Author Topic: Where does the Africa Twin leave the CT?  (Read 5856 times)

Offline Hartley

• Crosstourer God
  • Bike: Crosstourer
  • City / Town: Northampton
Where does the Africa Twin leave the CT?
on: October 14, 2015, 10:58:25 PM
With several members of the forum considering changing from a CT to the Africa Twin i wonder whether two models will be treading on each other’s toes or maybe the CT could even be dropped. Regardless of how much any of us like the bike it’s pretty obvious that it has not been the sales success that Honda would have hoped for.

I recently read an interview with the head of Honda motorcycles UK where he admitted that the VFR1200 (the sports tourer) although a very good bike had failed to replace the Blackbird in the eyes of many potential customers and sales of the CT had also been disappointing. They obviously realise that to many, they’ve missed the mark on what are two of Hondas flagship bikes. He also talked of the Africa Twin which is obviously a massive bike for the brand and how it may affect the CT.

My personnel view is the CT is due and needs an upgrade/facelift. Nothing massive, just a few tweaks. Take one of its own stablemates, the VFR800 Crossrunner. Its recently been updated and now has LED lights, split height adjustable seat, radial brakes. (though I've no problem with the brakes on the CT).  Its spec is now superior to the CT which is supposed to be the range topper.  None of these would be difficult to add to the CT to bring it a bit more up to date also making it easier for current owners to justify changing. Just look at how many GS’s are bought by people chopping in a GS.

Im hoping that they do move the CT on a bit and there have been a few threads started on the subject of what most would like to see on the CT.
I find it odd that the company that brought the DCT gearbox to a bike, a very brave move, is so reluctant to adopt many of the features that are now expected on this class of bike and are present on the GS, Explorer, KTM and Super Tenere.

Regardless of my recent events, when all said and done, if spending my money again, I would be hard pushed not go for another CT, I do believe it to be a good bike but i can’t help the feeling that unless Honda up their game, the bike won’t sell and it'll be dropped.

We can talk all day long about the reliability and quality issues surrounding the GS but the fact is that this bike has been a phenomenal success. That didn’t stop Triumph building a good looking bike, giving it a really good spec and significantly denting the BMW’s sales. I see no reason why Honda, if they put their mind to it, couldn’t do the same.

Paul

Offline gazvfr1200x

• Crosstourer Member
  • City / Town: Northampton,Eng
Re: Where does the Africa Twin leave the CT?
Reply #1 on: October 14, 2015, 11:59:01 PM
I can't see the Africa twin troubling the ct,if I wanted only 94bhp I would have stayed with the tiger 800,plus I wanted shaft drive and a 4cyl engine,no matter how smooth parallel twins are they are vibey in some way,3's and 4's are not,so no competition in my opinion.

Offline leadfarmer

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: R1200 GS LC
Reply #2 on: October 15, 2015, 12:29:13 AM
Can't really see it as a long distance tourer with Wifey and baggage on it

Don't think you'd want to sit on the autobahn at the ton for long either

But for those who actually do worse than the gravel driveway to the BnB I can see why it could be interesting
Four wheels move the body, Two wheels move the soul ....

Offline Hartley

• Crosstourer God
  • Bike: Crosstourer
  • City / Town: Northampton
Reply #3 on: October 15, 2015, 07:26:29 AM
I completely agree that they are different bikes, I bought a CT because of the engine, shaft drive and the touring ability. I look on the CT as a tall, upright touring bike, exactly what I want, rather than something like a Pan or Trophy. The Africa Twin would not tick the boxes for me either. Despite that I do think it may still cost the CT , a slow selling bike anyway, some sales.

I just think they need to do something to get more people into the showrooms and onto the CT.

Paul

Offline capobob

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: 2015 HighlanderT
  • City / Town: SE London/Kent
Reply #4 on: October 15, 2015, 08:33:48 AM
I know it's a slightly different kettle of Fish...But the Varadero never lit any fires!...However it marched on and on in several  forms....we reap some of those technical changes in the CT.
Those of us that owned them (and the Blackbird guys) appreciated exactly what it was and what it was capable of....I feel the same about the CT now...Love it to bits...but it's no Glamour puss! and Honda haven't exactly marketed the bike in the same way that BMW do...(I often wonder how hard KTM's management team kick themselves after refusing to do LWR LWD and how many GS's were and still are sold off the back of that show)
Motor manufacturers.. despite some funky TV ads, don't really seem to market bikes very well...look at the big campaign for the new Civic Type R...when did you last see a decent bike ad on mainstream tv?
Perhaps the margins on bikes aren't as big...?

Most people have never heard of the CT....I see people in traffic looking at the bike...startled..its a shafty..but not a Beemer?
 :430: rambled on a bit....better get some work done!
It all started with a 1959 Vespa 125 Super.......
KMX125 KMX200 DRBIG 750 TDM800 R1100RS CAPONORD VARADERO.......

Offline Gas_Up_Lets_Go

• Crosstourer Pro
Reply #5 on: October 15, 2015, 08:58:33 AM
I agree with many of the sentiments voiced here, the 'dero was a superb bike although as ugly as sin it could (can ?) hold it's own through twisty roads against bike that should (on paper) leave it well beyond the view of the mirrors.

The CT, again it's far more capable than it is given credit for.  For example, I was having a refresher course with a Police Rider on a GTR1400 a few weeks ago, and he made a comment about me not using the gears enough to get the best out of the bike, then in the next breath he said "but christ it can't half pull away without gear changes" he also said "the sound is the best I've followed".  I like that I can get out of anywhere without the 'need' to work the box, something the CT shares with the Varadero.

Would the AT replace the CT, no.  The CT has it's place, and for me that is touring with Mrs GULG, I just don't think the AT will deliver the same for me.

I might consider an AT though as a replacement for the Tenere BUT...   (that was a big but, just in case you missed it  :008: )
It would have to be very very good off road, and beat the old single Yam in every category before I'd start shelling out that kind of money.  So far only the KTM 690 has come close.

Don't get me wrong, I'm certainly going to have a go on an AT, and I might change my mind on many levels. Today though, I'm preparing myself for the same disappointment I felt when the Super Tenere hit the showrooms (another highly hyped bike, with high expectations).

Offline Dave606

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: CT Highlander-T
Reply #6 on: October 15, 2015, 11:34:08 AM

*Originally Posted by capobob [+]

Motor manufacturers.. despite some funky TV ads, don't really seem to market bikes very well...look at the big campaign for the new Civic Type R...when did you last see a decent bike ad on mainstream tv?
Perhaps the margins on bikes aren't as big...?

There are approx 38 million vehicles on the UKroads, approximately 1 million of which are motorbikes. That equates to about 2.5% may probably explain why less is spent on advertising

Offline GADGET

• Crosstourer Master
Reply #7 on: October 15, 2015, 11:52:09 AM
I don't see the AT as a replacement for the CT, just a different variation of the adventure bike theme.
Personally, i cannot understand what the CT is not more popular, just as I cannot understand why Mr Honda chose not to market it in the United States, which I would assume would be its biggest market.
I hope they do not drop the CT, I personally don't think it even needs an update. Sure some extra 'toys' might attract some new buyers, but then the price will have to go up accordingly.

arab-exile