Author Topic: Type of roads you like  (Read 5218 times)

Offline slomogadgie

• Non Active
  • Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: Olde School CT
  • City / Town: Peternapper
Type of roads you like
on: November 10, 2015, 01:43:48 AM
Hello folks,

I was just wondering what type of road different people like.

On this and other forums I see people saying this road was great or that road was brilliant, so just wondering.

I like roads that I can see quite a bit ahead, and get a decent speed up. I Scotland a couple spring to mind. The one along Loch Laggan for example. Or the road(s) up round Ullapool. These are roads that I feel bike are made for. Corners speeds that are interesting if you know what I mean.

Some roads I hear are great such as the road to Applecross I'm not so keen on. Yes it's one for the 'tick list', but other than the views on a nice day, it's basically a pain in the butt to ride due to too traffic etc.

I often see people post about the road in Europe. These roads look wonderful, the scenery is beautiful, but there again there's traffic and hairpins bends abound. If I want to drive round at 20-30 mph, I could do that in town, or off road on a bike that doesn't weigh 270kgs

I presume no one will put motorways on the list of favourite roads..........surely not!
Last Edit: November 10, 2015, 01:45:40 AM by slomogadgie
What do you mean it's raining....get ootside and ride the thing.

Offline GADGET

• Crosstourer Master
Re: Type of roads you like
Reply #1 on: November 10, 2015, 05:35:29 AM
Roads without traffic, preferably hilly/twisty and with a view, not so concerned about speed. :002:

Offline andyrob

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: VFRXDCT
  • City / Town: Beith, Ex-0141
Reply #2 on: November 10, 2015, 08:52:28 AM
Sorry SloM, :001:

The m/way east or west from Santander/Bilbao! (A-8)

Or the m/way (A-67) south out of Santander through the mountains!

An absolute joy on a bike. Empty compared to this country with mahoosive fast sweepers one after another, up, down , round and round for miles and miles.

Back to this country and I say pick your times. Mid-week evening and nobody is about. Had a clear run down the lochside (Loch Lomond) from Tyndrum a few weeks back with a bud, bloody brilliant. Fried my tyres and my noggin. The big beast giving good account of herself everywhere. :305:.....ah, memories....March is along way away. :003:

Offline Rushy

• Crosstourer Member
  • Bike: DCT H'landerCamo
  • City / Town: Cheshire
Reply #3 on: November 10, 2015, 11:33:09 PM
 Motorways ? Au contraire mon amie!

When travelling North to Scotland I really love the bit of the M6 as it twists its way over Shap , brilliant on a bike at around 100 mph as you blast past everyone, great views too. Quite a fan of the M6 toll  also , especially as I pay less than the cars :)
Last Edit: November 10, 2015, 11:37:01 PM by Rushy

Offline slomogadgie

• Non Active
  • Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: Olde School CT
  • City / Town: Peternapper
Reply #4 on: November 11, 2015, 01:45:44 AM
Ah all good points. I suppose some motorways, given the right time of day can be pretty good. Maybe for me at least, the problem with motorways is that they are pretty boring in NE Scotland. I need to use them to get from Aberdeen down South, but they are torture. I think there is a bend near Stonehaven that gets interesting at around 110-120, but for the most part the speeds need to be very high to get the same thrill. Plus scenery is rubbish TBH. I know the roads that you are on about near the Green Wellie etc. Cracking roads right enough.
What do you mean it's raining....get ootside and ride the thing.

Offline Fat Bert

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: 13 CT DCT Black
  • City / Town: Tenby
Reply #5 on: November 11, 2015, 10:37:46 AM
M25 is a favourite of mine

I can spend hours filtering through  risking life and limb against the white van man ad naseum

And the tarmac looks so interesting when you're stationary for so long!

Seriously though ..........

http://www.bestbikingroads.com/ is great for planning tours - UK or overseas

"Team Fat Bert" Racing

Offline Hartley

• Crosstourer God
  • Bike: Crosstourer
  • City / Town: Northampton
Reply #6 on: November 11, 2015, 12:08:27 PM
Fort William to Mallaig, probably one of my UK favourites.

I have one of these. I've used it for years and it's even led me to try roads very close to home that I never knew about. Recommend roads are highlighted and of course you've also got a handy little waterproof map under the seat.

http://www.thebestrides.co.uk

Paul
Last Edit: November 11, 2015, 12:16:12 PM by Hartley

Offline HEN99

• Crosstourer Pro
Reply #7 on: November 11, 2015, 12:25:12 PM
Interesting post - but of course depends more on what sort of journey you are making - if I want to visit my daughter on the south coast - its a 400 mile round trip - so its motorways or nothing  :003: However if its a planned tour - then if the sun is shining - you want empty `A` roads  :008: :008: :008: ???  60-70 cruise and life is good :047: I think with the right screen - the CT will cruise at 60-70 and it is a fantastic place to be - I`m afraid enjoyment of the roads   will always depend on the traffic and in England on a Sunday in the Summer - quiet `A` are as rare as ` ..... . So as people have said its Scotland or the continent !! :305: