Author Topic: Crosstourer - Lifting Handle? Anyone?  (Read 7994 times)

• Offline David_S_Walker   gb

• Crosstourer Pro  ‐    156
    • Topic Author

Offline David_S_Walker

• Crosstourer Pro
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: VFR1200X T-DCT
    • City / Town: Roch
    Crosstourer - Lifting Handle? Anyone?
    on: Mar 16, 2017, 08.57 am
    Mar 16, 2017, 08.57 am
    Hello,

Had the DCT for a few months now but I do still struggle to get it up onto the centre stand and I was wondering if anyone had fitted successfully any form of lifting handle to the left hand side to help in this operation?

I used to have one on my BMW K1100LT and also on an ST1100 I once owned so I was wondering if anyone has come up with any solutions? Apart from leaving on its side stand :002:

Best regards,

David :028:
    The Hokey Cokey - What if that is what lifes all about?

• Offline slomogadgie   scotland

• Non Active
    • Crosstourer Master  ‐    1233

Offline slomogadgie

• Non Active
    • Crosstourer Master
    • Bike: Olde School CT
    • City / Town: Peternapper
    Re: Crosstourer - Lifting Handle? Anyone?
    Reply #1 on: Mar 16, 2017, 12.29 pm
    Mar 16, 2017, 12.29 pm
    I just use the back foot rest thing
    What do you mean it's raining....get ootside and ride the thing.

• Offline Yasko   england

• Crosstourer Master  ‐    1361

Offline Yasko

• Crosstourer Master
    • Bike: Africa Twin DCT
    • City / Town: Canterbury
    Reply #2 on: Mar 16, 2017, 12.44 pm
    Mar 16, 2017, 12.44 pm
    I just use the force of the right leg, hands just hold the bike for balance. Practice and you should be able to do it.
    Bill

• Offline DEMBONES

• Crosstourer Master  ‐    625

Offline DEMBONES

• Crosstourer Master
    • Bike: 2016 VFR1200XD
    • City / Town: PacNW
    Reply #3 on: Mar 16, 2017, 01.31 pm
    Mar 16, 2017, 01.31 pm
    Agree with Yasko...it's more in the leg/foot than it is in the hand/arm.  You really have to step down with some gusto.  It's much harder than on most bikes I've owned.

• Offline ChrisS

• Crosstourer Member  ‐    33

Offline ChrisS

• Crosstourer Member
    • Bike: Multistrada 950
    Reply #4 on: Mar 16, 2017, 01.37 pm
    Mar 16, 2017, 01.37 pm
    +1 for using weight through right leg.

It's a matter of technique and balance (and the fact I weigh about 106kgs). The first few times I tried to get the bike on the stand I struggled and nearly fell forwards.

For me I found the best way is to put my left hand on the left handlebar grip for balance, take hold of the pannier mounting bracket (I find the passenger grab handles a bit too high) and lift the bike by putting all my weight down through the centre stand lever with my right foot. I don't consciously pull back on the handlebar nor up with my right hand although I do think I lean to my right (backwards along the bike) whilst pressing down with my right foot so I might do some light pulling without thinking.

• Offline David_S_Walker   gb

• Crosstourer Pro  ‐    156
    • Topic Author

Offline David_S_Walker

• Crosstourer Pro
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: VFR1200X T-DCT
    • City / Town: Roch
    Reply #5 on: Mar 16, 2017, 01.39 pm
    Mar 16, 2017, 01.39 pm
    Both,

I hear what you are saying but within a week of taking delivery when I was putting it on the centre stand my boot slipped off and it fell away from me and actually did a fair bit of damage so understandably I am cautious which is why I am looking for a handle to give me that bit more confidence.

I recall my BMW K1100LT although a similar lump with regard to weight went up on the stand quite easily in comparison.

Also I am just not as strong as I used to be. A couple of years ago I was in real trouble with my diabetes type 2 with massive doses of insulin several times a day and was on the point of giving up biking for good. I took a drastic step and had a Gastric Bypass performed and never looked back. My Diabetes actually went into remission and over the next 10 months I lost around 8 stone in weight. I am now able to do a lot of things that I was actually close to giving up on. However without that weight I simply do not have the strength that I once did so perhaps this is one of the reasons I struggle with the centre stand.

If any of you are also struggling with diabetes type 2 and a lot of us do in middle age then if you Google "davidsgastricbypass" (All one word) you can read all about my experiences. I wish I had done it earlier - The improvement in my power to weight ratio is astounding! :305:

Anyhow will continue to look out for something so any ideas then please post otherwise I shall continue to practice

Best regards,

David :028:
    The Hokey Cokey - What if that is what lifes all about?

• Offline GarySN

• Crosstourer Pro  ‐    173

Offline GarySN

• Crosstourer Pro
    • Bike: VFR1200X
    Reply #6 on: Mar 16, 2017, 02.36 pm
    Mar 16, 2017, 02.36 pm
    *Originally Posted by ChrisS [+]
    +1 for using weight through right leg.

It's a matter of technique and balance (and the fact I weigh about 106kgs). The first few times I tried to get the bike on the stand I struggled and nearly fell forwards.

For me I found the best way is to put my left hand on the left handlebar grip for balance, take hold of the pannier mounting bracket (I find the passenger grab handles a bit too high) and lift the bike by putting all my weight down through the centre stand lever with my right foot. I don't consciously pull back on the handlebar nor up with my right hand although I do think I lean to my right (backwards along the bike) whilst pressing down with my right foot so I might do some light pulling without thinking.
    Interesting.  I weigh a mere 70 kgs, and there is no way I've been able to get the bike on the centre stand using force-through-the leg alone.  I use your technique, but consciously lift the pannier bracket, which does the job nicely.

• Offline Superjeap

• Crosstourer Pro  ‐    375

Offline Superjeap

• Crosstourer Pro
    • Bike: VFR1200XD
    Reply #7 on: Mar 16, 2017, 02.58 pm
    Mar 16, 2017, 02.58 pm
    I always try to put a little piece of scrap-wood (approx 1 cm high) under the rear wheel.
    Even have one under my seat just in case, or punt under my side stand when I have to park in a sandy spot.
    Try it once and you will notice how easy you can master the center stand.

arab-exile