Author Topic: First 500km on my CT! My impressions so far...  (Read 3604 times)

• Offline Tazmool

• Crosstourer Pro  ‐    127
    • Topic Author

Offline Tazmool

• Crosstourer Pro
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: VFR1200X
    First 500km on my CT! My impressions so far...
    on: Feb 26, 2017, 10.03 am
    Feb 26, 2017, 10.03 am
    Greetings Everyone,

Last week we had a very strange warm-up weather wise (15-17C!) and I took full advantage and had two good rides on the new to me VFR1200XD  :018:
    My impressions so far:

The Engine,
    Surprisingly its very much unlike the ST1300 V-4 I used to own, which is not a bad thing, but I thought the engines would be somewhat similar.... nope.  The VFR engine reminds me of a sporty V-Twin engine, under acceleration it vibrates and growls like an angry bee, every time you roll on you get  GRRRRRRRR!!!!!   but then when cruising it settles down and is buttery smooth.  Low to mid-range power is great, and it seems to rev-out very well.

On-Off Throttle, its not bad, not as smooth as a carb bike, but not bad for Fi.  Its about on par with my ex-ST1300 I used to have, the B-King I had was much smoother on-off throttle.  My throttle does have some play in it and will be adjusted really soon.

Transmission,
    After the few rides, I simply CANNOT BELIEVE that not every motorcycle model has a DCT as an option..... The tranny is simply amazing.  The shifts are smooth and quick, most times you can't even tell the bike has shifted up or down (its most noticeable when down shifting in the last few gears when slowing down) I truly believe that if more of these dct equipped bikes were available for demo rides, there would be a great deal many more DCT bikes out there.  I took a risk in buying this bike with out riding it (winter, snow, ice) and I can honestly say this is the best bike tranny I have ever experienced in my 22 years riding, and 13 bikes owned.....  I'm sold on the DCT.

Engine + Tranny combo,
    The vfr torquey engine combined with the DCT tranny is a great combo.  The bike is very quick off the line, has great roll-on power (and I have not even hammered it yet, as the bike is not broken in yet) so far, the engine/tranny are the jewel of the bike... I love em!

Suspension/Handling,
    I reset my suspension back to stock settings (as according to the owner's manual) and have found that the bike handles well and suspension works well.
    I was a tad worried reading some posts on here, people complaining about the stock suspension being unsafe or crap, and I honestly can't say why anyone would complain about this bike.  Having ridden the Multistrada 1200, and the KTM SuperAdventure, the Honda Suspension is not as good as those, but those are top-shelf semi-active suspensions which are amazing, but for the cost savings, the VFR rides and handles very well on its conventional design.  I'll report more as I ride the bike more (once the nice weather comes back) For now, I have zero plans to mod the shock or forks...

Wind protection,
    Again pretty good, some buffeting on the helmet with the screen all the way down, but nice and quiet with the screen up. 
    Wind mainly on the shoulders, and lower legs.  I do have the honda "wind deflectors" installed as well, not sure if they really make any difference, but they're there.

Overall impression compared to bikes I've considered,
    I've ridden the Super Tenere ES, FJ09, V-Strom 1000, Multistrada 1200S & Granturismo, the KTM SuperAdventure during my hunt for my ADV bike.
    All of those bikes are excellent machines, and you could not go wrong with any of them, and I'm glad I took a chance on my VFR (the only bike I actually did not test ride out of the bunch) The ergonomics of the VFR feel closest to the SuperTenere (which was excellent) as is the handling and wind protection, and the VFR engine is spunky like the FJ09 but with considerably more power.  The engine character of the VFR is closer to the V-Strom than any 3 or 4 cylinder I've ridden.  The Ducati and KTM both are in a league above, but their complexity and cost are prohibitive (both would cost literally 2x what the VFR cost me, I found a great deal on my VFR and would need to add, easily $13,000 to buy either the Duc or KTM) 

I'm glad that I bought the VFR-X and she's a Keeper!

Tazmool

• Offline Buckr

• Crosstourer Pro  ‐    291

Offline Buckr

• Crosstourer Pro
    • Bike: VFR1200X-DCT
    • City / Town: Walkington
    Re: First 500km on my CT! My impressions so far...
    Reply #1 on: Feb 26, 2017, 10.50 am
    Feb 26, 2017, 10.50 am
    Excellent write up Tazmool.
    Sums up what I think as well.
    Only criticism I have is it lacks something at the top end but I don't use that often.
     :028:
    If it ain't fun don't do it !

• Offline dens

• Crosstourer Member  ‐    66

Offline dens

• Crosstourer Member
    • Bike: CT & BMW RACER
    • City / Town: Newtownards
    Reply #2 on: Feb 26, 2017, 02.04 pm
    Feb 26, 2017, 02.04 pm
     :0461:
    This is my second one,first one I had for 3 years and put on 35,000 miles. The second is a 2016 with 7,500 miles , all totally reliable which for me is a great comfort
    Good posting

• Offline Stump

• Crosstourer Member  ‐    68

Offline Stump

• Crosstourer Member
    • Bike: '16 VFR1200X
    • City / Town: Las Vegas
    Reply #3 on: Feb 26, 2017, 04.00 pm
    Feb 26, 2017, 04.00 pm
     :0461:
    "... Specialization is for Insects."
    - Robert Heinlein

• Offline Yasko   england

• Crosstourer Master  ‐    1361

Offline Yasko

• Crosstourer Master
    • Bike: Africa Twin DCT
    • City / Town: Canterbury
    Reply #4 on: Feb 26, 2017, 05.21 pm
    Feb 26, 2017, 05.21 pm
      Good report Tazmool especially with the comparison of many other bikes
    Bill

• Offline Dave56   gb

• Crosstourer Master  ‐    1794

Offline Dave56

• Crosstourer Master
    • Bike: CRF1100 DCT
    • City / Town: Grantham
    Reply #5 on: Feb 26, 2017, 05.44 pm
    Feb 26, 2017, 05.44 pm
    Sums the bike up brilliantly tazmool.  :028:
    "The more the miles, the bigger the smiles"

• Offline pistnbroke   england

• Crosstourer Master  ‐    1572

Offline pistnbroke

• Crosstourer Master
    • Bike: crosstourer
    • City / Town: Irby
    Reply #6 on: Feb 26, 2017, 05.55 pm
    Feb 26, 2017, 05.55 pm
    Good findings Tazmool and a good review with others bikes in comparison.
    I havent had that many bike as i tend to keep them for a long time, my three most recent have all been Hondas, as i'm no mechanic, that says it all i think.
     :028:  :031:
    keep it shiny side up !!!

• Offline DEMBONES

• Crosstourer Master  ‐    625

Offline DEMBONES

• Crosstourer Master
    • Bike: 2016 VFR1200XD
    • City / Town: PacNW
    Reply #7 on: Feb 27, 2017, 04.30 am
    Feb 27, 2017, 04.30 am
    Coming from a KTM 1290 SA.  Very happy with my new VFRX DCT.  Great bike.  Try VeeJays suspension settings.  Made a big difference for me.

arab-exile