Author Topic: Warning !! oversensitive warning lights !!!!  (Read 2664 times)

• Offline HEN99

• Crosstourer Pro  ‐    393
    • Topic Author

Offline HEN99

• Crosstourer Pro
    • Topic Author
    Warning !! oversensitive warning lights !!!!
    on: Feb 05, 2017, 07.07 pm
    Feb 05, 2017, 07.07 pm
    So- it was a fairly bright start  here in Norfolk - the temperature gauge was climbing right time for a ride to test my new cold weather gear, Heated gloves on low , I was just thinking how easy the CT was to ride at all speeds  ( well above 10mph !! ) when I came across a flooded road  :084: No problem , I'm on a -sort of adventure bike  :028: well 10 metres of water followed by 70 odd of mud , bu**er  " I shall have to get the cleaning gear out again"  and on I went to Norwich. A brief coffee stop later , I planned my return , missing the lake of earlier, I started the bike and moved off , soon noticing two warning lights were still on , the oil light and the TC failure , 800 metres later they were still on .Oh ****  mmm Do I have a problem or not ??? I wasn't worried about the  TC  but the oil light could be a major  :110: but hang on I had only checked the oil a week before , and we all Know that the CT does not burn oil , I decided to go home ,  I didn't want to stop in case the engine decided not to start again   , the thought of waiting for the RAC on a Sunday morning was not cheering - Anyway I went home at a steady 50 keeping a close eye on the temp gauge with both  warning lights burning bright . Half an hour later I was home - no smoke no wrecked engine noise  :047: . A good hose down and dry in the sunshine , when I restarted all was fine - No lights !! Hardly a major adventure - but I was a little disappointed that the CT could not cope with a little mud .
     :305:
    Last Edit: Feb 05, 2017, 07.09 pm by HEN99

• Offline pistnbroke   england

• Crosstourer Master  ‐    1572

Offline pistnbroke

• Crosstourer Master
    • Bike: crosstourer
    • City / Town: Irby
    Re: Warning !! oversensitive warning lights !!!!
    Reply #1 on: Feb 05, 2017, 09.57 pm
    Feb 05, 2017, 09.57 pm
    Crazy isnt it, dispite the little disappointment the bike should be able to take a small amount of water splashing at times.
    Luckily for you it must of just evaporated nicely.  :028:
    keep it shiny side up !!!

• Offline Stump

• Crosstourer Member  ‐    68

Offline Stump

• Crosstourer Member
    • Bike: '16 VFR1200X
    • City / Town: Las Vegas
    Reply #2 on: Feb 06, 2017, 12.17 am
    Feb 06, 2017, 12.17 am
    Yikes!   :005:  Scary stuff!  I have always been of the opinion that recycling the ignition is a great first step in checking if something on a computer controlled vehicle is actually going wrong.  Glad your problem.. well... Wasn't!  :047:
    "... Specialization is for Insects."
    - Robert Heinlein

• Offline Yasko   england

• Crosstourer Master  ‐    1361

Offline Yasko

• Crosstourer Master
    • Bike: Africa Twin DCT
    • City / Town: Canterbury
    Reply #3 on: Feb 06, 2017, 07.09 am
    Feb 06, 2017, 07.09 am
    Honda don't pretend that the bike is for off road but water ingress with that riding is somewhat disappointing I agree.
    Bill

• Offline HEN99

• Crosstourer Pro  ‐    393
    • Topic Author

Offline HEN99

• Crosstourer Pro
    • Topic Author
    Reply #4 on: Feb 06, 2017, 12.23 pm
    Feb 06, 2017, 12.23 pm
    Methinks , a lot of people ( car drivers included ) have a warning light on  and end up going to the garage and being charged a fortune to replace non needed parts on the say so of a dodgy warning light  sensor , could it be that manufacturers have made bikes(cars) so reliable that they need some other way to generate income  :005: I guess I  was lucky- but then I  went so slowly  through the muck it was surprising it happened at all- perhaps I should get a hugger fitted after all - Anybody had a CT cut out or refuse to start due to water (muck) getting in the wrong place ??
     :305:

• Offline Gary545

• Crosstourer Pro  ‐    185

Offline Gary545

• Crosstourer Pro
    • Bike: VFR 1200XD
    • City / Town: Wirral
    Reply #5 on: Feb 06, 2017, 12.38 pm
    Feb 06, 2017, 12.38 pm
    Mine did refuse to start once on a Sunday morning nearly causing me to be late at the meeting point for a ride out, but it was my own fault  :430:

Normally after a Sunday ride I just put the bike away then give it a good wash mid week.
    Once washed I always blow dry it with a pet dryer then run it until the fan comes on to dry any water out of unwanted places. This particular time I never run the engine after washing and drying it because it started chucking it down so I just put it away. Then come Sunday it wouldn't start.
    It was turning over fine but wouldn't fire up. Fortunately the battery held up and I just kept cranking and cranking with throttle wide open until it reluctantly started on only 2 or 3 cylinders then I just nursed the throttle to get it warm then it eventually run on all 4 and all was good  :028:

• Offline BRITINFRANCE   fr

• Crosstourer Master  ‐    540

Offline BRITINFRANCE

• Crosstourer Master
    • Bike: 2016 Crosstourer
    • City / Town: SAINT MAXIME
    Reply #6 on: Feb 06, 2017, 11.03 pm
    Feb 06, 2017, 11.03 pm
    Hi Gary , interesting reading your post, because I have read on this forum someone started their CT to move in their garage, running maybe for only 1 min then  parked her up and stopped the engine. Then a few days later went to start her up and had the exact same problem you descride, it appears that the   best proceedure is; once started from cold to let the engine warm up well before stopping, something to do with the auto choke/ordi  im not sure, causing probs for the next start ,,, since I read this I allways let my baby get nice and warm :062: before cutting the motor, if i am wrong someone will corect me please  :020:
    Lambretta125 (1950's) Honda SS125, BSA650 Road Rocket, Husquvana390 motocross, Honda CR480 motocross, Honda NC700X, Honda VFR1200X,

• Offline Hartley   england

• Crosstourer God  ‐    3074

Offline Hartley

• Crosstourer God
    • Bike: Crosstourer
    • City / Town: Northampton
    Reply #7 on: Feb 06, 2017, 11.10 pm
    Feb 06, 2017, 11.10 pm
    Quite right.
    I first had this happen on my FJR.
     Then once moved my CT just a few feet and then switched it off while on holiday. Absolute bugger to start later. I always run til warm now.

arab-exile