas then ...)

An inspection of cables and sensors as well as pads does not show anything remarkable. Any ideas?

(I haven't reconnected the battery yet and take it out for a new run). This occured once last year and haven't occurred since, but now three times in a row.
    Happiness is not a station you arrive at, but a manner of traveling

• Offline drm4rtin

• Topic Author

Offline drm4rtin

• Crosstourer Member
    • Topic Author
    Re: ABS light flashing
    Reply #1 on: May 07, 2017, 01.29 pm
    May 07, 2017, 01.29 pm
    Found my issue in the service manual. It's explained as a "temporary failure" and the ABS needs to be reset.
    Followed the instructions (see pic) and it seems like it worked! So no need for you guys to look any further ;)

• Offline veeefour

• Crosstourer Pro  ‐    290

Offline veeefour

• Crosstourer Pro
    • Bike: VFR1200F
    Reply #2 on: May 07, 2017, 01.40 pm
    May 07, 2017, 01.40 pm
    From my experience flashing ABS means voltage problem - usually it means your batter is almost "kaput".

• Offline Yasko   england

• Crosstourer Master  ‐    1361

Offline Yasko

• Crosstourer Master
    • Bike: Africa Twin DCT
    • City / Town: Canterbury
    Reply #3 on: May 07, 2017, 01.43 pm
    May 07, 2017, 01.43 pm
    If there is no damage visible as you say, your brakes are working normally, and the fault is still there after a re-start then there is probably a sensor/modulator fault whereupon the ECU gets an abnormal signal(s), or the lack of a signal from any of the sensors. The ABS light then comes on to warn the rider of problem/non function of ABS. Providing there is no loss of braking power take it straight to the dealer for examination. It could be as Veeefour stated re the battery although you indicate it was (rather new one). I'd play safe and take it to the dealer.

Last Edit: May 07, 2017, 01.49 pm by Yasko
    Bill

• Offline drm4rtin

• Topic Author

Offline drm4rtin

• Crosstourer Member
    • Topic Author
    Reply #4 on: May 07, 2017, 03.29 pm
    May 07, 2017, 03.29 pm
    The battery was bought "in the middle of nowhere" (I had a huge amount of luck to even find an YTZ-14S in a tiny village where my 4 year old battery decided to give up). The somewhat new battery is a chinese "cheap sh#t" so it may be the root cause. I'll measure it up while charging, ignition off and under load. I will also see if the battery drops below 12,4 volt with ignition off. Resetting the ABS might have solved it too. Nevertheless, I'll keep an eye on it and keep you guys posted. But he battery sounds fresh while cranking the starter.
    Thanks for your participation!

• Offline drm4rtin

• Topic Author

Offline drm4rtin

• Crosstourer Member
    • Topic Author
    Reply #5 on: May 07, 2017, 03.52 pm
    May 07, 2017, 03.52 pm
    *Originally Posted by drm4rtin [+]
    ... I will also see if the battery drops below 12,4 volt with ignition off...

Here are my readings
    Ignition off = 12,6 Volts
    Ignition on (headlight on) = 11.88 volts (for quite a long time before it drops to 11.87)
    Ignition off (after shutting off ignition) starts at 12.4 volts and slowly increases to 12.6 again
    Engine running = 13.9-14 volts.

• Offline drm4rtin

• Topic Author

Offline drm4rtin

• Crosstourer Member
    • Topic Author
    Reply #6 on: May 10, 2017, 07.05 pm
    May 10, 2017, 07.05 pm
    Hi, it's me again. Sorry for bothering you guys again. I checked the service manual, it says that the gap between the ABS-sensor and pulser ring should be within 0.4 to 1.2 mm, mine i 1,5 mm. Out of spec in other words. But theres no way to adjust it, everything is mounted by the book. Do I need to replace the pulser ring? I assume the tolerances are there for a reason...

• Offline Fredz   au

• Crosstourer Pro  ‐    118

Offline Fredz

• Crosstourer Pro
    Reply #7 on: May 11, 2017, 11.27 am
    May 11, 2017, 11.27 am
    Since the rings don't wear, a new one will be the same gap.  I wonder why the gap has increase, presumably only recently?  Has it had a tyre change recently?  If so, maybe the sensor got distorted.  Is there any movement in the wheel bearings or axle?

The service manual explains who to retrieve the fault code.  Are you able to do that in order to pin-point the cause? 
    I couldn't see any reference to 'temporary failure' in the ABS section.  Where exactly did you see that?
    Last Edit: May 11, 2017, 11.51 am by Fredz

arab-exile