Author Topic: First adventure bike search underway  (Read 7659 times)

• Offline Orcster

• Crosstourer Junior  ‐    8
    • Topic Author

Offline Orcster

• Crosstourer Junior
    • Topic Author
    First adventure bike search underway
    on: Mar 22, 2017, 08.37 pm
    Mar 22, 2017, 08.37 pm
    I've been riding for 3 years now and looking to add an adventure bike to the stable (currently ride a Triumph Speedmaster).

I've gone around the shops and sat on several different bikes and sort of reduced down the list of options to the Crosstourer, Triumph Explorer and potentially BMW 1200GS.

So whilst I'm looking around the forum I wonder if you could let me know why you chose the Crosstourer over any of the competition and any experiences if you've owned one of the others at some point or even switched away from the Crosstourer.

Thanks in advance

• Offline Maverick

• Crosstourer Master  ‐    592

Offline Maverick

• Crosstourer Master
    • City / Town: East Sussex
    Re: First adventure bike search underway
    Reply #1 on: Mar 22, 2017, 09.33 pm
    Mar 22, 2017, 09.33 pm
    I don't consider the Crosstourer an adventure bike.

Just how adventurous do you plan to be? Then select a bike for your needs.

It is looks or function? 

Can't best the feel of the torque though.

• Offline Orcster

• Crosstourer Junior  ‐    8
    • Topic Author

Offline Orcster

• Crosstourer Junior
    • Topic Author
    Reply #2 on: Mar 22, 2017, 09.37 pm
    Mar 22, 2017, 09.37 pm
    *Originally Posted by Maverick [+]
    I don't consider the Crosstourer an adventure bike.

Just how adventurous Di you plan to be? Then select s bike for your needs.

It is looks or function? 

Can't best the feel of the torque though.
    Primary use will be for two up touring however I want the ability to go into a fire road and similar. Not major off roading but don't want to run away at the site of some gravel and mud. Seen a few videos on YouTube showing people doing far more than I ever anticipate doing so I know it's capable. The other bikes are also similarly capable from what I have seen, so just interested to see why people made the decisions they did. Interesting thing is that going down this list of posts that I've already seen half a dozen people hanging up their CT for another bike! But nobody saying it because it's a bad bike [emoji106]

• Offline Maverick

• Crosstourer Master  ‐    592

Offline Maverick

• Crosstourer Master
    • City / Town: East Sussex
    Reply #3 on: Mar 22, 2017, 09.48 pm
    Mar 22, 2017, 09.48 pm
    CT is big but you heavy and the suspension us lethal
    Great for smooth touring and two up.

Can't turn off abs normally either.

It's a heavy wallowy tourer with great torque.

• Offline Fatsam47

• Crosstourer Pro  ‐    322

Offline Fatsam47

• Crosstourer Pro
    Reply #4 on: Mar 22, 2017, 10.13 pm
    Mar 22, 2017, 10.13 pm
    I've owned both R1100 and 1200gs's in past, amongst other BMW's. The 1200gs is a great bike, lighter than the Crosstourer and with the potential for more toys, which cost. They handle well, although there is a slightly disconnected feeling due to the telelever front end. The big downside for me is the reliability and poor build quality. So much so, that I wouldn't have a bmw without warranty.

The Crosstourer is heavy when pushing it about but it's not noticeable on the move. I wouldn't want to have to pick one up. Personally, I haven't found it wallowy or had major issues with the suspension, once it's adjusted. In fact, I find the handling quite confidence inspiring. The upside to the CT is the engine, which I love, and Honda build quality and reliability. Oh, and of course the DCT, which is unique to Honda and one of the main attractions for me. 

Reliability wise, you just don't read about the issues that you do with GS's or indeed Triumph. I've got no experience of the Triumph, but up close they look like a dogs breakfast to me and a poor GS clone. But each to their own.  :002:

While there are people who have given up the CT there are also quite a few who've gone for a second one. My suggestions is get some test rides, especially of the DCT. Ultimately, whichever one you choose, you won't end up with a bad bike.

