Author Topic: Why we ride?  (Read 4519 times)

• Offline Hartley   england

• Crosstourer God  ‐    3074
    • Topic Author

Offline Hartley

• Crosstourer God
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: Crosstourer
    • City / Town: Northampton
    Why we ride?
    on: Feb 27, 2017, 12.26 pm
    Feb 27, 2017, 12.26 pm
    I got out on the bike for a few hours over the weekend, first ride since about October I think.

Cant tell you how good it was to be on two wheels again. Got me thinking about what I get from riding a bike. For me one of the biggest things is it clears my head. If I've a lot going on, a day on the bike always help me get my head together. I don't know what exactly it is, maybe its the fact that I end up places that I like to go, (Wales normally) or maybe its the fact that whilst riding you don't really think about all the normal day to day stuff.
    As well as having met so many great friends and been to some amazing places, the biggest thing a bike does for me is keep me sane, oddly a lot of non riders think we're mad to ride a bike in the first place.

• Offline ukstu

• Crosstourer Pro  ‐    488

Offline ukstu

• Crosstourer Pro
    • City / Town: Warrington
    Re: Why we ride?
    Reply #1 on: Feb 27, 2017, 01.27 pm
    Feb 27, 2017, 01.27 pm
    I agree! My first time out since November this weekend. Even in the poor weather I thoroughly enjoyed every minute. Roll on some nice weather!

How are you for finding the new bike Paul? Enjoying the DCT?

Stu

• Offline pistnbroke   england

• Crosstourer Master  ‐    1572

Offline pistnbroke

• Crosstourer Master
    • Bike: crosstourer
    • City / Town: Irby
    Reply #2 on: Feb 27, 2017, 01.38 pm
    Feb 27, 2017, 01.38 pm
     :0461: with the both of you, I like to put it to people who don't ride that its a state of mind you get into, you've got to be totally concentrating on the road and all the other pillocks sharing it with you unfortunately, I love riding because as you say its a great excuse to just empty your head of rubbish and important stuff and RIDE it like you stole it.
    Although we went through some atrocious weather yesterday I can honestly say it was one of the most satisfying rides i've ever had, pitting yourself against mother nature in very very strong winds just past Capel Curig, and absolutely lashing down rain was most enjoyable, I was just so gald I put my wet ridng gear on.
    great company to with Bully and my long suffering biking buddy.
    Keep the smiles with what ever you find yourself riding.
     :028:
    keep it shiny side up !!!

• Offline Fatsam47

• Crosstourer Pro  ‐    322

Offline Fatsam47

• Crosstourer Pro
    Reply #3 on: Feb 27, 2017, 03.29 pm
    Feb 27, 2017, 03.29 pm
    Hmmm - 2 sides to it for me. On a practical level I've never taken a car driving test so from 17 bikes have been my only means of transport. Until about 5 years ago I used bike for commuting year round, only resorting to trains when there was snow on the roads.
    Only recently has it purely been about fun as I commute by push bike now. But, I still love the convenience of bikes, filtering, not having to queue and always trying to "make progress". Plus it's fun burning off  cars at the lights  :305:

Mentally, I agree it's a great way to escape. I can almost feel the weight falling off my shoulders when I ride off somewhere on my bike. I also feel connected to the world. You experience the weather, you get wet, hot (I wish) and cold. You smell the world around you.

I also love the fraternity, the fact you can meet up with like-minded people and talk a load of old sh**te which would bore any normal person silly. Meet up with strangers and go off for a ride together. It's great  :028:

But most of all I just love bikes. My one passion, wouldn't change it if I could.  :002:

• Offline Yasko   england

• Crosstourer Master  ‐    1361

Offline Yasko

• Crosstourer Master
    • Bike: Africa Twin DCT
    • City / Town: Canterbury
    Reply #4 on: Feb 27, 2017, 03.57 pm
    Feb 27, 2017, 03.57 pm
    Freedom, fresh air, power of a bike, a V4 engine, practice of skill levels, stress buster, traffic buster adrenaline producer, biking fraternity and friends. Plus everything else that has been said - you cannot beat it.
    Bill

• Offline Martymouse

• Crosstourer Master  ‐    592

Offline Martymouse

• Crosstourer Master
    • Bike: VFR1200X DCT
    • City / Town: Holywell
    Reply #5 on: Feb 27, 2017, 04.00 pm
    Feb 27, 2017, 04.00 pm
    Because I can ...
    Puch125, CD175, CB175, C90, CB100, CB900, VF750, K100, CBR1000, CBR1000, DR650SE, RF900R, Bayliner, RF900R, Super Blackbird, Piaggio X9 125, Burgman 650, Hayabusa, VFR1200F, VFR1200X, F800 GT,

• Offline Southern Man

• Crosstourer Pro  ‐    140

Offline Southern Man

• Crosstourer Pro
    Reply #6 on: Feb 28, 2017, 10.12 pm
    Feb 28, 2017, 10.12 pm
    Agree with all of you boys...

I spend so much time in a car during the week and my bike just releases me from all of that and gives me the freedom to forget everything and just concentrate on enjoying the ride!

Great therapy!!

• Offline Hartley   england

• Crosstourer God  ‐    3074
    • Topic Author

Offline Hartley

• Crosstourer God
    • Topic Author
    • City / Town: Northampton
    Reply #7 on: Feb 28, 2017, 10.33 pm
    Feb 28, 2017, 10.33 pm
    How are you for finding the new bike Paul? Enjoying the DCT?
    Can't believe how easy it is to ride Stu, haven't really played with sport or manual to much but really enjoyed just cruising about on a twist and go.

I think I can see why DCT owners love them so much.
    Last Edit: Feb 28, 2017, 10.36 pm by Hartley