Author Topic: servicing  (Read 4210 times)

• Offline pete fairbairn

• Crosstourer Pro  ‐    424
    • Topic Author

Offline pete fairbairn

• Crosstourer Pro
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: crosstourer dct
    • City / Town: york
    servicing
    on: Apr 19, 2017, 07.33 pm
    Apr 19, 2017, 07.33 pm
    Does anyone know if my bike being on a PCP deal do i have to have main dealer rip off servicing or can we do it in house at my garage, we service  cars still under under warrenty with genuine parts with no come backs, but is it the same with bikes ???
    mafakin

• Offline Martymouse

• Crosstourer Master  ‐    592

Offline Martymouse

• Crosstourer Master
    • Bike: VFR1200X DCT
    • City / Town: Holywell
    Re: servicing
    Reply #1 on: Apr 19, 2017, 08.50 pm
    Apr 19, 2017, 08.50 pm
    I imagine the same EU rules as for cars; you can't be forced to use the main dealer but it must be serviced by a VAT registered garage. I would also imagine there is an expectation of competence by whoever you use should there be an issue.
    Puch125, CD175, CB175, C90, CB100, CB900, VF750, K100, CBR1000, CBR1000, DR650SE, RF900R, Bayliner, RF900R, Super Blackbird, Piaggio X9 125, Burgman 650, Hayabusa, VFR1200F, VFR1200X, F800 GT,

• Offline Hartley   england

• Crosstourer God  ‐    3074

Offline Hartley

• Crosstourer God
    • Bike: Crosstourer
    • City / Town: Northampton
    Reply #2 on: Apr 19, 2017, 09.55 pm
    Apr 19, 2017, 09.55 pm
    The EU rules for cars (Block Exemption i believe it was called) may not apply to bikes. I recall reading something about it a bike mag sometime ago. the whole thing was a grey area.

• Offline pete fairbairn

• Crosstourer Pro  ‐    424
    • Topic Author

Offline pete fairbairn

• Crosstourer Pro
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: crosstourer dct
    • City / Town: york
    Reply #3 on: Apr 20, 2017, 06.25 am
    Apr 20, 2017, 06.25 am
    Thanks for your replies, I have my own Garage and work on most type of vehicle so doing it is not a problem. The resale value on the Crosstourer after 3yrs is so crap i dont think  a service history makes any difference, unlike cars and vans.I lost £7k after 2yrs on 2013 Crosstourer.Unlike my Kawasakis i ran for 20yrs  which cost between £2k £3k after 2yrs.
    mafakin

• Offline Yasko   england

• Crosstourer Master  ‐    1361

Offline Yasko

• Crosstourer Master
    • Bike: Africa Twin DCT
    • City / Town: Canterbury
    Reply #4 on: Apr 20, 2017, 06.53 am
    Apr 20, 2017, 06.53 am
    Providing the company financing the PCP get their money at the end or before the term of the agreement finishes  irrespective of any contract clauses re servicing etc then there is no problem Pete. As for the servicing in your case, irrespective of warranty issues, you are competent enough to do it so go ahead.
    Bill

• Offline Hartley   england

• Crosstourer God  ‐    3074

Offline Hartley

• Crosstourer God
    • Bike: Crosstourer
    • City / Town: Northampton
    Reply #5 on: Apr 20, 2017, 12.23 pm
    Apr 20, 2017, 12.23 pm
    Take your point Yasko, but could the company not say the lack of stamped history could effect minimum future value?

Offline Yasko

• Crosstourer Master
    Reply #6 on: Apr 20, 2017, 01.01 pm
    Apr 20, 2017, 01.01 pm
    Yes it could Paul, the GMFV  is dependent on three conditions that you must meet, which in hindsight I should have made clear,

You must not exceed your agreed mileage over the duration of the term
    The Motorcycle must not require any repairs beyond normal wear and tear
    You must have the motorcycle serviced by the official dealer network at the stipulated times/mileage.
    Notwithstanding this you should always check your own contract and if unsure contact the relevant company with special regard to servicing requirements. Always keep a full record of the reply.

Therefore if you do not have a full Manufacturers service history with an official dealership the finance company can, dependant on the contract, refuse to honour the GMFV or charge you a hefty penalty fee. Normally it should be a penalty fee. This is irrelevant though if your going to pay the final amount and keep the motorcycle.

In Pete's case and being competent to do his own servicing he would save a lot of money subject of course to the cost of any faulty parts, non consumable, which would have been replaced under the warranty period. Hope this clarifies my earlier post.

Bill

Offline Yasko

• Crosstourer Master
    Reply #7 on: Apr 20, 2017, 02.36 pm
    Apr 20, 2017, 02.36 pm
    After checking for any updated amendments from the EU with regard to the;

EU DISTRIBUTION AND SERVICING OF MOTOR VEHICLES IN THE EUROPEAN UNION
    COMMISSION REGULATION (EC) NO 1400/2002 of 31 July 2002.

Their definition of a motor vehicle quoted from the aforementioned regulation is as follows;

‘Motor vehicle’ means a self propelled vehicle intended for use on public roads and having three or more road wheels.

However the term 'motor vehicle' is defined in section 185(1) of the Road Traffic Act 1988 and section 136(1) of the Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984 as;

"a mechanically propelled vehicle, intended or adapted for use on roads".

I cannot find any later EU definition within the regulation with regard to motor vehicle.

Therefore it appears that a Motorcycle is not included under the EU regulations covering, amongst other rules, that with regard to servicing. Yet in UK law a motor vehicle includes a motorcycle.  :087:

This appears to be a very nice legal leverage to be used by finance companies with regard to GMFV of motorcyles and the servicing of the motorcycle by the Official dealer network.

Bill