Author Topic: Crash Bars questions, which ones? any easily removable? necessary?  (Read 3623 times)

• Offline Tazmool

• Crosstourer Pro  ‐    127
    • Topic Author

Offline Tazmool

• Crosstourer Pro
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: VFR1200X
    Crash Bars questions, which ones? any easily removable? necessary?
    on: Dec 14, 2016, 02.09 am
    Dec 14, 2016, 02.09 am
    Howdy,

As the winter marches on, and I've succumbed to the winter farkle bug, I've been wondering about the crash bars availability for the Crosstourer, and whether or not they are actually worth it?  what sets them apart?

So first,
    Do the crash bars have to be removed in order to disassemble the fairing?  (to remove tha fuel tank, to get to the air filter for example? )
    If so, are there any crash bars that can be left on and still take the fairing apart?

How much crash bar coverage is necessary?
    I see the bars ranging from fairly minimalist R&G model, to ones that are fairly expansive like the Mmoto ones

What are the most minimalist crash bars available that will still do the job?

Now, what type of crashes do these crash bars help with?
    Just your average tip-over on a dirt road? or can they take a pavement slide?

I'm wondering about the negative side of having these steel bars mounted to your frame/engine mounts...
    I've seen bikes tip over onto frame sliders, at a stand still, and knock the frame/engine mount right off, effectively writing off the bike due to a frame & engine replacement necessary.

How much damage would the Cross tourer take if it were to tip over with no bars?
    I dream of a cross canada tour on my X, and would like to make it there and back with no problems...

I'd like to take my bike down a gravel or dirt road from time to time, so I'm wondering about protection (I've got a skid plate and hugger coming in) but I'll admit I don't care for the look of the crash bars on any bike...  unless its got horizontally opposed cylinders like my old Valkyrie, which from the factory had bars around the engine to protect it in the case of a tip over....  My old ST1300 had these ingenious tip-over wings built into the fairing and frame, so honda seems to be pretty good at protecting the bikes from this sort of thing from the factory...  The vfr1200x seems to not have any factory bars?   (I know they are available as an accessory, but at the risk of offending anyone {its not my intention to} but are'nt the bars more poseur rather than function? )  I could be wrong, I have been quite a few times before  :164:

Keeping an open mind...  :001:

Please share.

Tazmool

• Offline fastnlight

• Crosstourer Pro  ‐    168

Offline fastnlight

• Crosstourer Pro
    • Bike: 2016 DCT
    • City / Town: Gig Harbor, WA
    fastnlight
    Reply #1 on: Dec 14, 2016, 05.58 am
    Dec 14, 2016, 05.58 am
    I have the R&G adventure bars on my dct and while they don't perfectly protect the dct side of the bike, they do keep serious damage at bay while minimally affecting service access and appearance.  The service access to side panels sold me on the set.

Greg
    The Beaten Path is for Beaten People

• Offline Hartley   england

• Crosstourer God  ‐    3074

Offline Hartley

• Crosstourer God
    • Bike: Crosstourer
    • City / Town: Northampton
    Re: Crash Bars questions, which ones? any easily removable? necessary?
    Reply #2 on: Dec 14, 2016, 06.17 am
    Dec 14, 2016, 06.17 am
    I had Givi on my previous CT, you could get to the fairing fastners and and move the panels enough to lift the tank but there wasn't enough clearance to completely take the plastics off. That said, if I hadn't bought a Highlander this time I'd have gone for Givi again.

• Offline MotoGpNick

• Crosstourer Master  ‐    764

Offline MotoGpNick

• Crosstourer Master
    • Bike: VFR1200XSE White
    Reply #3 on: Dec 14, 2016, 08.24 am
    Dec 14, 2016, 08.24 am
    I have the R&G bars. Not only do they offer better engine protection buy allow easy removal of the side panels.
    Yam YDS7,Suzuki T350 Rebel,Kawasaki 350 S2, Suzuki GT550, Kawasaki H1B 500, Kawasaki H2 750, Kawasaki Z1 900, Suzuki RE5 (stolen) Matchless 350 Trials, Kawasaki GTR 1000, ZZR1100C3, ZZR1100D2, Honda 900 Bandit, Suzuki SV1000K5 SZ, Honda Blackbird x 2, Honda Varadero 1000 - Honda CT

• Offline capobob

• Crosstourer Pro  ‐    463

Offline capobob

• Crosstourer Pro
    • Bike: 2015 HighlanderT
    • City / Town: SE London/Kent
    Reply #4 on: Dec 14, 2016, 09.30 am
    Dec 14, 2016, 09.30 am
    " The vfr1200x seems to not have any factory bars?   (I know they are available as an accessory, but at the risk of offending anyone {its not my intention to} but are'nt the bars more poseur rather than function? )  I could be wrong, I have been quite a few times before  :164:"

Quite correct...they are described as an "Accessory bar"...I have them and whilst they are fairly solid...I don't think they'd protect too much...side panel removal is very difficult...not impossible but very risky.
    It all started with a 1959 Vespa 125 Super.......
    KMX125 KMX200 DRBIG 750 TDM800 R1100RS CAPONORD VARADERO.......

• Offline Hartley   england

• Crosstourer God  ‐    3074

Offline Hartley

• Crosstourer God
    • City / Town: Northampton
    Reply #5 on: Dec 14, 2016, 11.08 am
    Dec 14, 2016, 11.08 am
    I took the bars of my Highlander at the weekend, they're aluminium and weigh nothing. As far as protection goes, they wouldn't be up to much.

• Offline Yasko   england

• Crosstourer Master  ‐    1361

Offline Yasko

• Crosstourer Master
    • Bike: Africa Twin DCT
    • City / Town: Canterbury
    Reply #6 on: Dec 15, 2016, 12.50 pm
    Dec 15, 2016, 12.50 pm
     :0461: their cosmetic only I will rely hopefully on my panniers to break a static or very low speed fall without damaging the mountings not tested though but they did save a friend on his Varadero.
    Bill

• Offline owen

• Crosstourer Pro  ‐    116

Offline owen

• Crosstourer Pro
    • City / Town: wellington
    Reply #7 on: Dec 15, 2016, 11.05 pm
    Dec 15, 2016, 11.05 pm
    Having had Varadero's in the past (A very top heavy bike) I have over sixteen years dropped or lost it while moving it half a dozen times, Crash bars certainly help minimise panel damage. But one good pile up in Holland. The bike flipped several times and in that instance a write off, and I think they only helped or benefitted the Insurance company.

arab-exile