Author Topic: Front brake leave sometimes rock hard??  (Read 12409 times)

Offline Showkey

• Crosstourer Pro
Re: Front brake leave sometimes rock hard??
Reply #48 on: July 09, 2020, 10:59:52 PM
*Originally Posted by Fredz [+]
It's most likely the ABS unit, as you would have read.  Honda should provide a replacement if/when the dealer reports it as it's a MAJOR safety issue.  You should also report it to your federal road/vehicle safety authority for the same reason.

I would disagree........plugged port in the master cylinder is the most likely........caused by delayed or skipped maintenance.

But the clog, plug or restriction can also happen further down stream.  That’s the reason for brake fluid change.

Offline AussieKiwi

• Crosstourer Member
  • Bike: Crosstourer
Reply #49 on: July 13, 2020, 08:07:48 PM
*Originally Posted by SamSpade [+]
Wow, not sure if anyone is still following this thread but this is certainly interesting! I,m in Canada and have a 2016 manual, just under 13000 kms. Front brake lever started doing this just recently, go to apply front brake and the lever is rock hard, pull a little harder and it lets go jamming the front brake on. I recently had it completely jam, previously a little more pressure would make it let go and apply front brake (more than I wanted). This particular time squeezing as hard as possible did nothing. I have found if you immediately release the front brake lever and reapply it works fine, But you don't always have time to do that! I

Exact same issue mine had. It is the ABS unit. Mine was fixed by Honda under warranty, even though bike was out of WTY.
2012 VFR1200X Cross Tourer
2016 CRF1000 Africa Twin
2008 ABS XL1000V Varadero
1997 XRV 750 Africa Twin

Offline oldjapbikes

• Crosstourer Junior
  • Bike: 2016 VVR1200X CT
  • City / Town: Georgia
Reply #50 on: August 03, 2020, 09:15:30 PM
Just bought my 2016 leftover off the floor and this happen yo me after a month of ownership, I had the service manger drain and flsuh the brake fluid front and rear and the problem has gone away so far. Left skid marks in my shorts the forst time it did it!!!

Offline Simsy

• Crosstourer Junior
  • Bike: VFR1200X
  • City / Town: Mundubbera
Reply #51 on: August 06, 2020, 10:35:00 AM
Mines a 2014 model and it did the same thing, front lever would be rock hard and no brakes, didn't happen all the time but scary when it did, so i sat on the bike without it running and continued pulling and releasing the lever firmly for about 10 minutes, on occasion you could feel it grab and when it did i squeezed the crap out of it, don't know what it was but it fixed it, never had a problem since.

arab-exile