Author Topic: CT owners  (Read 5914 times)

Offline pete fairbairn

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: crosstourer dct
  • City / Town: york
CT owners
on: December 05, 2015, 05:11:22 PM
Is it me or is there quite a number of people bailing out of CTS at moment,i thought about it but i still think with a decent rear shock and brakes uprated she will do another couple of years.Do you think its the release of AF TWIN or what because i think AF is a little to light weight for full 2 up full luggage touring.
mafakin

Offline the mechanic

• Ex Member
  • Crosstourer Pro
Re: CT owners
Reply #1 on: December 05, 2015, 05:18:42 PM
What makes you ask Pete? I hadn't noticed (maybe I am half asleep though).

Offline Hartley

• Crosstourer God
  • Bike: Crosstourer
  • City / Town: Northampton
Reply #2 on: December 05, 2015, 05:58:15 PM
Fair few have moved onto other bikes, but then we have a fair few who've recently bought CTs. Id say there maybe more of the latter.

Paul

Offline Piggyp

• Crosstourer Junior
Reply #3 on: December 05, 2015, 08:10:47 PM
I've just moved to a CT from a Vfr1200F and it's the best move I've made!

Offline Saxon747

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: Highlander DCT
  • City / Town: Lincoln
Reply #4 on: December 05, 2015, 09:54:25 PM
*Originally Posted by Hartley [+]
Fair few have moved onto other bikes, but then we have a fair few who've recently bought CTs. Id say there maybe more of the latter.

Paul

As Paul knows,I was close to changing brands recently, but today I signed up for my 2nd DCT. A good deal on a new 2015 Highlander, which will be with me before xmas   :046: .  The CT might lack in some electronic tech, but makes up in build quality. I said when I bought my black special in 2013, that I couldn't image a long term bike without the DCT system which no other manufacturer comes close to.

Offline SunAndSea

• Ex Member
  • Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: KTM 1290 SA
  • City / Town: St Julians
Reply #5 on: December 05, 2015, 10:41:38 PM
*Originally Posted by Saxon747 [+]
The CT might lack in some electronic tech, but makes up in build quality.
such as chocolate drive shafts? On of the reasons I moved from a CT to a KTM 1290 as my drive shaft was making some very strange sounds on part throttle. I think many have moved on because the competition offer a much more comprehensive package for a similar or lower price, such as cruise control (which many CT owners want), electronic/semi active suspension (which again many CT owners want), heated seats, cornering ABS, Brembo radial brakes etc, all factory standard. Had my 1290 SA for nearly 6 months and it's been fabulous, not to mention the top notch build quality and much less weight plus much more low down torque. I miss the DCT but that's a minor omission when you get so much more that is factory fitted.

Offline the mechanic

• Ex Member
  • Crosstourer Pro
Reply #6 on: December 06, 2015, 04:57:15 AM
Hmm, 6 months has soon gone since you got your 1290. How many miles you done now? You do quote a lot of factory fitted bits and bobs, but for me, cruise control, Nah. Electronic suspension, still nah. Barring ABS, most of the other stuff is "nice to have", but not a must. I have 5 bikes these days, none of which have needed the suspension altering since I set them up, so a lot of the stuff you mention, I have managed without for years, so they don't interest me one jot. With the exception of my explorer had a heated seat, I must admit I have missed that a bit (must be an age thing). But if I remember correctly you bought your 1290 in Germany? The prices there and the UK are vastly different, so its not really a level playing field. In the UK the 1290 is £16k + more for any luggage etc., and no dealers wants (or has) to do a deal on that, I know this for sure, as my mate has just bought one (must admit, nice bike), also in the UK, unless you are extremely lucky, you have a 100 mile either way trip to a dealer for a service, whereas with most of the Jap bikes, a dealer is just around the corner. My CT has done over 10,000 miles now, bought in May this year, the only thing it has had is a fuel map reload, as on trailing throttle, the drive-shaft was making a clacking noise (which may be what you were experiencing). Since the re-load of the map, no noise. But the finish is what you expect from Honda, more importantly, nothing has gone wrong.

Offline Hartley

• Crosstourer God
  • Bike: Crosstourer
  • City / Town: Northampton
Reply #7 on: December 06, 2015, 06:40:44 AM
Granted, the CT, it would appear, may have a driveshaft issue. That said i still believe the build quality is pretty good on the Honda. I've done 15000 miles on mine, had a heated grip switch play up and the throttle cable issue which if I'm honest I think may have been a finger trouble
Issue at service.
I do agree that the CT has been left behind on the tech in some areas, however it's also light years ahead with the DCT. I don't own a DCT but I'd say those who do are pretty much unanimous in praise for it.
The KTM is obviously a good bike with a higher spec than the Honda, but them again it's nearly 4 grand more than the manual CT, just under 3 more than the DCT in the UK so the comparisons may not be as straight forward as you suggest.  The Explorer indeed undercuts the CT on price and has an impressive spec but has quite a reputation for for niggling faults. 
It's difficult to do a straight comparison across all the bikes in the category. Different owners have different priorities, to some having all the bells  and whistles is top of the list, to others its reliability or brand,  others it's the bottom line. You can buy a Versys 1000 for 11k ready to take you on holiday with luggage and  everything you need or pay 5, 6, 7k more for one of the more exotic options.