Author Topic: Top Box Issues  (Read 4605 times)

Offline quoman

• Crosstourer Member
  • Bike: Highlander 120se
  • City / Town: West wickham
Top Box Issues
on: October 09, 2015, 06:39:19 PM
i have a 63 plate highlander with all the luggage
untill recently bike has been in a garage of some sorts or another for parking
the company recently bought a new place so now, during the day the bike is left outside
the top box (the zipped one) i have discovered leaks like a bleedin seive
i have complained to Honda regarding this and even taken the rust ridden thing to my dealer, who have tken pictures of the box and the ruined sat nav, unfortunatly to no avail. honda said "the box isnt waterproof"!, no sh#t ,sherlock!!
the box is quite clearly not fit for purpose , so before i start getting my hands really dirty, what should i do?
im not the only one with this fault, of that im pretty positive.

Online Hartley

• Crosstourer God
  • Bike: Crosstourer
  • City / Town: Northampton
Re: Top Box Issues
Reply #1 on: October 09, 2015, 07:56:26 PM
I've not got the Honda luggage myself but this issue has come up several times. Believe it or not there was a fix from Honda that involved drilling a hole in the box t let the water out.

I think um right I'm saying that other Honda top boxes fit the same plate and some CT owners have managed to get an alternative box.

Sure someone will be along soon with more info.

Paul

Offline GADGET

• Crosstourer Master
Reply #2 on: October 09, 2015, 09:47:59 PM
Mine is still for sale, if you don't mind a black one, just bumped it up to the top :002:

Offline Tonio50

• Crosstourer Pro
  • City / Town: Dublin
Reply #3 on: October 09, 2015, 11:22:59 PM
I just got this 2nd hand and it fitted straight onto the existing plate no bother:-)

Offline gazvfr1200x

• Crosstourer Member
  • City / Town: Northampton,Eng
Reply #4 on: October 10, 2015, 01:34:10 PM
I always buy GIVI I wouldn't touch the triumph luggage with a bargepole givi are much better quality and the Honda topbox looks like a tarts make up case,so I'm looking at getting Givi Trekker Panniers to go with my topbox.

Online Hartley

• Crosstourer God
  • Bike: Crosstourer
  • City / Town: Northampton
Reply #5 on: October 10, 2015, 02:07:37 PM
I've Givi trekker 33L panniers and trekker 52L topbox, no problems other than the box is so big immigrants try getting inside at Calais!

Paul

Offline MotoGpNick

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: VFR1200XSE White
Reply #6 on: October 10, 2015, 02:17:19 PM
There have been exhaustive posts about the OEM top box, most people fit an alternative because of the leak problem and size. Some people say applying silicone around the zip works to a degree.
My oem box went straight into the loft and I fitted a Givi Trekker - good piece of kit.

You pays your money and takes your choice - but yes the oem top box is a piece of crap.
Yam YDS7,Suzuki T350 Rebel,Kawasaki 350 S2, Suzuki GT550, Kawasaki H1B 500, Kawasaki H2 750, Kawasaki Z1 900, Suzuki RE5 (stolen) Matchless 350 Trials, Kawasaki GTR 1000, ZZR1100C3, ZZR1100D2, Honda 900 Bandit, Suzuki SV1000K5 SZ, Honda Blackbird x 2, Honda Varadero 1000 - Honda CT

Offline the mechanic

• Ex Member
  • Crosstourer Pro
Reply #7 on: October 10, 2015, 04:48:01 PM
The later top-box doesn't have a zip, but it is too small anyway, I have done as most others have. Got a different box, in my case Givi Trekker.