Author Topic: Shinko E705  (Read 7113 times)

• Offline Snowy

• Crosstourer Member  ‐    63
    • Topic Author

Offline Snowy

• Crosstourer Member
    • Topic Author
    Shinko E705
    on: Jan 28, 2017, 08.48 am
    Jan 28, 2017, 08.48 am
    I was looking for more feedback on the Anakee Wild before throwing the amount of money they're asking at a set....changed my mind...grabbed a Shinko E705 for the front.

I've been weening myself off full knobbies for a while, mainly due to the cost associated with changing rears every 6000kms (Mitas E09). On the BMW I was running a E08 with a Pirelli Rally front and was really happy with the combo.

So in that vein, I decided to give the Shinko E705  try on the front.

There's many versions of the tyres performance kicking around...from "greatest tyre ever" to "don't use them you'll die in a fireball".

So far I'm happy with it. Couple of hundred kms of dirt today, and some twisty asphalt...they turn in fast. I still have the Battlewing rear on, and it is scrubbed from shoulder to shoulder, no strips, and the Shinko front has 15mm strips on it. There's times mid corner where it does feel like it wants to keep falling in, but it grips well, and with a firm hand on the bars it's no big issue.

I can see how they'd spook some people though.

Worked well on the dirt, less vague than the Bridestone was. Braking and turning with no issues, 2 up, easy pace on hard base sandy/gravel cover, deep and soft in places. Didn't do anything funky.

It's a radial, it's cheap, it sticks, it stops, and it does dirt reasonably well.

I'll be fitting a matching rear soon.

• Offline Hartley   england

• Crosstourer God  ‐    3074

Offline Hartley

• Crosstourer God
    • Bike: Crosstourer
    • City / Town: Northampton
    Re: Shinko E705
    Reply #1 on: Jan 28, 2017, 06.34 pm
    Jan 28, 2017, 06.34 pm
    From a lot of tyre related question it seems to me you guys down under have very different tyre requirements than most UK/European riders. I'd say up here it's generally more pure road or say 80/20 road/off-road rubber people fit. May explain the lack of feedback.
    Glad you've found something that works for you, it's an expensive game when you fork out for tyres and zero confidence in them.

• Offline Snowy

• Topic Author

Offline Snowy

• Crosstourer Member
    • Topic Author
    Reply #2 on: Jan 28, 2017, 11.52 pm
    Jan 28, 2017, 11.52 pm
    My average "touring" round trip kms from here generally involve highway, country back road, dirt road, what the US guys call "twin track", the odd powerline trail, fire trails, National Parks access dirt roads, and then some of the best twisty mountain highway we have, followed by dirt roads and back roads.

Finding a tyre that'll do all of that adequately and not be terrible at any one part of it is the challenge with these bikes.

On the old 800GS I preferred the Scorpion Rally front and Mitas E09 rear. Because I could scrape the pegs on the fun tar parts, and still make my way through a 4x4 boghole, or climb a rocky fire trail.

I think the Honda is going to be "too much bike" on the tar for knobbies to work as well as they do on the BMW. I push it a little harder than the BMW, because it steers and stops better.

Some of the trails I did with full knobbies I started doing with less aggressive tyres, and I was surprised at how far you could push them.

Some rides have things like this in the middle of them:

and then shortly after:

followed by:

and some unusual routes home again. These were from one day ride, 2 up.

Tyres that'll do all of this AND last....unheard of...it's like chasing the Holy Grail....

• Offline fastnlight

• Crosstourer Pro  ‐    168

Offline fastnlight

• Crosstourer Pro
    • Bike: 2016 DCT
    • City / Town: Gig Harbor, WA
    Reply #3 on: Jan 30, 2017, 04.44 am
    Jan 30, 2017, 04.44 am
    Hi Snowy,  You have picked a well rounded tire and should be quite pleased over the life of the 705.  I have run them on lightish 650 singles and more recently wore through two sets on a 650 V-strom with some of those miles 2up and packed for distance.

I always found them good wearing, stable at speed, sure footed leaned over and decent in the wet.  Their off-pavement performance was always great in any variety of gravel, dirt, and rocks but less than decent in mud and sand.  Don't get me wrong, if you have just a short patch or section of soft ground either wet or dry, they can do the trick, but not without some concentration and care.

