Author Topic: wind noise turbulance  (Read 9273 times)

• Offline teapot

• Crosstourer Junior  ‐    6
    • Topic Author

Offline teapot

• Crosstourer Junior
    • Topic Author
    wind noise turbulance
    on: Nov 05, 2016, 09.48 pm
    Nov 05, 2016, 09.48 pm
    HI EVERYBODY, HOPE ALL IS WELL.
    IV'E BEEN RIDING BIKES FOR 42 YEARS AND BOUGHT A 2015 CROSSTOURER 8 WEEKS AGO. CRACKIN BIKE ALL BUT 1 MAJOR ISSUE. SO MUCH SO HAS LED TO A DOCTORS AND HOSPITAL APPOINTMENT.
    THE ISSUE BEING MAJOR WIND NOISE AROUND THE HELMET FROM THE STANDARD SCREEN WHICH IS FITTED. STANDING ON THE FOOT PEGS TOTALLY ILLUMINATES THIS NOISE SO I PRESUME ITS NOT THE SHOEI HELMET BUT SOME KIND OF TURBULENCE FROM THE BIKE. REMOVING THE SCREEN REDUCES THIS NOISE 80%. I HAVE BOUGHT A GENUINE HONDA TOURING SCREEN WHICH IS NOT MUCH BETTER THAN THE STANDARD. IV'E NOT HAD A CHANCE TO REMOVE THE MIRRORS YET NOR TRY A DIFFERENT HELMET WITH DIFFERENT SCREENS AND SETTINGS.

I AM CURRENTLY RIDING THE BIKE WITH NO SCREEN, SURELY NOT A RECOMMENDATION FROM HONDA.

IF ANYONE COULD PLEASE OFFER ANY ADVICE OR HAS UNCOUNTED A SIMILAR ISSUE, COULD THEY PLEASE GET IN TOUCH.

REGARDS TEAPOT

• Offline BRITINFRANCE   fr

• Crosstourer Master  ‐    540

Offline BRITINFRANCE

• Crosstourer Master
    • Bike: 2016 Crosstourer
    • City / Town: SAINT MAXIME
    Re: wind noise turbulance
    Reply #1 on: Nov 05, 2016, 10.08 pm
    Nov 05, 2016, 10.08 pm
     :400: Teapot,  :821: Well your not the first nor the last to experience the wind turbulance, I had it but thanks to this forum I have eliminated the problem, Leadfarmer will post the link for a template so you to can make a very cheap deflector as i did ,, try placing a hand down by the fork head just in front of the tank at 60mph, you will notice the difference, so by making this small deflector you will as I eliminate most of the problem Good Luck and enjoy the BOMB,

Here are photos of the one I made

Lambretta125 (1950's) Honda SS125, BSA650 Road Rocket, Husquvana390 motocross, Honda CR480 motocross, Honda NC700X, Honda VFR1200X,

• Offline ukstu

• Crosstourer Pro  ‐    488

Offline ukstu

• Crosstourer Pro
    • Bike: Crosstourer
    • City / Town: Warrington
    Reply #2 on: Nov 05, 2016, 10.36 pm
    Nov 05, 2016, 10.36 pm
    Welcome Teapot.

As others will tell you, most people have a problem until they find a solution that works for them. Unfortunately, there isn't a one size fits all solution, but I believe that most find a satisfactory answer by trial and error. The recommended deflector per the previous post) seems good for most people (I haven't tried it myself), but the solution for me was a Givi Airflow screen, completely removed the problem. They aren't terribly expensive from new, but come up second hand frequently on here at a decent price (saw one advertised earlier today). The Honda touring screen was useless for me (same problem as you, serious buffeting).

Keep trying with the cheapest options first would be my recommendation.

Stu

• Offline TiuSo

• Crosstourer Pro  ‐    206

Offline TiuSo

• Crosstourer Pro
    • Bike: VFR1200XD
    • City / Town: Kangasala
    Reply #3 on: Nov 06, 2016, 05.07 am
    Nov 06, 2016, 05.07 am
    I am short (1.74), and for me the Honda touring screen is good as I have 4-6 mm washers under lower attaching point and 2-4 mm washers under the upper attaching point. Without them there are too much buffeting for me..

TiuSo

• Offline slomogadgie   scotland

• Non Active
    • Crosstourer Master  ‐    1233

Offline slomogadgie

• Non Active
    • Crosstourer Master
    • Bike: Olde School CT
    • City / Town: Peternapper
    Reply #4 on: Nov 06, 2016, 06.27 am
    Nov 06, 2016, 06.27 am
    Up until a couple of months ago I would have 'tough' live with it or get rid of the bike. I was very close to the latter. However, I bought a 2nd hand Givi Airflow and it has totally changed the whole CT riding experience for me. I had tried the OEM standard and touring screens as well as a powerbronze.....even no screen at all. Finally plumped for the OEM standard one and was just getting on with it.
    There's a second hand Givi on here so if I was you I'd go for it.
    Strangely enough a few things have had an effect on the buffeting.
    Having a pillion made it worse (The pillion also complained a lot about buffeting and wind going up the front of her helmet.....gone now with the Givi)
    Having luggage on, especially a large top box.
    Sitting in the vortex of the car/lorry/bike in front would make things a lot worse.
    Got a GT Air which helped a bit.
    Finally, the screen is just one issue that will raise its head (no pun) in the future. However, the engine for me anyway makes up for a lot of the sorta strange bad bit with the CT.
    Enjoy the CT experience :)
    What do you mean it's raining....get ootside and ride the thing.

• Offline Yasko   england

• Crosstourer Master  ‐    1361

Offline Yasko

• Crosstourer Master
    • Bike: Africa Twin DCT
    • City / Town: Canterbury
    Reply #5 on: Nov 06, 2016, 07.19 am
    Nov 06, 2016, 07.19 am
     :400: and safe riding  :305: Teapot. All good advice above.
    Bill

• Offline pete fairbairn

• Crosstourer Pro  ‐    424

Offline pete fairbairn

• Crosstourer Pro
    • Bike: crosstourer dct
    • City / Town: york
    Reply #6 on: Nov 06, 2016, 07.32 am
    Nov 06, 2016, 07.32 am
    Iam 5ft 8in short and use GIVI screen with Shoei Hornet ADV, ican ride most of time with visor up without turbulance.
    mafakin

• Offline Adam

• Crosstourer Pro  ‐    127

Offline Adam

• Crosstourer Pro
    • Bike: CT Highlander
    • City / Town: Odiham
    Reply #7 on: Nov 06, 2016, 09.14 am
    Nov 06, 2016, 09.14 am
    Strange that some people have this issue and others don't, I'm not sure that height of the rider is the main cause. I guess trial and error is the only way, a mate of mine is on his fourth screen and with lower handlebars, but still complains of noise and buffeting. Bizarre.
    Honda C50, MZ250TS, Greeves 250, BMW F800GS, Honda CT Highlander