Author Topic: What gets done on third year service plan  (Read 2044 times)

• Offline Kingfisher0101

• Crosstourer Junior  ‐    13
    • Topic Author

Offline Kingfisher0101

• Crosstourer Junior
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: 1200x highlander
    • City / Town: Dumfries
    What gets done on third year service plan
    on: Jan 26, 2017, 09.07 pm
    Jan 26, 2017, 09.07 pm
    Hi all,

When I bought my c/t dealer transferred remainder of service plan over to me. What gets checked on third service and what should get replaced. Bike has done just over 9000 miles.

Regards Bob  :002:

• Offline wicker

• Crosstourer Member  ‐    27

Offline wicker

• Crosstourer Member
    • Bike: Highlander DCT
    • City / Town: Wick
    What gets done on third year service plan
    Reply #1 on: Jan 26, 2017, 10.14 pm
    Jan 26, 2017, 10.14 pm
    Hi Bob / everyone else,
    I was just in the Honda dealership yesterday booking my CT in for her 3rd Year service and 1st MOT. My bike has just done 7000 miles, and I asked the guy what he would recommend for the service. He said that the service plan included the checking of the valve clearances, and it could be done, but wasn't really needed until 24,000 miles, but he did recommend a change of all the fluids (brake, coolant, oil etc). Do you think that would be OK, or should the valve clearance get checked too?

Not sure if this helps or not Bob. I'm in the same situation as you.

Cheers! :-)
    Last Edit: Jan 26, 2017, 10.17 pm by wicker

• Offline MotoGpNick

• Crosstourer Master  ‐    764

Offline MotoGpNick

• Crosstourer Master
    • Bike: VFR1200XSE White
    Re: What gets done on third year service plan
    Reply #2 on: Jan 27, 2017, 08.41 am
    Jan 27, 2017, 08.41 am
    I had mine done and asked if they had checked the valves etc as per the manual - errrr no they said -  nor had they changed the fluids. Best do it again says I, as per the manual. Thats what I paid for so you will do it.  :232:

So they did it again and as I had covertly marked at the valve covers and fluid connections and bleed nipple I know they had done it

:305:
    Yam YDS7,Suzuki T350 Rebel,Kawasaki 350 S2, Suzuki GT550, Kawasaki H1B 500, Kawasaki H2 750, Kawasaki Z1 900, Suzuki RE5 (stolen) Matchless 350 Trials, Kawasaki GTR 1000, ZZR1100C3, ZZR1100D2, Honda 900 Bandit, Suzuki SV1000K5 SZ, Honda Blackbird x 2, Honda Varadero 1000 - Honda CT

• Offline Kingfisher0101

• Crosstourer Junior  ‐    13
    • Topic Author

Offline Kingfisher0101

• Crosstourer Junior
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: 1200x highlander
    • City / Town: Dumfries
    Reply #3 on: Jan 27, 2017, 08.19 pm
    Jan 27, 2017, 08.19 pm
    Hi wicker,

It's a hard one because you pay a lot of money for the bike and then they try and push this service plan on you. And for them not to do it by the book is a bit disappointing, but thanks for all the info it does help. Hope your enjoying your c/t.

Regards Bob

• Offline ukstu

• Crosstourer Pro  ‐    488

Offline ukstu

• Crosstourer Pro
    • Bike: Crosstourer
    • City / Town: Warrington
    Reply #4 on: Jan 27, 2017, 09.35 pm
    Jan 27, 2017, 09.35 pm
    Hi folks,

It's mileage or time, whichever comes first. Regardless of the mileage, the full service should be done at the service interval. I'd assume the warranty would be invalidated if the full service isn't done?

Either way, if I've paid for the service plan (which I have) I'll insist on the full service. I'm guessing they wouldn't offer a discount if they hadn't done the valve check.

Cheers

Stu

• Offline Hartley   england

• Crosstourer God  ‐    3074

Offline Hartley

• Crosstourer God
    • Bike: Crosstourer
    • City / Town: Northampton
    Reply #5 on: Jan 27, 2017, 09.36 pm
    Jan 27, 2017, 09.36 pm
    Bit of a strange one, IMO fluid / filter changes etc should all be done. As you say, you've paid for it.

However, Valve clearances are more mileage dependant. 3rd service calls for clearance check, some could potentially have 16000 miles at that point, others may have as little as just 5 or 6 thousand.
    I'd expect decent trustworthy dealer to point out it really isn't worth doing if you've done such a low mileage. If you're paying on the day this should be reflected in the cost.

If youve paid for the service plan, like I have also, well, best get some miles done and get value for money. ( says me who's had his bike since the 6th of December and still not actually ridden it :138: )
    Last Edit: Jan 27, 2017, 10.19 pm by Hartley

• Offline wicker

• Crosstourer Member  ‐    27

Offline wicker

• Crosstourer Member
    • Bike: Highlander DCT
    • City / Town: Wick
    Reply #6 on: Feb 16, 2017, 03.41 pm
    Feb 16, 2017, 03.41 pm
    Hi guys,

Just a quick update on this.  I just phoned the dealer to change it for the full service, and they said they had already booked it on for the 24,000 mile / 3 year service anyway, so they were going to do the valve clearance, change air filter, fluids etc.  Great service from them I thought!   :028:

arab-exile