Author Topic: So where does bike development go from here????  (Read 3765 times)

• Offline HEN99

• Crosstourer Pro  ‐    393
    • Topic Author

Offline HEN99

• Crosstourer Pro
    • Topic Author
    So where does bike development go from here????
    on: Dec 15, 2016, 12.18 pm
    Dec 15, 2016, 12.18 pm
    Well its been an interesting year for new bike designs . The Honda AT does seem to be a hit and Yamaha have done really well with their MT range . Meanwhile Triumph have gone all retro, So whats going to come along in 2017 and beyond . I see Ducati are bringing out a mid sized Multi-strada , makes you wonder if/when  BMW might do something to plug the gap in their GS range between the 800 and 1200 , but then KTM are bringing out an 790 twin!!! So perhaps 1000cc is not the ultimate engine size after all .
    One thing I do know , my 4 year old CT  should be getting some good trips next year and best of all , its all mine.......
     :305:

• Offline Yasko   england

• Crosstourer Master  ‐    1361

Offline Yasko

• Crosstourer Master
    • Bike: Africa Twin DCT
    • City / Town: Canterbury
    Re: So where does bike development go from here????
    Reply #1 on: Dec 15, 2016, 12.43 pm
    Dec 15, 2016, 12.43 pm
    The only addition I could add to that Hen is will anybody else attempt DCT transmission in the near future notwithstanding Yamaha's auto box. I will be enjoying my 4 year CT and all mine as well.
    Bill

• Offline mondeoman

• Crosstourer Pro  ‐    203

Offline mondeoman

• Crosstourer Pro
    • Bike: vfr1200X
    Reply #2 on: Dec 15, 2016, 03.32 pm
    Dec 15, 2016, 03.32 pm
    *Originally Posted by Yasko [+]
    The only addition I could add to that Hen is will anybody else attempt DCT transmission in the near future notwithstanding Yamaha's auto box. I will be enjoying my 4 year CT and all mine as well.

Yamaha do an auto ?  :435:  Which model's that then  ?

• Offline Yasko   england

• Crosstourer Master  ‐    1361

Offline Yasko

• Crosstourer Master
    • Bike: Africa Twin DCT
    • City / Town: Canterbury
    Reply #3 on: Dec 15, 2016, 05.46 pm
    Dec 15, 2016, 05.46 pm
    It was an FJR 1300 clutchless electric shift auto marketed I think around about 2007. There was also about that time an Aprilia bike/scooter with auto as well.
    Bill

• Offline Hartley   england

• Crosstourer God  ‐    3074

Offline Hartley

• Crosstourer God
    • Bike: Crosstourer
    • City / Town: Northampton
    Reply #4 on: Dec 15, 2016, 06.48 pm
    Dec 15, 2016, 06.48 pm
    I think manufacturers may start looking more seriously into fuel economy. Granted that it's not really something many of us even consider when buying a bike but the powers that be may well start to examine it more closely in the near future.

I also think electric bikes will become more common and therefore more affordable.

• Offline ukstu

• Crosstourer Pro  ‐    488

Offline ukstu

• Crosstourer Pro
    • City / Town: Warrington
    Reply #5 on: Dec 15, 2016, 07.00 pm
    Dec 15, 2016, 07.00 pm
    Is anybody making a hybrid bike? Pure electric is compromised because of limited range and charging facilities, for now anyway, but hybrid technology can offer economy and performance.

We've said it before, but you'd expect bikes to be significantly more economical than a car of similar power but with dramatically less weight to lug around.

• Offline Tazmool

• Crosstourer Pro  ‐    127

Offline Tazmool

• Crosstourer Pro
    • Bike: VFR1200X
    Reply #6 on: Dec 17, 2016, 02.38 am
    Dec 17, 2016, 02.38 am
    Interesting topic, and points.

Personally, and this is just an opinion, but a hybrid drivetrain may be too heavy for a motorcycle.  You are combining an ICE (internal combustion engine) with a battery pack, and an electric drive motor, keeping the complexity and components of both, removing only the transmission from the ICE. 

Having ridden a few pure electric motorcycles (Zero SR, and Zero FX) I think that is a promising technology and I thoroughly enjoyed both bikes (great handling, comfort, power.... 100mph on the SR was fun!).  Only reason I would not own one now is COST.  The Zero SR base price was $18k, and it would top $20k+ with a few options (like the extra range extender and quick charger options) If in time I can find a low priced, good used Zero SR, I think it would make a great fun 2nd bike.

But for $20k+ you might as well spend a bit more and get a Ducati Multistrada, an R1200GS, KTM SA etc etc... . there are many, much higher tech options in that price range.

Another trend that I've tried out is the Semi-Active suspension bikes, mainly the Multistrada 1200s, and the KTM Super Adventure.  Engines aside (both are amazing) the suspension was truly a revelation, both bikes could easily and on the fly morph their settings, they can be soft tourers that glide over pot holes and highway expansions like a GoldWing or tighten up and carve corners like a superbike (I rode them back to back with my modded Suzuki B-King and friends stock Honda F6B, all on the same day, same roads etc) The semi-active suspension can easily fulfil both (and other) roles easily. Another less easily describable advantage of the semi-active suspension is how they always seem to be in the perfect setting for you.  The static squat is set right, the bike does not fork dive during braking, or squat during acceleration.... the bike is very well composed and reacts to your riding, the road surface, its always "just right"

So my ultimate motorcycle would be an electric bike with semi active suspension, comfy, sporty, 1000km range on a charge, 200hp  :018:

Realistically, I think the trend will be to improve the semi active suspensions and engines on the top tier bikes
    And perhaps continue development of electric bikes, improving their power, range and very importantly, their price!  (I think its sad that a top spec bike costs as much as a car)

I'd love to see a "tesla model s" of motorcycles, with ludicrous mode, with out the ludicrous pricetag.

Tazmool

• Offline ukstu

• Crosstourer Pro  ‐    488

Offline ukstu

• Crosstourer Pro
    • City / Town: Warrington
    Reply #7 on: Dec 17, 2016, 09.11 am
    Dec 17, 2016, 09.11 am
     :460:

arab-exile