Author Topic: Power commander for VFR1200FA on VFR1200X?  (Read 6910 times)

• Offline Tazmool

• Crosstourer Pro  ‐    127
    • Topic Author

Offline Tazmool

• Crosstourer Pro
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: VFR1200X
    Power commander for VFR1200FA on VFR1200X?
    on: Jan 01, 2017, 07.47 pm
    Jan 01, 2017, 07.47 pm
    Howdy,

Does anyone know if the power commander 5 for the VFR-F will work on the CT?
    They are the same engine, and probably the same wiring harness....   
    I'm wondering if one could use a 2010-2012 VFR1200 PC-V with the CT map loaded, on the CT?

The older PC-V could be had for much less than a new PC-V for the CT.
    I know that the part numbers are different for the two PC-V's I'm talking about....

Tazmool

• Offline Tazmool

• Topic Author

Offline Tazmool

• Crosstourer Pro
    • Topic Author
    Re: Power commander for VFR1200FA on VFR1200X?
    Reply #1 on: Jan 04, 2017, 08.12 am
    Jan 04, 2017, 08.12 am
    Ok,

Did some more digging, despite the part numbers being different, the VFR1200F and VFR1200X power commanders appear to be identical.  Even the installation manuals are identical, same procedure, steps, even photos used for both...
    Everything seems exactly the same....

I found a used PCV for a vfr1200f and bought it.... 
    I'm betting that the parts are exactly the same, and the only real difference is the offset map that is loaded onto the PCV when its shipped, hence the different part numbers.

It will take me a while, but I'll get the part installed and let you guys know how it goes.

I most likely won't need the PCV, and can run the bike just fine with a "Zero" map but it should be a fun project to see if the units are indeed exactly the same.

Oh btw, the K&N air filter part numbers for the F and X are exactly the same as well.

Tazmool

• Offline geirvmax

• Crosstourer Member  ‐    23

Offline geirvmax

• Crosstourer Member
    • Bike: Honda VFR1200X D
    • City / Town: Long Island, NY
    Reply #2 on: Jan 22, 2017, 05.09 am
    Jan 22, 2017, 05.09 am
    Interested in this. Let us know:)

*Originally Posted by Tazmool [+]
    Ok,

Did some more digging, despite the part numbers being different, the VFR1200F and VFR1200X power commanders appear to be identical.  Even the installation manuals are identical, same procedure, steps, even photos used for both...
    Everything seems exactly the same....

I found a used PCV for a vfr1200f and bought it.... 
    I'm betting that the parts are exactly the same, and the only real difference is the offset map that is loaded onto the PCV when its shipped, hence the different part numbers.

It will take me a while, but I'll get the part installed and let you guys know how it goes.

I most likely won't need the PCV, and can run the bike just fine with a "Zero" map but it should be a fun project to see if the units are indeed exactly the same.

Oh btw, the K&N air filter part numbers for the F and X are exactly the same as well.

Tazmool

• Offline pistnbroke   england

• Crosstourer Master  ‐    1572

Offline pistnbroke

• Crosstourer Master
    • Bike: crosstourer
    • City / Town: Irby
    Reply #3 on: Jan 22, 2017, 09.04 am
    Jan 22, 2017, 09.04 am
     Nice work Tazmool,.
    If you do buy another PCV and use it, then if it dosent work properly, would putting your old PCV back in make it work as it did originally ?
    Im no mechanic but i do like to listen.  :002:
    Cheers Tazmool.  :028:  :031:
    keep it shiny side up !!!

• Offline Clanmurray

• Crosstourer Member  ‐    59

Offline Clanmurray

• Crosstourer Member
    • Bike: VFR1200X DCT H
    • City / Town: Perth
    Reply #4 on: Jan 22, 2017, 09.14 am
    Jan 22, 2017, 09.14 am
     :460: nice one Tazmool

Davy  :305:

• Offline Tazmool

• Topic Author

Offline Tazmool

• Crosstourer Pro
    • Topic Author
    Reply #5 on: Jan 31, 2017, 07.10 pm
    Jan 31, 2017, 07.10 pm
    pistnbroke,
    The PCV is a "piggy-back" system that sits on top of the stock computer/ecm, it intercepts and adjusts the length and timing of the fuel injector "on" pulse, thus adjusting the amount of fuel being injected into the air flow by each fuel injector. 

The PCV "map" is a fuel injection adjustment map which works along side the stock fuel injection system which has its own fuel map.  (this is in contrast to making an actual fuel injection map, and flashing it directly onto the bikes stock computer, which is the preferred method of adjusting fuelling)

So installing the PCV (Power Commander V [five]) works along side the stock computer, which is not removed but needs to be there to control the bikes various systems, including the fuel injection system, the PCV only adjusts the fuel injection, the stock computer does all the other work it always did. 

Removing the PCV will return bike back to stock/original fuelling.
    Another way to return the bike back to "stock" is to upload a "zero" map to the PCV, in which case the PCV does not adjust the stock fuel injection timing and the bike runs like it was stock.

The PCV can have its adjustment map changed, usually with the use of a dyno, this is a good way to get a proper map for your exact bike.

Dynojet also makes a "auto tune" module for the PCV, which uses wide-band O2 sensors (replacing the stock narrow band sensors already on the bike) to collect air/fuel-rpm/throttle data (given an air/fuel/rpm/throttle target map), and it can then make adjustments on the fly (while you ride) and generates a suggested adjustment map for the PCV, which you can apply and ride again, with each ride the auto-tune refines the PCV adjustment map, in the end generating a good optimized map with out the need for expensive dyno sessions. 
    If you leave the auto-tune on the bike, it can make small fuel map trims on the fly to adjust for atmospheric changes during your particular ride.

I have made little progress in testing the VFR PCV on the VFR-x as I've been battling the fairing removal (its a different post all together)
    However, I am still confident that the units are compatible, and the only reason for the different part numbers is that they fit on different bikes, and come with a different stock map.

Tazmool

• Offline pistnbroke   england

• Crosstourer Master  ‐    1572

Offline pistnbroke

• Crosstourer Master
    • Bike: crosstourer
    • City / Town: Irby
    Reply #6 on: Jan 31, 2017, 11.25 pm
    Jan 31, 2017, 11.25 pm
    Excellent Tazmool, good work. :028:
    keep it shiny side up !!!

• Offline HoldMyBeer

• Crosstourer Pro  ‐    124

Offline HoldMyBeer

• Crosstourer Pro
    Reply #7 on: May 03, 2018, 09.11 am
    May 03, 2018, 09.11 am
    Hi Tazmool,
    Just scrolling through old topics about power commander and came across yours.
    Would you recommend buying PCV or better get bike dyno'ed?
    Cheers,
    Ged