Author Topic: Locking up Bike?  (Read 11483 times)

• Offline Mcgrath

• Crosstourer Pro  ‐    188
    • Topic Author

Offline Mcgrath

• Crosstourer Pro
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: DCT 2012 Black
    • City / Town: Swords
    Locking up Bike?
    on: Jan 24, 2017, 06.41 pm
    Jan 24, 2017, 06.41 pm
    Hoping to collect a 2012 DCT next week. Just wondering how people are locking their bikes? The obvious is chain through the wheel.
    Anyone have any other novel ideas? I don't see much room anywhere else to get a chain or anti-pinch pin through chassis!

Any ideas welcome.

• Offline pistnbroke   england

• Crosstourer Master  ‐    1572

Offline pistnbroke

• Crosstourer Master
    • Bike: crosstourer
    • City / Town: Irby
    Re: Locking up Bike?
    Reply #1 on: Jan 24, 2017, 08.12 pm
    Jan 24, 2017, 08.12 pm
    I have a oxford hardcore lock and chain which i feed through the racking in my garage and try to keep it off the floor as much as possible so there is no solid background to be hit against.  :027:
    Everything is just a deterent.
    Hopefully the CT hasnt reached the wrong radar yet of the thieving type.  :028:
     :031:
    keep it shiny side up !!!

• Offline Stevensweert

• Crosstourer Master  ‐    641

Offline Stevensweert

• Crosstourer Master
    • Bike: VFR1200 X CT DCT
    • City / Town: Stevensweert
    Reply #2 on: Jan 24, 2017, 08.27 pm
    Jan 24, 2017, 08.27 pm
    I use a chain lock, connect that to an other bike and combined with a breaking disc lock with alarm (hope this is good English  :034: )
    Tony

• Offline Mcgrath

• Topic Author

Offline Mcgrath

• Crosstourer Pro
    • Topic Author
    Reply #3 on: Jan 24, 2017, 09.34 pm
    Jan 24, 2017, 09.34 pm
    I'm going to pick up a good chain, probably an Almax. I normally lock my bikes through the wheel, but this bike is worth more than my previous bikes so I am wondering if there is a good way of securing it through the chassis. Securityforbikes do a nice anti-pinch pin that can be passed through gaps, but I couldn't see anywhere suitable when I was at the dealer.  My fear is the chained wheel is just removed, I know the bike is very heavy to maneuver with a wheel missing, but stranger things have happened. I'm guessing the rear wheel is harder to remove than the front?
    Cheers..

• Offline Fatsam47

• Crosstourer Pro  ‐    322

Offline Fatsam47

• Crosstourer Pro
    Reply #4 on: Jan 24, 2017, 10.30 pm
    Jan 24, 2017, 10.30 pm
    I use a Pragmasis 16mm chain looped through front forks and around triple clamp. I looked at the anti pinch pin, made by same firm who made my chain, but couldn't see where you could use it, as the CT's rear axle/drive unit isn't hollow like the GS. Beam frame and tight packaging don't seem to offer any other obvious places, hence my solution which, while not ideal, is the best I could come up with. The chain will hopefully deter all but the most determined thief as it's pretty beefy.

I think rear wheel is actually easier to remove as it's just loosening the exhaust and then removing wheel nuts. Front wheel needs brake calipers removing, pinch bolts and then spindle.

• Offline Mcgrath

• Topic Author

Offline Mcgrath

• Crosstourer Pro
    • Topic Author
    Reply #5 on: Jan 24, 2017, 10.45 pm
    Jan 24, 2017, 10.45 pm
    *Originally Posted by Fatsam47 [+]
    I use a Pragmasis 16mm chain looped through front forks and around triple clamp. I looked at the anti pinch pin, made by same firm who made my chain, but couldn't see where you could use it, as the CT's rear axle/drive unit isn't hollow like the GS. Beam frame and tight packaging don't seem to offer any other obvious places, hence my solution which, while not ideal, is the best I could come up with. The chain will hopefully deter all but the most determined thief as it's pretty beefy.

I think rear wheel is actually easier to remove as it's just loosening the exhaust and then removing wheel nuts. Front wheel needs brake calipers removing, pinch bolts and then spindle.

Interesting... I never considered that! What length chain you using? Are you using the Noose end type chain?

Thanks for the info about the wheels..

• Offline Fatsam47

• Crosstourer Pro  ‐    322

Offline Fatsam47

• Crosstourer Pro
    Reply #6 on: Jan 24, 2017, 10.56 pm
    Jan 24, 2017, 10.56 pm
    Yep, noose end chain, 2.5m. Almax don't seem to offer that, hence going with Pragmasis/Security for bikes. I wouldn't go bigger than 16mm link (they do up to 22mm) as it's already quite unwieldy.

• Offline Mcgrath

• Topic Author

Offline Mcgrath

• Crosstourer Pro
    • Topic Author
    Reply #7 on: Jan 24, 2017, 11.15 pm
    Jan 24, 2017, 11.15 pm
    *Originally Posted by Fatsam47 [+]
    Yep, noose end chain, 2.5m. Almax don't seem to offer that, hence going with Pragmasis/Security for bikes. I wouldn't go bigger than 16mm link (they do up to 22mm) as it's already quite unwieldy.

That's great info.. I appreciate it..!