Author Topic: Best touring windscreen  (Read 9121 times)

Offline Capt.Caveman

• Crosstourer Member
  • Bike: Crosstourer DCT
  • City / Town: Huddersfield
Best touring windscreen
on: October 24, 2015, 08:00:52 PM
Currently I have the OEM tall windscreen fitted, but my shoulders and helmet get a fair bit of buffeting (partly because I'm 6'5" I guess).

I like the look of some of the aftermarket touring screens, Givi, Puig, Powerbronze and the rest, but which is best for touring ?

Offline Tonio50

• Crosstourer Pro
  • City / Town: Dublin
Re: Best touring windscreen
Reply #1 on: October 24, 2015, 08:55:41 PM
I don't know about the others but my bike came with the Puig. There was a fair bit of buffeting until I added the clip on spoiler. That made a huge difference and looks ok

Offline GADGET

• Crosstourer Master
Reply #2 on: October 25, 2015, 06:52:08 AM
Givi Airflow works for me :002:

Offline Paddy Field

• Crosstourer Member
Reply #3 on: October 25, 2015, 10:05:40 AM
The turbulence is coming round the sides, not over the top. Hold your hand out at those locations at cruising speed and see for yourself.
I'm thinking a pair of those clip on spoilers either side might be an answer, as long as they don't hit the bars on full lock.
- Lost interest -

Offline leadfarmer

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: R1200 GS LC
Reply #4 on: October 25, 2015, 11:41:42 AM
Hi

A lot of the turbulence is from air coming up between the tank and the forks, stick your hand there whilst riding and you'll feel the difference

Check out the post about the homemade deflector here

https://www.crosstourer.com/index.php/topic,2835.0.html

Template here
https://www.crosstourer.com/index.php/topic,2835.msg30079.html#msg30079

Doesn't work for everyone apparently but most who have made one find it makes a huge difference

Works great for me with the OEM touring screen
Last Edit: October 25, 2015, 11:45:35 AM by leadfarmer
Four wheels move the body, Two wheels move the soul ....

Offline the mechanic

• Ex Member
  • Crosstourer Pro
Reply #5 on: October 25, 2015, 12:04:37 PM
*Originally Posted by Paddy Field [+]
The turbulence is coming round the sides, not over the top. Hold your hand out at those locations at cruising speed and see for yourself.
I'm thinking a pair of those clip on spoilers either side might be an answer, as long as they don't hit the bars on full lock.

Yes, you are correct, for part of the problem. The gap between the bottom of the screen and the panel is so small, very little air comes through. This causes a low pressure area directly behind the screen and around the dashboard area. The deflector around the fork area works because it limits the amount of air sucked up into the low pressure area. Another way of sorting this is to put four 5mm spacers under the screen bolts to lift bottom of the screen away, thus letting air bleed through, you can also achieve this by taking the side brackets out and slotting one of the holes to allow the screen to tilt, the only snag with this method is, some sat nav brackets put the sat nav very close to the dashboard anyway, this limits the amount of tilt to play with. The spacer mod, I have done on three bikes of my own and lost count how many others I have done it on, all the owners report an improvement over stock.

These sites explain

http://thebaggerblog.com/a-review-of-the-madstad-adjustable-windshield-system/

http://www.clearviewshields.com/blog/clearview-shields-windshield-venting/

Offline Big Bob

• Crosstourer Pro
  • City / Town: Perth
Reply #6 on: October 25, 2015, 03:03:53 PM
Just be careful with screen. I destroyed my screen. I noticed that my bars just touched the screen at full lock. But I thought I could live with that. Of course first time I dropped the bike playing in the sand the bars went on full look and shattered the screen :(

Offline Capt.Caveman

• Crosstourer Member
  • Bike: Crosstourer DCT
  • City / Town: Huddersfield
Reply #7 on: October 25, 2015, 07:04:51 PM
Many Thanks for everyone's thoughts, and particularly for the simple fix for the fork-area up-draft. I'll give that a go before spending money on a new windscreen.

By the way, if you want a really well-engineered satnav bracket to fit behind the windscreen and above the dash, look at navihalter, a German product, I've fitted it, takes ten minutes, and it's so well made, even down to an X logo.