• Topic Author

Offline LittleBug

• Crosstourer Junior
    • Topic Author
    SatNav
    on: Apr 04, 2017, 11.39 am
    Apr 04, 2017, 11.39 am
    Hi All

Any thoughts about SatNav for the bike at all? Up until now I have used a map and notes on a tank bag but I thought I would look at a SatNav for the Highlander. Having never used one on a bike are thay any good? Whats the audio like? If they are which make / model do you rate? Ive got a shoei lid, no blue tooth.

Any thoughts appreciated.

• Offline Hartley   england

• Crosstourer God  ‐    3074

Offline Hartley

• Crosstourer God
    • Bike: Crosstourer
    • City / Town: Northampton
    Re: SatNav
    Reply #1 on: Apr 04, 2017, 12.12 pm
    Apr 04, 2017, 12.12 pm
    I use a Garmin Zumo 390 and am very happy with it. I like the option of being able to plan a route on the PC then move it across to the GPS.

Last year put a 3500 mile 2 week trip on it no problem. Can take you on a few "interesting" roads but if it broke tomorrow id buy another.

Ive also been using a cheap ebay Bluetooth intercom which has been brilliant. Had it about 4 yrs no probs. I have just upgraded but only because ive started listening to music and would like better sound quality. Though the cheap one is perfectly good for GPS instructions

Has been fitted to Shoei Qwest and now a GT Air.

• Offline Fatsam47

• Crosstourer Pro  ‐    322

Offline Fatsam47

• Crosstourer Pro
    Reply #2 on: Apr 04, 2017, 12.56 pm
    Apr 04, 2017, 12.56 pm
    I'm in the TomTom camp and currently use a 400 model. I bought a premium kit which has lockable mounts and a car kit which I find very useful. It comes with Tyre software which you can use for preplanning routes, though there is also a website that allows you to do the same and export to TomTom or Garmin satnavs. The windy route feature is good if you want it to take you off on a new circular ride.

It works fine with instructions to a headset, though I don't bother with this as I listen to music and don't want it interrupted by directions all the time. Audio quality is more dependent on the headset than the satnav. Like Hartley, I used a cheaper one (it came with a previous TomTom I had) and was fine for instructions, just didn't bother, occasionally glancing at satnav instead. I upgraded as I wanted to be able to speak to Wife via intercom and listen to music. I use an Interphone F3MC headset - it's not the latest and greatest, hence got it at a decent price.

I'd try Halfords and see if you can have a play and see which interface you like more.

• Offline LittleBug

• Crosstourer Junior  ‐    5
    • Topic Author

Offline LittleBug

• Crosstourer Junior
    • Topic Author
    Reply #3 on: Apr 04, 2017, 01.13 pm
    Apr 04, 2017, 01.13 pm
    Thanks both,

I'll call in at Halfords and have a play with the kit there and see whats suitable. 90% of the journey its not needed, but its the last few miles looking for the hotel / campsite that makes all the differrence!

Cheers

• Offline pistnbroke   england

• Crosstourer Master  ‐    1572

Offline pistnbroke

• Crosstourer Master
    • Bike: crosstourer
    • City / Town: Irby
    Reply #4 on: Apr 04, 2017, 05.32 pm
    Apr 04, 2017, 05.32 pm
    Ive got both Garmin nuvi and Tom Tom 390 car sat navs, can they be used on the bike if i get a waterproof carrier or will the shaking mess the sat navs up ???
    The Garmin is narrower and id prefer to take that one, though it is about6 years old.
     :028:  :031:
    keep it shiny side up !!!

• Offline Hartley   england

• Crosstourer God  ‐    3074

Offline Hartley

• Crosstourer God
    • Bike: Crosstourer
    • City / Town: Northampton
    Reply #5 on: Apr 04, 2017, 06.47 pm
    Apr 04, 2017, 06.47 pm
    Funnily enough the headset I've just upgraded too is the interphone F3MC.
    Installed it in lid today. Not used it yet.

• Offline flame4fun

• Crosstourer Junior  ‐    9

Offline flame4fun

• Crosstourer Junior
    • Bike: red one :)
    • City / Town: Sofia
    Reply #6 on: Apr 04, 2017, 07.15 pm
    Apr 04, 2017, 07.15 pm
    I've been using Garmin Zumo 590 now for a year or so and can just recommend it!!!
    I used before my smartphone in a waterproof case and I can not compare it with the Garmin in terms of usability in gloves, sun glares, rain and readability on direct sun etc. It's completely different level.
    It has many features designed directly for bikers.
    There is an option to plan a round trip just by simple choosing the location you want to go through or by defining the total distance and if you choose the twisty roads calculation it really makes nice routes.
    Garmin also sell these air valves, which you can pair with the sat nav and then they monitor air pressure in the tyres and can warn you when it drops below the set value.
    Also if you like to take videos, Garmin Virb action camera mounted on your bike can be controlled wirelesly via the sat nav.
    There is also application for listening to music, which you put into the sat nav.
    Good one is also app for Android smartphone, which you pair with the sat nav and then you can enter/lookup destinations conveniently in the phone and send them via bluetooth to the sat nav. If you have data in your phone, the sat nav also uses them for traffic and weather information. Also when paired and connected, you can accept/decline calls or call anybody directly in the sat nav.

On the low side, it is expensive and of course a bit slower compared to the smartphone in terms of route computation, but overall I find it as really good and useful product.

And no, I do not sell Garmin products :D I'm just really happy with the sat nav  :046:
    Last Edit: Apr 04, 2017, 07.21 pm by flame4fun

• Offline harmony

• Crosstourer Pro  ‐    231

Offline harmony

• Crosstourer Pro
    Reply #7 on: Apr 04, 2017, 07.24 pm
    Apr 04, 2017, 07.24 pm
    I bought a second hand garmin 660 zumo and touratech locking mountand pair it with my Interphone F5MC.  It's brilliant.  Great for music too.
    deadmeercats