Author Topic: Possible 2016 purchase  (Read 4216 times)

Offline ph80

• Crosstourer Junior
Possible 2016 purchase
on: December 01, 2015, 09:27:56 AM
Hello everyone!
Having had an RD07 Africa Twin in the past I wanted something a bit more tourer friendly for me and the girlfriend to hit Europe on.
We've just got back from the NEC show and love the new Africa Twin ,but are more tempted by the Tourer to be honest. Question is, do we go DCT or manual????
I do like the idea of the DCT but I guess just a little scared of diving in to new tech and regretting it later on perhaps? Anyone have experience with the DCT then please get in touch and tell what your thoughts are....

Offline Rex

• Crosstourer Pro
Re: Possible 2016 purchase
Reply #1 on: December 01, 2015, 11:15:29 AM
Mate, don't be afraid of the new technologies. DCT isn't just good - IT'S F-ING AWESOME! It works very fast and silky smooth at the same time. And it's extremely comfortable to use. And it's also seems to be absolutely reliable.

Offline ph80

• Crosstourer Junior
Reply #2 on: December 01, 2015, 11:22:07 AM
Cheers Rex, it did feel a little weird not having any levers to operate on the left hand side but I guess that's how technology moves on.... It definitely sounds awesome on YouTube videos too! And the other bonus is not getting head butted by the Mrs on the back if you mess up a manual gear change!

Offline x11

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: Highlander dct
  • City / Town: Lincolnshire
Reply #3 on: December 01, 2015, 11:26:07 AM
Hello and welcome, here's my two pennyworth on the DCT, I have been riding for nearly fifty years and love this gearbox, in fact it's a bit of a pain to get back on my other bike with a normal change. It was easy to ride straight away but found it took a few rides to try out the different modes in different conditions. I don't tend to use it in manual but my older son took it for a quick test ride and thought in manual it gave him the best gear changes he had ever had on a bike, I really cannot find any disadvantage with this system, my youngest son took a manual crosstourer for a test ride and really liked the bike, but after reading a few test reports we both bought the 2014 dct models and have been more than happy with them, in fact I cant see me ever buying a bike with a manual box again. This is just my opinion, lots of people say they don't like the dct, but I find most them have not ridden one so really they only think they don't like it. Don't buy a manual until you have tried a dct then make up your own mind, my bet is you will love it

Offline ph80

• Crosstourer Junior
Reply #4 on: December 01, 2015, 11:31:57 AM
Thank you. Great replies so far!  :152:
Also, what are your thoughts on the luggage and the standard tall screen?
I'm looking into the Highlander edition and being 6ft 2 I need all the protection I can get from my giraffe like features!  :008:

Offline Rex

• Crosstourer Pro
Reply #5 on: December 01, 2015, 11:46:58 AM
*Originally Posted by ph80 [+]
Cheers Rex, it did feel a little weird not having any levers to operate on the left hand side
It only feels wierd for like 30-40 kms, then you totally getting used to it. And after ~ 100 kms on the DCT you would never want to ride manuals again. At least that's what I felt.

And the other bonus is not getting head butted by the Mrs on the back if you mess up a manual gear change!
I've heard a beautiful term from my female friend rider to describe a pillion who head butts a rider: a woodpecker =))

Offline Fishbone

• Crosstourer Junior
  • Bike: Crosstourer 2013
  • City / Town: Adelaide
Reply #6 on: December 01, 2015, 11:58:53 AM
I find the tall screen great for touring. Have adjusted it to max height - air flows over helmet, no buffeting around head area.
Honda top box works well for me together with Oxford saddlebags. Honda OE panniers are too expensive!

Offline ph80

• Crosstourer Junior
Reply #7 on: December 01, 2015, 12:04:45 PM

Honda top box works well for me together with Oxford saddlebags. Honda OE panniers are too expensive!
[/quote]
So would you recommend getting a different make of luggage? Can the top box hold 2 helmets or just 1?, I heard they were expandable too, is that right?

arab-exile