ktm rc8 racer

Views: 284
Posted by: Farway
in: Farway
Navi holder

Views: 3277
Posted by: Doc
in: Doc

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Transmission oil  (Read 9682 times)

Offline veeefour

• Approved Forum Vendor
  • Crosstourer Pro
  • Cruise Control Seller
  • Bike: VFR1200F
Re: Transmission oil
« Reply #48 on: June 27, 2018, 05:44:40 PM »
Good posting!
Prez
---
I sell Electronic Cruise Control systems for VFR1200 and VFR1200X.
If your are interested please visit my vendor section: http://www.crosstourer.com/index.php/board,31.0.html
Or email me directly: veeefour.ecc@gmail.com

Offline DEMBONES

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: 2016 VFR1200XD
« Reply #49 on: June 27, 2018, 06:03:38 PM »
I was curious, so I drove around and visited all three local dealers in my area (Pac NW of USA.)  Each one recommends this for the CT final drive:

While I am not inclined to purchase it since the viscosity rating is 80W/85W and they don't provide an API rating (GL-4 or 5?) it is interesting that all three dealers are saying the same thing.  They have other gear oils on the shelf but every one of them reached for this.   :187:

Offline wack

• Crosstourer Pro
  • It's not a hobby, it's in yer blood !
  • Bike: VFR1200X
  • City / Town: Ollerton
« Reply #50 on: June 28, 2018, 10:42:07 AM »
*Originally Posted by DEMBONES [+]
When someone tells you that their GL-5 oil covers GL-4, they are correct as far as EP protection, but that is only half the answer. When they say their sulfur/phosphorus additive will not corrode the yellow metals, they are also correct, but if there is enough protection to meet GL-5 requirements they will slowly peel away brass in the manual transmission.

A normal GL-4 gear oil with any given viscosity has about 1/2 the level of sulfur/phosphorus additive that would be in the similar GL-5 product, so the bond is not as strong, and therefore can be peeled off without also peeling a layer of brass. This basically means that the GL-4 product provides a little less extreme pressure protection.

When you use a GL-5 product in a transmission that requires GL-4, you will normally find 2 to 4 times as much copper in the used oil as you would with a GL-4 product Eventually the synchronizers wear to the point that they no longer make contact with the other half of the cone, bottoming out before stopping the opposing gear.

Stick with GL-4 in the CT!

Very informative DEMBONES, thanks for that.  :460:

Wack

Offline colinmc1

• Crosstourer Member
  • Bike: VFR1200 X DCT
  • City / Town: Fairfield park
« Reply #51 on: August 16, 2018, 02:43:54 PM »
I am finding it difficult to find SAE 80W oil for my final drive. I called my local Honda dealer and they want to sell me 80W90 after speaking to their "senior" technician.
he said that this is what they use and recommended it.
I am now totally confused. all over this forum I read that this is NOT a good option. should stick to 80W
obviously if you take the bike in to Honda for a service  this is what they are putting in it.
what should I do?

Offline DEMBONES

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: 2016 VFR1200XD
« Reply #52 on: August 16, 2018, 02:55:37 PM »
*Originally Posted by colinmc1 [+]
I am finding it difficult to find SAE 80W oil for my final drive. I called my local Honda dealer and they want to sell me 80W90 after speaking to their "senior" technician.
he said that this is what they use and recommended it.
I am now totally confused. all over this forum I read that this is NOT a good option. should stick to 80W
obviously if you take the bike in to Honda for a service  this is what they are putting in it.
what should I do?

Find good 80W online and buy it. Then change it yourself in your garage. It's an easy process.

I recommend Liqui Moly brand.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.de%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F261552810817