Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Transmission oil  (Read 12132 times)

Offline veeefour

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Cruise Control Seller
  • Bike: VFR1200F
Re: Transmission oil
« Reply #48 on: June 27, 2018, 05:44:40 PM »
Good posting!
Prez
---
I sell Electronic Cruise Control systems for VFR1200 and VFR1200X.

https://www.v-performance.pl/en/cruise-control

Offline DEMBONES

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: 2016 VFR1200XD
  • City / Town: PacNW
« Reply #49 on: June 27, 2018, 06:03:38 PM »
I was curious, so I drove around and visited all three local dealers in my area (Pac NW of USA.)  Each one recommends this for the CT final drive:

While I am not inclined to purchase it since the viscosity rating is 80W/85W and they don't provide an API rating (GL-4 or 5?) it is interesting that all three dealers are saying the same thing.  They have other gear oils on the shelf but every one of them reached for this.   :187:

Online wack

• Crosstourer Pro
  • It's not a hobby, it's in yer blood !
  • Bike: VFR1200X
  • City / Town: Ollerton
« Reply #50 on: June 28, 2018, 10:42:07 AM »
*Originally Posted by DEMBONES [+]
When someone tells you that their GL-5 oil covers GL-4, they are correct as far as EP protection, but that is only half the answer. When they say their sulfur/phosphorus additive will not corrode the yellow metals, they are also correct, but if there is enough protection to meet GL-5 requirements they will slowly peel away brass in the manual transmission.

A normal GL-4 gear oil with any given viscosity has about 1/2 the level of sulfur/phosphorus additive that would be in the similar GL-5 product, so the bond is not as strong, and therefore can be peeled off without also peeling a layer of brass. This basically means that the GL-4 product provides a little less extreme pressure protection.

When you use a GL-5 product in a transmission that requires GL-4, you will normally find 2 to 4 times as much copper in the used oil as you would with a GL-4 product Eventually the synchronizers wear to the point that they no longer make contact with the other half of the cone, bottoming out before stopping the opposing gear.

Stick with GL-4 in the CT!

Very informative DEMBONES, thanks for that.  :460:

Wack

Offline colinmc1

• Crosstourer Member
  • Bike: VFR1200 X DCT
  • City / Town: Fairfield park
« Reply #51 on: August 16, 2018, 02:43:54 PM »
I am finding it difficult to find SAE 80W oil for my final drive. I called my local Honda dealer and they want to sell me 80W90 after speaking to their "senior" technician.
he said that this is what they use and recommended it.
I am now totally confused. all over this forum I read that this is NOT a good option. should stick to 80W
obviously if you take the bike in to Honda for a service  this is what they are putting in it.
what should I do?

Offline DEMBONES

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: 2016 VFR1200XD
  • City / Town: PacNW
« Reply #52 on: August 16, 2018, 02:55:37 PM »
*Originally Posted by colinmc1 [+]
I am finding it difficult to find SAE 80W oil for my final drive. I called my local Honda dealer and they want to sell me 80W90 after speaking to their "senior" technician.
he said that this is what they use and recommended it.
I am now totally confused. all over this forum I read that this is NOT a good option. should stick to 80W
obviously if you take the bike in to Honda for a service  this is what they are putting in it.
what should I do?

Find good 80W online and buy it. Then change it yourself in your garage. It's an easy process.

I recommend Liqui Moly brand.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.de%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F261552810817

Offline Rushy

• Crosstourer Member
  • Bike: DCT H'landerCamo
  • City / Town: Cheshire
« Reply #53 on: March 25, 2019, 08:16:53 PM »
Enjoyed reading this ,  there is nothing like quite an lil thread on a bike forum.

Veeffour is right that Heavy Gear  80/90 is used in a lot of final drive but it’s viscosity at 100 deg C is much higher than SAE80 gear oil which is often known as medium Gear Oil .

Just to throw fuel on the fire I like to treat my bike so I’ve been using Putoline RS75 75/80W 100% Fully Synthetic Racing Gear Oil which is GL4 compliant and has a Viscosity of 7.3 at 100 deg C . Why ? .......because she’s worth it  :001:

Online Juggler

• Crosstourer Member
  • Bike: VFR1200XD
  • City / Town: Moscow
« Reply #54 on: March 26, 2019, 06:46:39 AM »
Most Mitsubishi dealers have SAE80 GL-4/5 Hypoid gear oil in stock. 1 quart or 1 Litre depends on country.
Works just fine in Honda  :008:

« Last Edit: March 26, 2019, 06:50:53 AM by Juggler »

Offline VfuRry

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: VFR1200XDH
  • City / Town: Northampton
« Reply #55 on: March 26, 2019, 02:59:32 PM »
The Honda owner's and service manuals refer to "Recommended final drive oil" as "Hypoid gear oil SAE 80", to be changed every 3 years, with no mileage stated.  No mention is made of whether GL4 or GL5.

The Liqui-moli website has separate categories for (differentiates between) "Hypoid gear oil" and "Gear oil".

Their "Hypoid gear oil" is only available as GL5, as SAE 80W or SAE nnW-nn (various numbers).

Their "gear oil" is only available as GL4, either as SAE 80W or SAE 85W-90.

So, it's very difficult for me to conclude what really should (and should not) be used, or what the meaningful differences (i.e. those to be avoided) are.  It seems to me that anything other than what the Honda manuals explicitly say is opinion, no more.

But there does seem to be a case for "SAE 80" (or "80W"?) rather than "SAE 80W-nn", if only because it is possible to buy oil without any "-nn" specified and because Honda do not specify the "-nn".

I don't know whether there's anything in the assertion that GL5 is somehow too "aggressive" (my word) for the particular gears in the CT; I have no way to know, but it might be precautionary to go for GL4.

I also don't know what the difference (if any) between "Hypoid gear oil" and "gear oil" might be, but the implication is that Liqui-moli believe there's a difference. Can anyone help with that question?
« Last Edit: March 26, 2019, 03:34:26 PM by VfuRry »