• Offline Dave56   gb

• Crosstourer Master  ‐    1794

Offline Dave56

• Crosstourer Master
    • Bike: CRF1100 DCT
    • City / Town: Grantham
    Reply #5 on: Mar 22, 2017, 10.39 pm
    Mar 22, 2017, 10.39 pm
    With regards to "adventure" bikes I have owned in the past 1150 & 1200 GS's and the Yamaha S10 before finding my perfect mount in the Crosstourer.
    Loved the 1150GS, handling was a revalation but it was a little "agricultural" as to the 1200GS which I bought brand new but after an initial honeymoon period it turned out to be a pile of unreliable sh#te, 3 ecu units, 2 batteries, set of rear wheel bearings and a shot rear shock after only 17k, non of which was off road and I never carried a passenger.
    It was time for it to go which was replaced by the Yamaha S10 which I really liked even though it was not as well equipped as the CT.
    The factory pannier system proved poor, especially with regards to the locking mechanism which after 2 bent key's necessitated having a selection of un-programmed keys cut so as saving the expensive programmed keys from further damage.
    The S10 also proved uncomfortable for the wife, especially the factory top box. This prompted us to try the Crosstourer which proved to be a complete eye opener.
    Absolutely stunned by the engine, the comfort and the handling an order was placed immediately upon our return from the test ride.
    Hope this is of some help.
    "The more the miles, the bigger the smiles"

• Offline slomogadgie   scotland

• Non Active
    • Crosstourer Master  ‐    1233

Offline slomogadgie

• Non Active
    • Crosstourer Master
    • Bike: Olde School CT
    • City / Town: Peternapper
    Reply #6 on: Mar 23, 2017, 06.03 am
    Mar 23, 2017, 06.03 am
    Hello,

A lot of good truthful comments already. For me...If you want to run with the crowd, get the GS. For me it's the Ford Mondeo of motorcycles.
    The TEx. I really wanted to have the TEx but the girlfriend wanted off it within getting 2 miles from the house.
    I bought the CT because it seemed to be the one I kept coming back to for another test ride. The engine is great in my opinion, the suspension not so great. Can get tweaked to give a 'smoothish' ride, but by then - for me anyway - it has too wallow etc.
    For me the CT would be okay for doing decent long distance trips on decent roads. Once however would show up the screen arrangement and lack of cruise control.
    Only you can decide in the end and I'm sure if you are on the other makers forums asking the same question you will hear the same thing.
    For now I am keeping the CT simply because it bought and paid for and I can't be bothered facing another few years of 'tick' in this current climate.
    Whatever you choose, enjoy and be careful:) :305:
    What do you mean it's raining....get ootside and ride the thing.

• Offline Hartley   england

• Crosstourer God  ‐    3074

Offline Hartley

• Crosstourer God
    • Bike: Crosstourer
    • City / Town: Northampton
    Reply #7 on: Mar 23, 2017, 06.21 am
    Mar 23, 2017, 06.21 am
    I rode most of the competition when i was looking to buy my last bike. The CT wasnt even in the running until my wife said we should try one.
    Ended up a toss up between the Tex and the CT. What swung it back then was the reliabilty issues that were coming out about the Triumph. I knew that having my bike stuck in the dealer all the time would pi55 me off in no time.

My wife finds the CT the most comfortable of all of these styles of bike, we did several tours on my last CT and i think this is where the Honda really shines. I was actually surprised at just how good it was when i did my first week away on it. Id just come off an FJR.  As has been said the engine is also very strong point.

Towards the end of last year i was looking to change and did the rounds again. I have to be honest, if it had been purely my decision id have bought a GS but my wife hated it.
    The CT does fall short in a couple of areas, no doubt, cruise and toys for example but I ended up buying another CT. DCT this time to have something a bit different. I can definatly say i made the right decision, the DCT adds something none of the competition have.
     Youll hear most owners rave on about it and now i understand why. Whatever you choose, try to get a decent long test ride on a DCT.

Last Edit: Mar 23, 2017, 06.24 am by Hartley