Author Topic: Anakee Wild - anyone run them?  (Read 2984 times)

• Offline Snowy

• Crosstourer Member  ‐    63
    • Topic Author

Offline Snowy

• Crosstourer Member
    • Topic Author
    Anakee Wild - anyone run them?
    on: Jan 23, 2017, 05.13 am
    Jan 23, 2017, 05.13 am
    Looking for feedback if anyone has used the new Anakee Wild on a CT or any other 1200 sized bike?

Mileage?

Basic characteristics?

Projected mileage from a set?

Yep...all purely speculative or anecdotal at best...but I can't find anything useful.

I'd run a Pirelli Scorpion Rally Front and Mitas E09 rear like I always have on the BMW...but the urge to try something new and different has taken me with the new bike.

• Offline TiuSo

• Crosstourer Pro  ‐    206

Offline TiuSo

• Crosstourer Pro
    • Bike: VFR1200XD
    • City / Town: Kangasala
    Re: Anakee Wild - anyone run them?
    Reply #1 on: Jan 23, 2017, 09.18 pm
    Jan 23, 2017, 09.18 pm
    I have used a couple of those at rear and one at front. Got approx. 3000 km out of the rears, and 6000 km front. I like them, especially the first 1000 kms the rear is good. To my liking, they are better than Karoo 3 and last a bit longer at rear. Much better than Mitas and Heidenau K60 Scout. I guess I'm hard on rear tyre, I got only 4000 - 6000 km out of K60.. You have nothing to lose, if you are riding non-paved roads or off-road try them.. Karoo 3 is better on tarmac but these are better everywhere else. Drop the pressure, and have fun!

TiuSo

• Offline Big Bob

• Crosstourer Pro  ‐    353

Offline Big Bob

• Crosstourer Pro
    • City / Town: Perth
    Reply #2 on: Jan 23, 2017, 11.28 pm
    Jan 23, 2017, 11.28 pm
    Mitas e09 is harsh for the rear. Go to the E7 I'm at 13000km so far

• Offline Snowy

• Topic Author

Offline Snowy

• Crosstourer Member
    • Topic Author
    Reply #3 on: Jan 24, 2017, 01.32 am
    Jan 24, 2017, 01.32 am
    Yeah for a couple of years with the BMW I went Scorpion Rally front (90/90-21), and Mitas E09 rear (150/70-17) for winter, Rally front and E07 rear for summer. Some summers with fire trail work I'd wear out a couple of E07s. 2 up the very outside knobs wear badly for me. At max lean I'm right on those little outside knows pushing near 1/2 tonne total weight. They don't like that. They end up half the height of the larger knob next to them, which makes a funny stepped turn in at the rear. Like it wants to fall over at about the point the pegs start scraping.

Aggressive tar riding 2 up destroys most of these tyres, obviously. The E09 lasted well, did the job of a dirt tyre, but for wet and slippery roads they were only marginally better than a K60. It's not something that troubles me terribly, I've ridden through lots of winters here, in the snow and ice on fire trails, on frozen red clay etc. Yep...it gets nasty fast. But they are what they are. I've been stuck on the slightest of climbs because the clay was frozen, and 2 up the tyres just wont grip enough to give any traction. I dropped pressures to 10 psi on one power line trail in the Brindabellas when I got stuck on a frozen climb. Ended up riding in the paddock parallel to the road trying to get any traction I could. On one run, the wife couldn't stand up on the frozen track. Comical. More comical trying to ride on it. Backwards, sideways....and have a lay down.

K60 I got 11,000kms from, and they were 6mm deep at centre line, but squared badly and they started sweating an oily residue. The centre bar makes them horrible on deep gravel roads. After the 11K mark I used a knobby knife and cut out the centre bar so they resembled the smaller size with the chevron pattern. Much increased stability in deep gravel. Better in mud, better drive and brakes on dirt. Pain in the arse to sit and cut out each section by hand though.

