Author Topic: Lazy starter motor  (Read 4547 times)

• Offline Tc

• Crosstourer Member  ‐    67
    • Topic Author

Offline Tc

• Crosstourer Member
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: CT,GSA,K1600gtl
    • City / Town: Oswestry Wales
    Lazy starter motor
    on: Jan 20, 2017, 06.22 pm
    Jan 20, 2017, 06.22 pm
    Do some CT's suffer from lazy starter motors.
    Stalled engine in Oswestry and battery just about turned over engine then went flat, by chance a friend was watching my performance at the cross roads and offered to give a push to bump start -it didn't- by luck not judgment I had a set of jump leads in the top box, no idea why. We connected started the bike though it was a bit reluctant. I shot round to a friends garage to have battery and to see if was getting a charge it was on both counts.
    Drove home 18 miles put on optimate battery showed fully charged.
    So any ideas.

• Offline scotsy

• Crosstourer Master  ‐    1545

Offline scotsy

• Crosstourer Master
    • Bike: CRF1000
    • City / Town: Leigh,Lancashire
    Re: Lazy starter motor
    Reply #1 on: Jan 20, 2017, 07.31 pm
    Jan 20, 2017, 07.31 pm
    Could it be an issue with the earth lead?  Behind the LHS fairing there is a collective of green earth wires fixed directly to the chassis, it might be worth taking them off and checking they are making a good contact?

The starter motor earth strap will probably go direct to the starter solenoid and battery earth side as a thick black cable, again check if it is making a good contact and tight

ian  :305:

• Offline Min

• Crosstourer Pro  ‐    241

Offline Min

• Crosstourer Pro
    • Bike: 1200X DCT
    • City / Town: Reading
    Reply #2 on: Jan 20, 2017, 11.02 pm
    Jan 20, 2017, 11.02 pm
    Hi Tc

If I read your email right it seems you may have a battery showing end of life, if you have a digital meter you need to check the standing voltage and the starting voltage or with load like the headlights turned on, if the voltage drops off to below 12v (standing voltage is 12.4v)

I do find my CT did need to have a condition charger on the CT than any other bike I have had before, this may be standing discharge or the type of battery fitted.

Mine needed to be left on a charger if left for more than 7 days and I put this down to the security HISS system.

Min G0JMS  :148:

• Offline pistnbroke   england

• Crosstourer Master  ‐    1572

Offline pistnbroke

• Crosstourer Master
    • Bike: crosstourer
    • City / Town: Irby
    Reply #3 on: Jan 21, 2017, 08.06 pm
    Jan 21, 2017, 08.06 pm
    Hi Min, when i bought the CT i asked the mechanic if there was a drain from the H.I.S.S. system and he said no drain should occur as it was basically an immobiliser.
    Thats what i was told, if you know better i will bow to your greater knowledge as im no mechanic,but i do try to listen.  :028:
    keep it shiny side up !!!

• Offline Martymouse

• Crosstourer Master  ‐    592

Offline Martymouse

• Crosstourer Master
    • Bike: VFR1200X DCT
    • City / Town: Holywell
    Reply #4 on: Jan 21, 2017, 09.33 pm
    Jan 21, 2017, 09.33 pm
    I tend to agree with Min that the standard battery feels marginal; good enough but not great and the cold weather doesn't help.
    Has anyone fitted a lithium battery?  Certainly loses a few pounds !!
    Puch125, CD175, CB175, C90, CB100, CB900, VF750, K100, CBR1000, CBR1000, DR650SE, RF900R, Bayliner, RF900R, Super Blackbird, Piaggio X9 125, Burgman 650, Hayabusa, VFR1200F, VFR1200X, F800 GT,

• Offline Min

Offline Min

• Crosstourer Pro
    Reply #5 on: Jan 22, 2017, 01.19 pm
    Jan 22, 2017, 01.19 pm
    Hi All

If anything even an immobiliser is connected there will be a current drain.

If the battery is looking poor (aged or been allowed to get too low) then yes you would get lights, the fuel pump running but then just a click.
    I have been caught after leaving the CT standing for 2 weeks without a charge, and it's been a jump start or put it on the charger.
    I now leave the bike on a condition charger with the special charging lead already connected top the battery , no need to lift the seat.

I work in an industry that uses many batteries for support and they need keeping in the best condition and temperature, not allowing them to go flat or over charging them.  Treat them well and they will last, it is a chemical reaction going on and the mechanic who say's no drain, should ask what lights the red LED on the HISS and the software that is the HISS system.....

Battery difference after a quick scan. Wemoto Lead Acid £99 or Lithium Ion £155... lighter weight on the heavy beast.

Lithium Ion or Lead Acid ?????

All a bit of the subject   :450:

PS Hope to hear if the insurance CN is going to pay out for the repair after my embrace with Bambi and the herd of Deer.   :087:

Min G0JMS  :148:

• Offline Martymouse

• Crosstourer Master  ‐    592

Offline Martymouse

• Crosstourer Master
    • Bike: VFR1200X DCT
    • City / Town: Holywell
    Reply #6 on: Jan 25, 2017, 04.48 pm
    Jan 25, 2017, 04.48 pm
     :003: Well that will teach me ...
    My starter motor may well be bright and frisky for all I know, but I reckon that the battery has given up the ghost and is probably taking a charge but failing under load and cold.
    Clickety, clickety click ....
    It is probably getting on for 4-5 years old so maybe not so bad.
    Oh well, the lithium vs traditional debate has started in my head.
    Puch125, CD175, CB175, C90, CB100, CB900, VF750, K100, CBR1000, CBR1000, DR650SE, RF900R, Bayliner, RF900R, Super Blackbird, Piaggio X9 125, Burgman 650, Hayabusa, VFR1200F, VFR1200X, F800 GT,

• Offline Min

Offline Min

• Crosstourer Pro
    Reply #7 on: Jan 25, 2017, 09.44 pm
    Jan 25, 2017, 09.44 pm
    Hi Martymouse

Yes sounds like you may have a cell going down and 3 years + could be near the end for it.
    Test the battery by using a multi meter, standing charge should be above 12.4v DC as a minimum.
    Turn on the ignition and lights and see what the voltage drop is (Load Test) if the voltage drops to 10-11 v then there is a cell failing.
    Now - Start the bike and see the voltage of the battery and see what it sags too.
    If it's down to 8-10v I think the starter will not kick in and you see/hear the clik clik.

Then it's time for a new battery.

Alternator running charge voltage is normally 13.4 to 13.7 v

Standard Battery chargers are 13.4v charge rates low or high normally.

Battery Conditioning Chargers vary from 12.3 to 13.7 ramping on and off at a low current allowing the battery to settle and start to discharge slightly before ramping up slowly.

Charging above 13.7v will cook the battery, distorting plates and making the battery gas.

Hope this helps.

Min G0JMS :148:

arab-exile