Author Topic: WATERPROOFS . . . Recommendations ?  (Read 5817 times)

Offline GeofftheChef

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: VFR1200X Black
  • City / Town: Manchester
WATERPROOFS . . . Recommendations ?
on: October 07, 2015, 08:59:29 PM
Looking to invest in GOOD quality waterproofs for our lovely British climate . . . shoulda done it long ago but now seeking recommendations for "best buy" that actually do keep you dry, willing to pay the price for the right gear.

Offline Farway

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: '12 Crosstourer
  • City / Town: Durham
Re: WATERPROOFS . . . Recommendations ?
Reply #1 on: October 07, 2015, 09:44:52 PM
I personally wont deviate from goretex ever again... I have tried everything and they dont live up to the hype. I ride with Dainese GTX (or something) jacket which has superb exsoskeletal protection. I commuted Ncl to Aberdeen over the winter on a weekly basis and survived. I am happy to say with only the liner in, you can only wear a t shirt underneath up to about 2 cel for 1hour. More than than needs extra layers. Bad side: garment is thick and struggles to dry out. Also DO NOT BUY A JACKET WITH BUTTONS ON THE  THE FRONT. As your body crouches down whilst sitting, the gaps between the buttons flair open and lets cold air in. Double breasted, absolutely yes but with 2 zips rather.
My next buy will likely be Held. The product is excellent and price very very reasonable
Last Edit: October 07, 2015, 09:56:02 PM by Farway
Tomorrow is promised to no one...

Offline steve

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: VFR1200XD
  • City / Town: Llanelli
Reply #2 on: October 07, 2015, 09:51:55 PM
Spidi, my second jacket from them.

This is mine http://www.fc-moto.de/Spidi-Ergo-05-waterproof-Textile-Jacket

Got Spidi trousers as well, but not part of a suit.

Offline capobob

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: 2015 HighlanderT
  • City / Town: SE London/Kent
Reply #3 on: October 07, 2015, 10:38:14 PM
I have a 6 year old Hein Gericke Master V suit...best money ever spent....Gore Pro material excellent!
Unfortunately they have ceased trading in the UK and I can't see a similar product on the German web site..
I'd look next at Halvaarson products or the Klim suits...if I was feeling flush...a Lottery win would mean me marching into Rukka with me wallet open!...
If you have a BMW (spit) dealer nearby..the Street Guard clothing can be very good too!
Essentially you want a removeable thermal liner and some venting to make it an all year option!

It all started with a 1959 Vespa 125 Super.......
KMX125 KMX200 DRBIG 750 TDM800 R1100RS CAPONORD VARADERO.......

Offline Stevensweert

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: VFR1200 X CT DCT
  • City / Town: Stevensweert
Reply #4 on: October 08, 2015, 10:28:47 AM
I use Dane Goretex since 20 years. Perfect. Absolutely water proof and very comfortable to wear.
Tony

Offline Gas_Up_Lets_Go

• Crosstourer Pro
Reply #5 on: October 08, 2015, 10:45:38 AM
*Originally Posted by capobob [+]
I have a 6 year old Hein Gericke Master V suit...best money ever spent....Gore Pro material excellent!
Unfortunately they have ceased trading in the UK and I can't see a similar product on the German web site..
I'd look next at Halvaarson products

Similar story here, I had the Master IV and it was superb, warm and dry.  It started to reach the end of it's life (I think around 8 years old) and looked a tired, yet still wasn't letting in a drop.

I was on the verge of buying Rukka when I happened to see Halvarssons stuff in the local Honda Deal. I'd say it's not quite as good as Rukka (maybe 90% of the way there), but it is half the price - so I bought the Jacket, Pants and Gloves.

Over the past year the Halvarssons has performed better than I expected (and I expected alot). It does not leak (even at the cuffs or neck), or let in draughts. It has lots of little features like the fastener at the top of your boots to pull the trouser leg tight over the boot, or the easy to open vents (even with gloves on - though closing with gloves on is a bit more tricky).

However, I have a bit of a problem turning up places with soggy pants (soggy on the outside), I don't like leaving pools of water where I've been sitting, so I usually cover my bottom half with cheap waterproofs if I know it's 'wet' rain and I need to go into cafes etc.  I have one pair that is held together with gaffa tape, they function mostly but having high quality goretex under them keeps me dry and warm.

On the downside, the Halvarssons is a bit warm on warm days.  For these few days a year I use a RST Vented Rally Suit (under £400 for the pants and jacket)

Hope this helps a bit.

Offline Hartley

• Crosstourer God
  • Bike: Crosstourer
  • City / Town: Northampton
Reply #6 on: October 08, 2015, 12:19:10 PM
I had a Hein Gericke Goretex jacket and it was and still is pretty good. However, as some have said, the issue with a lot of gear is that whilst the wearer maybe dry, the clothing as absolutely soaked and takes ages to dry out.
I bought a Wolf Titanium Outlast suit a couple of years ago which feels a lot thinner and lighter to wear than many brands and is very comfortable. I find so many brands very heavy and bulky. It's not Goretex but I've been caught in a few real heavy downpours and is kept me dry. Being lighter it also dries out quite quickly.

I wouldn't say it's the warmest kit in the world but I don't ride everyday through out the year and I've had bit of a quality issue with material used around the neck area but overall I've been very pleased with it.

When I was looking the Held gear looked very good and nearly as comfortable.

Paul

Offline GADGET

• Crosstourer Master
Reply #7 on: October 08, 2015, 12:53:44 PM
It really depends on what you want to pay, I have both Klim and Rukka kit and rate both very highly