Author Topic: Stalling  (Read 4473 times)

• Offline sire

• Crosstourer Member  ‐    85
    • Topic Author

Offline sire

• Crosstourer Member
    • Topic Author
    Stalling
    on: Apr 24, 2017, 04.47 pm
    Apr 24, 2017, 04.47 pm
    Searched the forum and can't find anything - so I'd appreciate comments:

My CT is coming up to a year old and 11k miles. It's a DCT. Over the last 6 months (and getting progressively more common) it's stalling on pulling away. This morning it happened on a roundabout - I ended up sitting in the middle of the road like a plum, and luckily the van-driver didn't run me over. I have to switch-off, wait, switch on, wait, put it into gear and pull away. On a level crossing I'd be in deep.  :172:

I'm trying to get it booked into the main dealer (who don't seem interested). Anyone else experienced the stalling on the DCT?

• Offline Martymouse

• Crosstourer Master  ‐    592

Offline Martymouse

• Crosstourer Master
    • Bike: VFR1200X DCT
    • City / Town: Holywell
    Re: Stalling
    Reply #1 on: Apr 24, 2017, 05.05 pm
    Apr 24, 2017, 05.05 pm
    Seems ironic that one of the best things about the DCT is that you can't stall ... but that isn't really about pulling away.
    Sounds a pain, and I can shed no useful light other than to say (unhelpfully) that it has never happened to me (9.5K miles and 4 years old).
    However, hope you get it sorted.
    Puch125, CD175, CB175, C90, CB100, CB900, VF750, K100, CBR1000, CBR1000, DR650SE, RF900R, Bayliner, RF900R, Super Blackbird, Piaggio X9 125, Burgman 650, Hayabusa, VFR1200F, VFR1200X, F800 GT,

• Offline sire

• Topic Author

Offline sire

• Crosstourer Member
    • Topic Author
    Reply #2 on: Apr 24, 2017, 05.16 pm
    Apr 24, 2017, 05.16 pm
    Thanks Marty. I suspect it's not the DCT at fault. There is a significant pause when rolling on the throttle gently, so I suspect it'll be something like HT leads, or software controlling injectors (maybe a timing sensor) rather than the box. If I had a clutch, I suspect extra revs and slipping the clutch slight would stop it happening. It's fine on the motorway....

On the upside the local dealer has now made contact and treated the issue seriously and is taking the bike in tomorrow.

• Offline Yasko   england

• Crosstourer Master  ‐    1361

Offline Yasko

• Crosstourer Master
    • Bike: Africa Twin DCT
    • City / Town: Canterbury
    Reply #3 on: Apr 25, 2017, 05.58 am
    Apr 25, 2017, 05.58 am
    Hopefully a re-programme of the software may cure it; if it has not been done since the first service (approx 600 miles) and 11k now covered.
    Bill

• Offline BRITINFRANCE   fr

• Crosstourer Master  ‐    540

Offline BRITINFRANCE

• Crosstourer Master
    • Bike: 2016 Crosstourer
    • City / Town: SAINT MAXIME
    Reply #4 on: Apr 25, 2017, 08.40 am
    Apr 25, 2017, 08.40 am
    Hi sire, yes i have had this problem, especially when she is cold, and its always as you decribe when trying to pull away gently, I have overcome this by using the rear brake as the cluch !!! gentle pressure as i add the revs, you can feel the DCT engage, then pull away as you release the rear brake, even when hot there is that little lapse ( milli secs) from applying the revs and the box engaing ( somtimes with a clunck! ) hope this helps you to enjoy your CT more  :028:
    BIF
    Lambretta125 (1950's) Honda SS125, BSA650 Road Rocket, Husquvana390 motocross, Honda CR480 motocross, Honda NC700X, Honda VFR1200X,

• Offline sire

• Topic Author

Offline sire

• Crosstourer Member
    • Topic Author
    Reply #5 on: Apr 25, 2017, 08.48 am
    Apr 25, 2017, 08.48 am
    Thanks BIF. I have been doing this, but for me this isn't really a long term solution. I want the bike to do what it's supposed to without me having to adjust to it. This is my third DCT (I had a NC700 and an NC750) and it's only this one that has the problem.

Bike is at the dealer's today. When i dropped it off it sounded like it wasn't the first time they'd experienced this problem with a DCT box. I suspect they'll check the connections and reflash the ECU.

Will keep you posted.

S

• Offline BRITINFRANCE   fr

• Crosstourer Master  ‐    540

Offline BRITINFRANCE

• Crosstourer Master
    • Bike: 2016 Crosstourer
    • City / Town: SAINT MAXIME
    Reply #6 on: Apr 25, 2017, 12.38 pm
    Apr 25, 2017, 12.38 pm
    thanks sire, if it is a fault then mine goes in aswell,  its 2014 and still under waranty :028:
    BIF
    Lambretta125 (1950's) Honda SS125, BSA650 Road Rocket, Husquvana390 motocross, Honda CR480 motocross, Honda NC700X, Honda VFR1200X,

• Offline sire

• Topic Author

Offline sire

• Crosstourer Member
    • Topic Author
    Reply #7 on: Apr 25, 2017, 04.44 pm
    Apr 25, 2017, 04.44 pm
    Just collected the bike. All seems well, so far....

Spoke to the technician (good bloke, I trust him) who said that the only error message was low oil pressure. He observed that this is no surprise given the stalling.

He couldn't find any loose wiring: he jiggled everything to try and get the bike to cut out.

He said sometimes (like home PCs) the software has a bit of a moment so you need to switch it off and on again. He's reset the ECU, and reset the DCT ECU (on the paperwork as the clutch ECU; and the drive clutch system). It feels much better at idle. Time will tell. I have another 350 miles of commuting this week so it will show up by the weekend if not cured.

BIF - might be worth you having the same done and see how you go. For me it was FoC as it's still under warranty.

arab-exile