Author Topic: Lockable, Weather-proof Tail-Bag "Trunk".... a work in progress...  (Read 3087 times)

• Offline Tazmool

• Crosstourer Pro  ‐    127
    • Topic Author

Offline Tazmool

• Crosstourer Pro
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: VFR1200X
    Lockable, Weather-proof Tail-Bag "Trunk".... a work in progress...
    on: Mar 02, 2017, 05.09 am
    Mar 02, 2017, 05.09 am
    Ok,
    So on a previous post I was asking for luggage ideas for the CT, and there were many great ideas, photos, and I appreciated them all.

The more I thought about it, the more I liked this little trunk I had in the past on my ST1300, and it was a Corbin Smuggler.
    Now corbin does not make one for the CT, and even if they did, it would be an expensive one because the whole seat would have to be replaced (as the Smuggler trunk usually replaces the passenger seat, on split seat type bikes, if the bike has a one piece seat the seat would need to go)

So the next logical step would be to try and make something like the smuggler for the CT.
    The idea started with finding and using an inexpensive used corbin smuggler made for another bike, and finding a way to attach it to the standard CT seat.

I found an old, smuggler from a ninja 650r, the bike had been crashed, but the trunk escaped with some scrapes and scratches, and was priced accordingly, most importantly it was structurally sound and intact.

The trunk looked like the silver pod at the end of the photo, just roughed up, and missing keys...

Fast forward a few weeks, I replaced the inexpensive lock (and now have keys) the trunk is painted and ready for trial fitting onto the bike (hopefully to try out tomorrow)

The lighting in the photos makes the trunk look more "chunky" textured than it actually is, its actually fairly close to the stock seat texture and matches well (I used truck bed liner to paint the trunk, I wanted a tough rugged look, with actual ruggedness to stand up to the elements, the trunk itself is made of fibreglass and is quite robust)

The trunk is attached to the OEM Honda Low seat, the passenger portion had its cover temporarily removed and the foam was shaved down to make room for the underside of the smuggler trunk, then the cover was put back on, and looks stock.

The trunk is weather proof (I made sure not to mess with the weather seal in anyway) and its bolted down to the seat, to remove it one would have to remove the seat.  The seat is dedicated to the trunk, and if I find I want to double ride, or use the passenger seat, I still have the original OEM stock height seat to do so.

I still have to do the final fitting onto the bike, and possibly make adjustments to the angle of the trunk, a small portion of the tail rack will be under the trunk and I want to make sure they clear, and that there will be no hard contact between the trunk and the aluminium tail rack (I have not yet figured out how to solve this, maybe some sort of foam to protect both)

What do you guys/gals think?

Tazmool
    Last Edit: Mar 02, 2017, 05.26 am by Tazmool

• Offline slomogadgie   scotland

• Non Active
    • Crosstourer Master  ‐    1233

Offline slomogadgie

• Non Active
    • Crosstourer Master
    • Bike: Olde School CT
    • City / Town: Peternapper
    Re: Lockable, Weather-proof Tail-Bag "Trunk".... a work in progress...
    Reply #1 on: Mar 02, 2017, 06.32 am
    Mar 02, 2017, 06.32 am
    not bad actually
    :)
    What do you mean it's raining....get ootside and ride the thing.

• Offline MotoGpNick

• Crosstourer Master  ‐    764

Offline MotoGpNick

• Crosstourer Master
    • Bike: VFR1200XSE White
    Reply #2 on: Mar 02, 2017, 08.29 am
    Mar 02, 2017, 08.29 am
    I have repeatedly contacted Corbin but they are seemingly uninterested in the CT - pity as I can see the above being quite popular  :305:
    Yam YDS7,Suzuki T350 Rebel,Kawasaki 350 S2, Suzuki GT550, Kawasaki H1B 500, Kawasaki H2 750, Kawasaki Z1 900, Suzuki RE5 (stolen) Matchless 350 Trials, Kawasaki GTR 1000, ZZR1100C3, ZZR1100D2, Honda 900 Bandit, Suzuki SV1000K5 SZ, Honda Blackbird x 2, Honda Varadero 1000 - Honda CT

• Offline Yasko   england

• Crosstourer Master  ‐    1361

Offline Yasko

• Crosstourer Master
    • Bike: Africa Twin DCT
    • City / Town: Canterbury
    Reply #3 on: Mar 02, 2017, 09.17 am
    Mar 02, 2017, 09.17 am
    Looks good, well done.
    Bill

• Offline whitegloss

• Crosstourer Pro  ‐    313

Offline whitegloss

• Crosstourer Pro
    • City / Town: tyne and wear
    Reply #4 on: Mar 02, 2017, 09.46 am
    Mar 02, 2017, 09.46 am
    Clever, well done  :002:

• Offline MotoGpNick

• Crosstourer Master  ‐    764

Offline MotoGpNick

• Crosstourer Master
    • Bike: VFR1200XSE White
    Reply #5 on: Mar 02, 2017, 11.17 am
    Mar 02, 2017, 11.17 am
    Just rechecked the Corbin site and still nothing for the CT although they have done the new Africa Twin!!  :230:
    Yam YDS7,Suzuki T350 Rebel,Kawasaki 350 S2, Suzuki GT550, Kawasaki H1B 500, Kawasaki H2 750, Kawasaki Z1 900, Suzuki RE5 (stolen) Matchless 350 Trials, Kawasaki GTR 1000, ZZR1100C3, ZZR1100D2, Honda 900 Bandit, Suzuki SV1000K5 SZ, Honda Blackbird x 2, Honda Varadero 1000 - Honda CT

• Offline pistnbroke   england

• Crosstourer Master  ‐    1572

Offline pistnbroke

• Crosstourer Master
    • Bike: crosstourer
    • City / Town: Irby
    Reply #6 on: Mar 02, 2017, 11.30 am
    Mar 02, 2017, 11.30 am
    Well done Tazmool, that look really nicely done, good finish.  :028: :047:
    keep it shiny side up !!!

• Offline Catcher

• Crosstourer Junior  ‐    12

Offline Catcher

• Crosstourer Junior
    • Bike: VFR1200X- GoWing
    • City / Town: Bracebridge
    Reply #7 on: Mar 02, 2017, 11.41 am
    Mar 02, 2017, 11.41 am
     :062: Looks really practical! But don't forget a small drain hole, so as the ice slowly melts while keeping your beer cold, the water will get gone. Details count! A puddle of water could lead to a soggy sandwich...
    Lost time is never found again!

arab-exile