Mitas E09 I have 1/2 dozen old ones behind the garage, all worn to about 5~6mm at centre by 6000kms, which is about half their new tread height. They are effectively useless as a knobbie once they get to that point, and they'd last great for a road only run home from a long trip. I've heard plenty of guys say they get 10,000kms from them, but I wouldn't want to be riding 4x4 trails and fire trails on them.

Mitas E07 I got 10,000 from the old ones in the 150 width that had no centre bar. I got the same from the 140 width. Measuring the 2 tyres side by side, there is no real difference in width. I believe the 140 is a crossply, and the 150 is bias. I ran the 140 mostly, because they were $179, and the 150 was $210 or so.

I've run a 130/80-17 Mitas C-02 Stoneking on the BMW at one stage. Foooly Sick. It was like having super traction. The BMWs 85 hp just couldn't spin it hard in the dirt while 2 up. They'll do an easy 4000kms and still have enough tread depth to work in loose stuff.

I tried the Kenda big block...threw it away after 2000kms. We didn't get along. Wife complained that the back of the bike skated around all over the place when trying to climb.

The VFR is heavier, but not by much, than my BMW. But the VFR has traction control and the BMW didn't (first year model of the F series), So I reckon I could potentially get more out of the same tyres.

In this configuration the BMW weighs 255kg fully fuelled.

Stoneking 130/80-17 on a 4.25 rim

E09 - showing typical wear at around 6000km mark, about 70% fire trails

That's the worst damage I ever did to an E09. Ripped it down to the belting. Was running it as a tubeless at the time. I'd just done the Dry Creek fire trail in the Deur NP, onto the Merricumbene, and then the run from Bendethra up to Snowball. Chipped and chunked them up to a small degree. About 10 flooded river crossings. Some epic climbs in there for 2 up riding. I turned a corner on one climb and my helmet wouldn't allow my head to tilt back far enough with my hands on the bars to see the next corner. Waaaay too late to stop. Wifey starts muttering expletives. Got to the BMWs vertical limit. To go forward meant the front wheel was lifting off the ground and I couldn't steer, to try and slow down to get the front wheel down meant I came to a stop and couldn't restart. With a Rekluse auto clutch no less. It was going backwards with the front wheel locked and the rear wheel turning forwards. Didn't end well. 18 months for the wifes bruising and nerve damage to heal. Lucky for me I landed on her.

• Offline TiuSo

Offline TiuSo

• Crosstourer Pro
    Reply #4 on: Jan 24, 2017, 04.42 pm
    Jan 24, 2017, 04.42 pm
    Karoo 3 after a track day ..

TiuSo

• Offline TiuSo

Offline TiuSo

• Crosstourer Pro
    Anakee Wild - anyone run them?
    Reply #5 on: Jan 24, 2017, 04.43 pm
    Jan 24, 2017, 04.43 pm
    Heidi K60 Scout after 4600 km

TiuSo

• Offline Snowy

• Topic Author

Offline Snowy

• Crosstourer Member
    • Topic Author
    Reply #6 on: Jan 25, 2017, 12.38 am
    Jan 25, 2017, 12.38 am
    Hmmmm.....methinks your throttle hand is a tad frisky.

The Karoo 3 was a great tyre in all respects other than wear. 6000kms out of the rear, and I was done with it.

I know a guy with an 1190 who killed a Karoo 3 in 2 tanks of fuel. But power sliding through tar corners incessantly will do that.

I used the Karoo 3 and did single track with a group of guys on 250s, and they were shocked and impressed. They do surprisingly well in the right terrain. Pine forest, perfect when the soil is loamy.

I was thinking of a Karoo3 rear, but in the 170/60-17 because the tread blocks are a fair bit closer together than on the 150/70-17.

It's a long weekend this weekend, and I was going to change the standard Battlewings for knobbies and hit some fire trails, but it's been very dry here over the last few weeks, so I reckon I'll just go with the Battlewings and see what happens.

arab-exile