Author Topic: Which Spray  (Read 5906 times)

• Offline slomogadgie   scotland

• Non Active
    • Crosstourer Master  ‐    1233
    • Topic Author

Offline slomogadgie

• Non Active
    • Crosstourer Master
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: Olde School CT
    • City / Town: Peternapper
    Which Spray
    on: Feb 18, 2017, 06.39 am
    Feb 18, 2017, 06.39 am
    Hello,
    Just wondering if you guys have any recommendations for a spray to use on the CT. Sounds a bit vague I suppose now that I've read it:(
    Anyway, a change of job now looks on the cards and it will mean a round trip of about 65 miles per day. I'm hoping to use the CT most days as the traffic gets a bit slow and congested in the town so it would be handy to be able to filter a wee bit now and again.
    So thinking I need to keep on top of the bike cleaning for a change. Is there any sprays that can be applied all over the bike during the week to try and stave of the worst of the road grime etc. Is it worth giving it a quick hose down every day to get rid of most of the road salt that's still going about etc?
    Cheers
    Slomo
    What do you mean it's raining....get ootside and ride the thing.

• Offline Yasko   england

• Crosstourer Master  ‐    1361

Offline Yasko

• Crosstourer Master
    • Bike: Africa Twin DCT
    • City / Town: Canterbury
    Re: Which Spray
    Reply #1 on: Feb 18, 2017, 07.31 am
    Feb 18, 2017, 07.31 am
    Minimum one application of ACF 50 protection for the winter. More exposed parts apply weekly. Avoid applying on brakes and apply with cloth where possible, more economic. Gentle hose down after every ride would help and dry with hair dryer or similar. For maximum protection each week hose down bike, apply 'Muck Off' or similar wait 5 minutes hose down again and dry an re-apply ACF 50. Worked for me years ago with plenty of winter riding (VFR800 v.tec). Now days when the CT goes out occasionally on crap and salt covered roads I just wash down apply 'Muck Off' and wash down again. I have no visible corrosion on the CT. Would do more but back chronic back problems make it difficult. Hope this helps Slomo.
    Bill

• Non Active
    • Topic Author

Offline slomogadgie

• Non Active
    • Crosstourer Master
    • Topic Author
    Reply #2 on: Feb 18, 2017, 08.28 am
    Feb 18, 2017, 08.28 am
    Thanks Bill. I've started using Snow Foam and it seems to work well enough.
    Not sure about the drying with a hair dryer daily though....don't even do that with myself now haha.

• Offline Yasko   england

• Crosstourer Master  ‐    1361

Offline Yasko

• Crosstourer Master
    • Bike: Africa Twin DCT
    • City / Town: Canterbury
    Reply #3 on: Feb 18, 2017, 08.40 am
    Feb 18, 2017, 08.40 am
    Me to with my bone dome. :159:
    Bill

• Offline ukstu

• Crosstourer Pro  ‐    488

Offline ukstu

• Crosstourer Pro
    • Bike: Crosstourer
    • City / Town: Warrington
    Reply #4 on: Feb 18, 2017, 09.00 am
    Feb 18, 2017, 09.00 am
    Like Yasko, I use acf50 slomo. Works well.  I find it a pain to apply, it gets everywhere and you need to avoid applying to brakes. I spray on then use a cloth, it goes a long way. I also spray some into the cap and use a small (quarter inch) paint brush to get into awkward places and exposed fasteners.  A hose down with cold water after the ride will take the gunge off and hopefully leave the acf50 on for a little longer. 

I clean using sdoc100 cleaner when I give the bike a proper clean summer or winter, expensive but best I've used by a long way.

I paid "all year biker" for a treatment on my last CT a few years ago. Costs about £100 but the bike gets a really good clean and dry then a big application of acf50 using a spray gun and compressor. They cover the bike and spray under the cover, it gets into all the hidden areas including electrics etc so really does last the season. Worth considering but only at the start of the season to make it worth it.

cheers

Stu

• Offline GADGET

• Crosstourer Master  ‐    610

Offline GADGET

• Crosstourer Master
    Reply #5 on: Feb 18, 2017, 09.18 am
    Feb 18, 2017, 09.18 am
    ACF50, for definite, its a bugger to  apply, I use a small spray gun and compressor, which produces a fine mist that gets everywhere (try to avoid brakes though:) But then, I don't ride in the Winter nowdays. :002:

• Offline pistnbroke   england

• Crosstourer Master  ‐    1572

Offline pistnbroke

• Crosstourer Master
    • Bike: crosstourer
    • City / Town: Irby
    Reply #6 on: Feb 18, 2017, 11.18 am
    Feb 18, 2017, 11.18 am
    Hi slomo, i also use acf50 1 or 2 times a year, after most rides i clean the bike with muc-off then shami leather it down, once dry i then give it a good coating of wd40 sprayed into all crevices, bike seem to still look good.
     :028:  :031:
    keep it shiny side up !!!

• Non Active
    • Topic Author

Offline slomogadgie

• Non Active
    • Crosstourer Master
    • Topic Author
    Reply #7 on: Feb 18, 2017, 12.38 pm
    Feb 18, 2017, 12.38 pm
    thanks guys.
    TBH the CT is in a bit of a mess. I live right on the NE coast and I think a combination of sea air and neglect (by me) has taken its toll. Starting to noticed several areas of 'dodgyness' as far as corrosion is concerned. Partly I feel because, last year I was so disinterested in the CT due to it's fables and pure lack of (and this is only me) ability to excite me enough to go out on a ride on it, I just left it un-cleaned after a run...leaving in covered in grime etc.