Author Topic: New Member  (Read 1581 times)

Offline Critters

• Crosstourer Junior
  • Bike: ST1300
  • City / Town: Perth UK
on: November 15, 2015, 02:34:40 PM
Hi, my name is Brian and I have been into bikes since I was 17 and have ridden quite a varied spectrum of bikes from sports bikes to now a sensible selection of bikes but have always been a Honda fan.

My previous bikes have been mostly touring bikes, K1100LT, ST1100, FJR1300,GTR1400 and I sold it to my currently owned ST1300 which I have had since new and it has been a very reliable machine to me, all serviced up to date and due to having a pet mechanic on tap,so if it needs it, it gets it.

I have travelled to Europe every year at some point for the past 20 years and can probably say been there got the T shirt.

I am now semi retired but fancy a 1200X not to replace but in addition to my ST. I have been looking at the adventure style bikes but not for taking off road but for a possible tour of Norway/Sweden/Finland and around the Baltic sea where the chance of riding unpaved roads is a serious possibility and where it just might not be suitable for my ST.(and I don"t want the throw it down the road.)

I have looked at the competition and don't want to jump on the bandwagon that others have done after a posh git and his pal rode around the world.

I am looking to get something up to 2ish years old but instead of asking a dealer the questions who will always say what I want to hear I want to get honest answers to my questions from folks that have used these bikes in anger.

So that pretty much sums me up, I can make the time now to make my trips longer abroad and I am looking for a bike that can hack it.

I will lurk around and if I can't find the answers to my questions I will post up.

Offline Dave56

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: Highlander
  • City / Town: Grantham
Re: New Member
Reply #1 on: November 15, 2015, 04:37:24 PM
 :400: aboard Brian, we're a friendly bunch so post away mate.
"The more the miles, the bigger the smiles"

Offline Hartley

• Crosstourer God
  • Bike: Crosstourer
  • City / Town: Northampton
Reply #2 on: November 15, 2015, 05:54:39 PM
 :400: aboard

Offline Stevensweert

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: VFR1200 X CT DCT
  • City / Town: Stevensweert
Reply #3 on: November 15, 2015, 08:10:51 PM
 :400: from The Netherlands. I also owned a BMW K 1100 LT, a disaster! And after that a ST 1300: perfect bike but I like the VFR 1200 X DCT more.
Tony

Offline Critters

• Crosstourer Junior
Reply #4 on: November 15, 2015, 08:58:51 PM
*Originally Posted by Stevensweert [+]
:400: from The Netherlands. I also owned a BMW K 1100 LT, a disaster! And after that a ST 1300: perfect bike but I like the VFR 1200 X DCT more.

My K1100 was an electrical disaster, it was a shame I did not get collector points for the amount of miles it spent on a recovery truck, and the reason I sold it and a reason I will never ride a BMW again.  :028:

Offline Big Bob

• Crosstourer Pro
  • City / Town: Perth
Reply #5 on: November 18, 2015, 01:09:39 PM
Just out of curiosity what made you swap the GTR for the ST

Offline Critters

• Crosstourer Junior
Reply #6 on: November 18, 2015, 02:28:02 PM
*Originally Posted by Big Bob [+]
Just out of curiosity what made you swap the GTR for the ST

Whilst it was a great bike the GTR inline 4 did nothing for me, I did not find the engine smooth at higher speeds, on the autobhans in Germany I could accelerate up to higher speeds easily enough, but the engine roar was unbearable.

The ST13 is smoother/quieter and acceleration is superb, even two up. I know the ST has not got the technology of the newer bikes but it does exactly what I need from a tourer, it is 4 years old and I have done nearly 50k miles without issue.

Offline GADGET

• Crosstourer Master
Reply #7 on: November 18, 2015, 03:41:25 PM
 :400: Brian, ask away :031:

arab-exile