Author Topic: Farkling and Insurance - beware!!  (Read 1971 times)

• Offline goldit

• Crosstourer Junior  ‐    13
    • Topic Author

Offline goldit

• Crosstourer Junior
    • Topic Author
    Farkling and Insurance - beware!!
    on: Jan 13, 2017, 10.29 am
    Jan 13, 2017, 10.29 am
    It seems that the Media is full of cases where Insurance Companies are avoiding genuine claims because of the small print, one of the major ones being Travel Insurance where health history that you didn't think was relevant because it happened years ago is used to decline a claim.  Because of this my thoughts turned towards my Crosstourer Insurance proposal which, like all I guess, asks me to confirm that the bike has no modifications, but what constitutes a modification?  Heated grips, hugger, different luggage, new screen or seat, the list goes on.  Honda recommended (and approved?) tyres are Pirelli and Bridgstone but many of us use alternatives.  I assume, and most of you probably do too, that these "modifications" will be acceptable but we shouldn't assume that the Insurance Company takes the same viewpoint.  It could be argued that a nice new seat or set of luggage makes the bike more attractive and thus a target for theft.  The following website from Bennetts is very useful but you should be aware that this is Bennetts take on the situation and it may not be the same elsewhere:- 

www.bennetts.co.uk/customer/help-advice/modifications/guide-to-modifications

I have had my suspension modified but haven't told my Insurance Company so that puts me at risk and there are other modifications such as cruise control, different exhausts etc  being discussed on this forum which could well invalidate your insurance cover unless you have made full disclosure.

So my intention is not to alarm you but to suggest that you advise your Insurance Company of everything you do to your bike so that you won't face future potential problems.

• Offline capobob

• Crosstourer Pro  ‐    463

Offline capobob

• Crosstourer Pro
    • Bike: 2015 HighlanderT
    • City / Town: SE London/Kent
    Re: Farkling and Insurance - beware!!
    Reply #1 on: Jan 13, 2017, 10.43 am
    Jan 13, 2017, 10.43 am
     :0461: Good posting...
    It all started with a 1959 Vespa 125 Super.......
    KMX125 KMX200 DRBIG 750 TDM800 R1100RS CAPONORD VARADERO.......

• Offline MotoGpNick

• Crosstourer Master  ‐    764

Offline MotoGpNick

• Crosstourer Master
    • Bike: VFR1200XSE White
    Reply #2 on: Jan 13, 2017, 12.38 pm
    Jan 13, 2017, 12.38 pm
    For the last few years I have always declared all the odds and sods I have done to my bikes, its a real pain having to go through all the lists every time you need to get quotes. However I have covered my arse and they have no excuse for saying i didnt declare everything.   :305:
    Yam YDS7,Suzuki T350 Rebel,Kawasaki 350 S2, Suzuki GT550, Kawasaki H1B 500, Kawasaki H2 750, Kawasaki Z1 900, Suzuki RE5 (stolen) Matchless 350 Trials, Kawasaki GTR 1000, ZZR1100C3, ZZR1100D2, Honda 900 Bandit, Suzuki SV1000K5 SZ, Honda Blackbird x 2, Honda Varadero 1000 - Honda CT

• Offline Dave56   gb

• Crosstourer Master  ‐    1794

Offline Dave56

• Crosstourer Master
    • Bike: CRF1100 DCT
    • City / Town: Grantham
    Reply #3 on: Jan 13, 2017, 02.54 pm
    Jan 13, 2017, 02.54 pm
    Goldit makes a very, very good point.  :028:
    As I've said before and speaking from bitter experience, if an insurance company, and that's any insurance company, can possibly avoid paying a claim they will.
    Having said that and as with most things there are good and bad insurance companies of which I've experienced both but that test will only ever be put into practice when the need to make a claim arises and by then it may be to late.
    The wife who has over 20 years experience in the motor insurance industry, when I mentioned this topic to her I was shocked to learn that she has known of some insurance companies that even declare stickers as a modification.
    So as MotoGPNick states in his post, it's always best to be honest when it comes to declaring any "extras" fitted to the bike and remember, if you bought it second hand make sure your aware of any extras fitted by any previous owner as ignorance is no defence as far as the insurance company concerned.
    "The more the miles, the bigger the smiles"

• Offline Yasko   england

• Crosstourer Master  ‐    1361

Offline Yasko

• Crosstourer Master
    • Bike: Africa Twin DCT
    • City / Town: Canterbury
    Reply #4 on: Jan 13, 2017, 03.34 pm
    Jan 13, 2017, 03.34 pm
    Good posting and replies and if somebody runs into a problem there is nice little phrase that may help ' to the best of my knowledge and belief' which should be found all good policy declarations.
    Bill

• Offline pistnbroke   england

• Crosstourer Master  ‐    1572

Offline pistnbroke

• Crosstourer Master
    • Bike: crosstourer
    • City / Town: Irby
    Reply #5 on: Jan 13, 2017, 07.24 pm
    Jan 13, 2017, 07.24 pm
    Good responses all.
    Ive been with Carole Nash for all my insurances on my bikes, when i got the CT Highlander it came up on there system and the bloke told me all the mods on it, so it must be a regular list they put on the Highlander, i have told them also about the mods i put on at point of purchase, rear hugger, front fender extender and even the tank pad.
    None of this put any extra price on the policy but they know ever thing which is on my bike.
    I do remember someone else a few months ago warning that stickers can invalidate a claim which to us all sounds ludicrous, and still does,how can a sticker alter the performance or attractiveness of a bike, I'm willing to learn though if any one has the answer.
    Ride safe all.  :028:  :031:
    keep it shiny side up !!!

• Offline Dave56   gb

• Crosstourer Master  ‐    1794

Offline Dave56

• Crosstourer Master
    • Bike: CRF1100 DCT
    • City / Town: Grantham
    Reply #6 on: Jan 13, 2017, 07.58 pm
    Jan 13, 2017, 07.58 pm
    *Originally Posted by pistnbroke [+]
    I do remember someone else a few months ago warning that stickers can invalidate a claim which to us all sounds ludicrous, and still does,how can a sticker alter the performance or attractiveness of a bike, I'm willing to learn though if any one has the answer.
    Ride safe all.  :028:  :031:

Apparently with regards to a motor quote, if a car is adorned with stickers and the driver fits within a certain age bracket it flags up - for want of a better term - "boy racer" and therefore a higher risk.
    "The more the miles, the bigger the smiles"