Author Topic: CT First Impression  (Read 5082 times)

• Offline VFRCTHRider

• Crosstourer Member  ‐    36
    • Topic Author

Offline VFRCTHRider

• Crosstourer Member
    • Topic Author
    CT First Impression
    on: Nov 11, 2016, 04.11 pm
    Nov 11, 2016, 04.11 pm
    The CT Highlander was delivered (as in out of the van, on to the drive and then into the garage) to me on Tuesday. Today was the first opportunity to ride it so having sprayed the underside with ACF50 I duly took off on a 30 mile circuit around the area.

For the last 4 years I have been riding around on an FJR and, until about 3 weeks ago, I had no intention of selling it. Great bike, stunning performance, nothing to complain about really apart from low speed (crawling) handling and, latterly, knee discomfort due to the relative low height of the bike. To be fair the discomfort doesn't really kick in until about an hour's riding and it's more my age perhaps than the bike. It was also 12 years old but you wouldn't think so looking at it.   I won't bore you with why I changed except to say I spent the last 3 weeks researching a number of suitable replacements (K1300GT, R1200GS, Triumph Explorer, Trophy, etc.) but knew nothing about the CT until I walked into Grantham Honda. Having checked out the spec of the Highlander and test rode one, the bike ticked all my boxes and the Honda package was the final deciding factor in going for it.

So today, after 30 miles or so at running in speeds, I have found nothing disappointing. Incidentally the owners handbook doesn't seem to stipulate any maximum revs over the initial mileage but just advises to avoid hard acceleration. So, just kept it smooth and below 4k to start with. The suspension and tyres were adjusted to the handbook settings as a starting point.

I don't need to tell anybody on here how great the bike is. The only issues are (and I see these have been raised elsewhere in the forum):

Suspension - the front seems a bit too hard for me so I will play around with it over the next few weeks. The FJR had very complaint suspension (which was often criticised as being too soft) but I found it perfect - even 2 up and luggage.

Fly by wire throttle - a bit too sensitive so every time I hit a rough bit of road (and there's a lot of it around these days) my hand moves causing the throttle to jerk open/close. It will teach me to relax my wrist/arm and hopefully with a softer suspension setting it will improve.

Brakes - initially seem very wooden but that could be down to being brand new and need to bed in a bit.

Everything else seems fine so far but it is brand new and I've only covered 30 miles. The only items I've added are front Fenda Extanda, Hugger, Radiator guard and blindspot mirrors. Come spring next year when some serious touring is planned, I shall fit a Givi rack and top plate so I can use my E52 top box and E41 side cases. I shall also fit a Bagster tank cover so I can use my existing tank bag.

Interestingly, the delivery chap said there are a lot of Crosstourers about. They've been around since 2012 and I don't recall seeing one, ever, but maybe because I didn't look close enough. Maybe its part of the bikes character. It doesn't shout out about what it is/can do but seems to be very good at everything most bikers (real world, not a weekend warrior for 3 times a year) want from a bike. It may not be the best looking bike, or the fastest, or most economical, the best handling or the cheapest but as a package it seems to do everything pretty well. I'm looking forward to some more miles.

• Offline Hartley   england

• Crosstourer God  ‐    3074

Offline Hartley

• Crosstourer God
    • Bike: Crosstourer
    • City / Town: Northampton
    Re: CT First Impression
    Reply #1 on: Nov 11, 2016, 04.20 pm
    Nov 11, 2016, 04.20 pm
    Very fair first opinions. I came to the CT from an FJR too, was a 2002 bike so similar vintage to yours i guess.
    The throttle is a lot lighter than the Yamahas but youll soon get used to that. Many find the forks to be harsh, myself included, fingers crossed youll find a setting that suits you.
    Ive done 20k on mine in 3 years only issues ive had were a throttle cable becoming detached and a rear shock which was replaced under warrenty, youll have the new type anyway and the shaft recall, again , youll be fine.

Just turn the key and enjoy  :305:

• Offline ukstu

• Crosstourer Pro  ‐    488

Offline ukstu

• Crosstourer Pro
    • Bike: Crosstourer
    • City / Town: Warrington
    Reply #2 on: Nov 11, 2016, 05.39 pm
    Nov 11, 2016, 05.39 pm
    Welcome along. The bike will grow on you the more you ride it. Front suspension is a common gripe, but can be set up to something like. They are low key and you won't see many around,, bit of exclusivity!

Cheers

Stu

• Offline JosepM

• Crosstourer Member  ‐    55

Offline JosepM

• Crosstourer Member
    • Bike: Crosstourer-DCT
    • City / Town: Tarragona
    Reply #3 on: Nov 11, 2016, 05.48 pm
    Nov 11, 2016, 05.48 pm
    Welcome to the CT world!
    If you are planning to do some touring on her, I'd recommend to refurnish the seat, because the original one feels like a wooden bench after a not so long while...
    Other additions such as higher screen, rear mudguard extender, crashbars, ... are to think about.  :018:

Greetings,

Josep

• Offline Stevensweert

• Crosstourer Master  ‐    641

Offline Stevensweert

• Crosstourer Master
    • Bike: VFR1200 X CT DCT
    • City / Town: Stevensweert
    Reply #4 on: Nov 11, 2016, 05.51 pm
    Nov 11, 2016, 05.51 pm
     :400: from The Netherlands
    Tony

• Offline slomogadgie   scotland

• Non Active
    • Crosstourer Master  ‐    1233

Offline slomogadgie

• Non Active
    • Crosstourer Master
    • Bike: Olde School CT
    • City / Town: Peternapper
    Reply #5 on: Nov 11, 2016, 06.25 pm
    Nov 11, 2016, 06.25 pm
    hello min
    What do you mean it's raining....get ootside and ride the thing.

• Offline pistnbroke   england

• Crosstourer Master  ‐    1572

Offline pistnbroke

• Crosstourer Master
    • Bike: crosstourer
    • City / Town: Irby
    Reply #6 on: Nov 11, 2016, 06.31 pm
    Nov 11, 2016, 06.31 pm
     :400: welcome aboeard and safe riding, enjoy the miles with the smiles.  :028:  :031:
    keep it shiny side up !!!

• Offline VFRCTHRider

• Crosstourer Member  ‐    36
    • Topic Author

Offline VFRCTHRider

• Crosstourer Member
    • Topic Author
    Reply #7 on: Nov 11, 2016, 11.49 pm
    Nov 11, 2016, 11.49 pm
    Many thanks for the welcome guys.

A rear mudguard extender?Missed that one when looking for "extras!" Where can I find one?

I may get an MRA screen but will see how I get on with the OE first.