Author Topic: Wheelies  (Read 4028 times)

• Offline Trnopr

• Crosstourer Member  ‐    46
    • Topic Author

Offline Trnopr

• Crosstourer Member
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: VFR1200XD
    • City / Town: London
    Wheelies
    on: Oct 26, 2016, 06.55 pm
    Oct 26, 2016, 06.55 pm
    My Crosstourer DCT has started doing power wheelies. Up until now the bike has never done wheelies - if you pin it you can sometimes feel the front end getting light but the front has never left the ground. Since yesterday the front has started lifting off the ground! I know the traction control is still working; on gravel the yellow light flashes on and everything stays controlled.
    The first wheelie happened as I was riding in a two-lane street which narrowed into one. A coach was on the outside and started to move into me so I manually knocked it down to second and opened the throttle - up came the wheel. It scared the life out of me. Further down the road i tried it again and pulled another power wheelie. Now I can lift the front on demand.
    The bike has a month to go on the Honda warranty so I'll run it to the dealership and ask them to have a look and see if anything needs fixing.
    Has anybody else had similar experiences with a DCT CT?

• Offline Yasko   england

• Crosstourer Master  ‐    1361

Offline Yasko

• Crosstourer Master
    • Bike: Africa Twin DCT
    • City / Town: Canterbury
    Re: Wheelies
    Reply #1 on: Oct 27, 2016, 06.42 am
    Oct 27, 2016, 06.42 am
    I recently posted this

For information, a fellow CT1200 DCT owner (28000miles 63 plate) has had for about a year or so clunking noise especially changing from 1st to third gear which had gradually got worse. Inspected by our dealers workshop and nothing found but a report was sent to Honda about 1 month ago. Honda sent an uprated software disc to the dealer, bike software reprogrammed, and the clunking has gone. Our dealer uprates the software on every CT which goes into the workshop anyway. My DCT at 11000 miles (13 plate) has not had this problem. Safe riding all.

This might work for you
    Bill

• Offline Trnopr

• Topic Author

Offline Trnopr

• Crosstourer Member
    • Topic Author
    Reply #2 on: Oct 27, 2016, 08.21 am
    Oct 27, 2016, 08.21 am
    Cheers Bill.
    My CT had its 16,000 mile service at Chiswick Honda a fortnight ago. To my mind the bike, although feeling great, felt different; it seemed to me that in "D" mode the bike was hanging on to gears longer - more like the bike in "S" mode. I kinda like it as it's similar to how I ride in manual mode.
    If there is a software update I wonder if they installed it? It would account for the different feel. If it allowed a bit of wheelie it would probably be a good thing but would have to be adjustable. Mine is the older model CT with traction control on or off, not adjustable.
    Anyway, I'll have a word with the dealership and see what they say.
    Thanks Bill

*Originally Posted by Yasko [+]
    I recently posted this

For information, a fellow CT1200 DCT owner (28000miles 63 plate) has had for about a year or so clunking noise especially changing from 1st to third gear which had gradually got worse. Inspected by our dealers workshop and nothing found but a report was sent to Honda about 1 month ago. Honda sent an uprated software disc to the dealer, bike software reprogrammed, and the clunking has gone. Our dealer uprates the software on every CT which goes into the workshop anyway. My DCT at 11000 miles (13 plate) has not had this problem. Safe riding all.

This might work for you

• Offline TiuSo

• Crosstourer Pro  ‐    206

Offline TiuSo

• Crosstourer Pro
    • City / Town: Kangasala
    Reply #3 on: Oct 27, 2016, 06.46 pm
    Oct 27, 2016, 06.46 pm
    I have also the older model (traction control on-off) DCT, and it is impossible the make wheelies when TC on. I drive TC off .. If TC is on and I try to pop a wheelie TC cuts the engine.

TiuSo

• Offline Trnopr

• Topic Author

Offline Trnopr

• Crosstourer Member
    • Topic Author
    Reply #4 on: Oct 27, 2016, 10.46 pm
    Oct 27, 2016, 10.46 pm
    *Originally Posted by TiuSo [+]
    I have also the older model (traction control on-off) DCT, and it is impossible the make wheelies when TC on. I drive TC off .. If TC is on and I try to pop a wheelie TC cuts the engine.

That's how my bike rode until this week. Something must be wrong with the traction control. I'll arrange for it to be checked under warranty before it runs out.

• Offline andyrob

• Crosstourer Master  ‐    694

Offline andyrob

• Crosstourer Master
    • Bike: VFRXDCT
    • City / Town: Beith, Ex-0141
    Reply #5 on: Oct 28, 2016, 12.00 pm
    Oct 28, 2016, 12.00 pm
    Had some sport with a BMW XR I happened upon the other day and my CT DCT was getting big whoppers over humps with the "mk1" TC on. Felt bloody marvellous. I hate the TC (with rider only) so that was something new and in its favour. Half hearted and I'm usually cracking the knackers on the back of the tank cos it cuts in so vicious. 

TC off, drop from 3rd to 2nd and thwack on the throttle is a fave for the occasional "moment of madness " which I discovered on my demo ride. (The fastest CT I have ridden ;) )

Not bad for a big girl and a half mong just hanging on.

• Offline ki_ote

• Crosstourer Member  ‐    20

Offline ki_ote

• Crosstourer Member
    Reply #6 on: Oct 28, 2016, 08.37 pm
    Oct 28, 2016, 08.37 pm
    *Originally Posted by andyrob [+]
    Had some sport with a BMW XR I happened upon the other day and my CT DCT was getting big whoppers over humps with the "mk1" TC on. Felt bloody marvellous. I hate the TC (with rider only) so that was something new and in its favour. Half hearted and I'm usually cracking the knackers on the back of the tank cos it cuts in so vicious. 

TC off, drop from 3rd to 2nd and thwack on the throttle is a fave for the occasional "moment of madness " which I discovered on my demo ride. (The fastest CT I have ridden ;) )

Not bad for a big girl and a half mong just hanging on.

Not exactly sure what all that meant, but I like it.  :028:

• Offline luckyluke

• Crosstourer Pro  ‐    167

Offline luckyluke

• Crosstourer Pro
    • City / Town: Bruges
    Reply #7 on: Nov 08, 2016, 10.12 am
    Nov 08, 2016, 10.12 am
    This is also a wheelie with a DCT, TC off

arab-exile