Author Topic: Luggage suggestions? Lets see those top boxes! Tail bags!  (Read 7456 times)

• Offline Tazmool

• Crosstourer Pro  ‐    127
    • Topic Author

Offline Tazmool

• Crosstourer Pro
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: VFR1200X
    Luggage suggestions? Lets see those top boxes! Tail bags!
    on: Feb 01, 2017, 12.42 am
    Feb 01, 2017, 12.42 am
    Hello everyone,
    Hope you all are well wherever in the world you are.

Here its winter, cold, snowy... (well, the snow keeps melting, then coming back)

I've been tinkering with my bike, getting to know it, getting it ready for spring.
    One thing I've been working on is a compact set of luggage on the bike, for day trips, or even multi day (2-3day) trips.  For long distance stuff (Cross Canada etc) I'll get larger bags, and cross that bridge when I get to it.  For now I'd like compact luggage that can stay on the bike, be functional, look good too.

I have the saddle bags figured out, I got the smallest Givi bags I could find, they will hold enough.
    But I've been thinking about some sort of add-on, a tail bag, or maybe a small/compact top box?

I'll be honest I'm not crazy about a huge bubble mounted on the tail rack, the look and the cross wind thing, are a big deal for me (I'll be honest, I really don't like the look of that big bubble hanging back there)

I'm not into double riding, or tank bags so I can use the passenger seat perhaps...

In the past, on my ST1300, I used a Corbin smuggler trunk, and loved its utility and how it blended with the bike...
    I'd love to setup something similar to that on the CT...

Any ideas?  photos of your setup?
    I'll include a photo of what I've got so far....

Tazmool

• Offline bampy

• Crosstourer Pro  ‐    411

Offline bampy

• Crosstourer Pro
    • Bike: DCT Highlander
    • City / Town: Cardiff
    Re: Luggage suggestions? Lets see those top boxes! Tail bags!
    Reply #1 on: Feb 01, 2017, 12.53 am
    Feb 01, 2017, 12.53 am
    I used a Givvi Trekker 45litre top box in conjunction with 1 x 30litre and 2 x 20 litre Kriega soft bags that fit neatly on the passenger seat. In my experience they totally waterproof and the liners are removable and washable and are excellent quality.

• Offline Fatsam47

• Crosstourer Pro  ‐    322

Offline Fatsam47

• Crosstourer Pro
    Reply #2 on: Feb 01, 2017, 11.30 am
    Feb 01, 2017, 11.30 am
    Can't take photos as all packed away at present. My bike has the standard Honda luggage with the  non zippy top box.  I use either a 40 or 60 litre Lomo dry bag strapped to back seat or to rack to replace top box, depending on whether or not I have a pillion. Use Rok straps for the strapping, much better than bungees. This can swallow tent, sleeping bag(s), sleeping mats, chairs etc. leaving panniers free for other less bulky stuff. This worked well when camping with my daughter last year. The Lomo bags are great value and completely waterproof.

• Offline Stump

• Crosstourer Member  ‐    68

Offline Stump

• Crosstourer Member
    • Bike: '16 VFR1200X
    • City / Town: Las Vegas
    Reply #3 on: Feb 02, 2017, 09.51 pm
    Feb 02, 2017, 09.51 pm
    Just took this Picture for the plasti-dip stock panniers thread.  The top box is a Bestem I keep moving from bike to bike.

"... Specialization is for Insects."
    - Robert Heinlein

• Online Hartley   england

• Crosstourer God  ‐    3074

Online Hartley

• Crosstourer God
    • Bike: Crosstourer
    • City / Town: Northampton
    Reply #4 on: Feb 02, 2017, 10.10 pm
    Feb 02, 2017, 10.10 pm
    Ive got the Givi Trekker set up. 33 litre panniers and a 52 litre top box. If im on my own for the day or maybe a night or two i use one of the panniers as a topbox, works well i think.

• Offline fastnlight

• Crosstourer Pro  ‐    168

Offline fastnlight

• Crosstourer Pro
    • Bike: 2016 DCT
    • City / Town: Gig Harbor, WA
    fastnlight
    Reply #5 on: Feb 03, 2017, 01.36 am
    Feb 03, 2017, 01.36 am
    I bave used a few different solutions over the years including a set of double top boxes that I loved.  The box I use now is seahorse brand and lighter than a pelican while still being waterproof and durable.  They come in all shapes and sizes and can simply be bolted to the rack like mine.  I also have been playing with a set of 20 dollar waist/ shoulder bags as light saddle carriers. 

This unit is also a favorite of mine and very flexible for mounting and expanding.

www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/cortech-super-20-tail-bag

Greg

Last Edit: Feb 03, 2017, 01.38 am by fastnlight
    The Beaten Path is for Beaten People

• Offline slomogadgie   scotland

• Non Active
    • Crosstourer Master  ‐    1233

Offline slomogadgie

• Non Active
    • Crosstourer Master
    • Bike: Olde School CT
    • City / Town: Peternapper
    Reply #6 on: Feb 03, 2017, 05.19 am
    Feb 03, 2017, 05.19 am
    *Originally Posted by Hartley [+]
    Ive got the Givi Trekker set up. 33 litre panniers and a 52 litre top box. If im on my own for the day or maybe a night or two i use one of the panniers as a topbox, works well i think.

Ive got the same set up. I think the bike looks good with the 33lr, but a bit naff with the 52lr....needs must though.
    What do you mean it's raining....get ootside and ride the thing.

• Offline Slidy

• Crosstourer Pro  ‐    116

Offline Slidy

• Crosstourer Pro
    • Bike: Crosstourer, S10
    Reply #7 on: Feb 03, 2017, 06.51 am
    Feb 03, 2017, 06.51 am
    I agree that the 52l top box makes it look a little like a pizza delivery, but for a two weeks trek to Morocco it was a godsend . . . . 'er indoors could fit ALL of her toiletries in it! :164: Even with the lightest stuff in though, and with the drybag on top, it did make it VERY top heavy, so I only use it for long trips and take it off once we get somewhere to do some touring.