I did have a chance last year to push a set riding solo with overnight gear over mile after mile of shallow muddy conditions and that put me on my side three times in one hour.   My buddy on a Tiger with 705 rear and K60 front managed to stay upright but was under severe duress and spent by the end.  Just a bit more bite on the front makes all the difference.

Over a short section of muddy ground (not deep) they roll over with limited control but after a short distance, they start to hold the mud too well and become slicks.

I only wish Shinko had a model between the 705 and 805 that would fit our bikes.  I am running a set of 805/4s right now, and while they eat the off road surfaces for breakfast, they are not even close to as smooth and sure footed on the road as the 705.  They are better than I thought they would be so that counts for something, to me.

Greg

Last Edit: Jan 30, 2017, 04.54 am by fastnlight
    The Beaten Path is for Beaten People

• Offline Big Bob

• Crosstourer Pro  ‐    353

Offline Big Bob

• Crosstourer Pro
    • City / Town: Perth
    Reply #4 on: Jan 30, 2017, 07.48 am
    Jan 30, 2017, 07.48 am
    In Western Australia where I live the gravel is deep pea gravel and rarely if ever graded. As such you need a minimum 50/50 tyre just to make it safe. But over east some of the gravel roads are hard pack and much easier to live with.

• Offline Snowy

• Topic Author

Offline Snowy

• Crosstourer Member
    • Topic Author
    Reply #5 on: Jan 31, 2017, 02.32 am
    Jan 31, 2017, 02.32 am
    Yeah spot on Big Bob, most of the high country trails are red clay and gravel. You end up with a hard as concrete base, and a dusting of gravel/crushed sandstone/sand on them.

Easy when dry. Not so much when wet, but not the end of the world, but mid winter when they freeze...fun and games. Frozen clay base with a wet coating of thawed clay on top is like riding on teflon covered in grease.

Full knobbies will pack with clay and be useless in a matter of a couple of metres:

I did the short climb anbd the tyres packed with mud straight up. It was all frozen underneath, even thought he sun is shining and it's late morning, the temp was about 10 degrees, but the clay down deep was frozen after a long cold snap. The snow had burned off through this section but was evident along the sides of the track further up. Wife couldn't walk across the track without falling over. Hilarity ensued.

Found a soak on a trip about 6 years back...oh joy....was just riding along, bike sunk from under us:

Fire trail in Brindabella Mountains, leaf litter and lots of soil over track. Logging trucks destroy them over winter, the rains in summer turn them into soup, they dry out ok again:

Powerline trails behind Talbingo, lots of rocks, and when they use gravel, it's the size of half house bricks:

Central Queensland....red dust deep over rock hard base when you get out of the worn tracks:

The great adventure bike lottery....trying to pick tyres that'll do what you want to do and banking the weather is the way you want it for the trips you have planned.

Or you learn to cope with what you have.

• Offline Snowy

• Topic Author

Offline Snowy

• Crosstourer Member
    • Topic Author
    Reply #6 on: Jan 31, 2017, 08.35 am
    Jan 31, 2017, 08.35 am
    Sinko E705 emergency brake test - pass

I was fully expecting ABS to get upset, downhill into roundabout and the car I thought was going straight through in the opposite direction did a last second turn, wide, very awkward, no indicator, across in front of me and I had to pull it up hard as I hadn't slowed at all. My fault for banking on him doing what he looked like he was going to do.

Felt really good. Solid, no weave or twitch, and plowed to a stop from an indicated 95kph. I was watching the mirrors...

With the mileage people say they get from these I was expecting the grip to be a little on the scarce side. Pleasantly surprised.

My favourite local slippery intersection has had another big crash, and is currently covered in engine oil, diesel and sand. So far no mishaps going through there. Rain forecast tomorrow though....wet weather test results to come....

• Offline Snowy

• Topic Author

Offline Snowy

• Crosstourer Member
    • Topic Author
    Reply #7 on: Feb 10, 2017, 12.40 am
    Feb 10, 2017, 12.40 am

500kms.

So far at the time of this pic it'd done 160kms of rocky dirt road, about 80kms of back roads and commuting. All 2 up.

I've got nearly 1000kms on it now, pic to follow.

I've ridden in pouring rain, stinking heatwave, and on chilly (for this time of the year) mornings. No traction issues at all.

You get used to the sharp turn in and vague feeling at full lean. They feel a bit vague, but they don't move a bit.

At this rate these things will still be on here in a years time. Maybe two years.

I'm impressed with these tyres. From the 50/50 love/hate stories I'd read I wasn't expecting anything this good.