Author Topic: R&G Radiator Guard Fitting  (Read 1762 times)

Offline davja

• Crosstourer Junior
  • City / Town: Bangor
R&G Radiator Guard Fitting
on: October 07, 2015, 12:59:41 PM
Hi all,

Hoping that someone can help me here.  Last week I had a R&G radiator guard fitted by my Honda dealer and was surprised to see that it didn't completely cover the entire mesh core, that it sat proud slightly allowing debris to potentially fall behind it and that it just didn't look quite right.  I sent the attached pictures to my dealer who forwarded them to R&G who said that it looked normal to them and that is was definitely the correct part. Could anyone that has one of these fitted please help put my mind at ease and let me know if this does indeed look normal and fitted correctly.

Many thanks,

Dave

Offline steve

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: VFR1200XD
  • City / Town: Llanelli
Re: R&G Radiator Guard Fitting
Reply #1 on: October 07, 2015, 01:03:35 PM
It doesn't look right at all.
I haven't got a R&G rad guard, there must be someone on here with one fitted.

Offline MotoGpNick

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: VFR1200XSE White
Reply #2 on: October 07, 2015, 01:07:20 PM
I have one fitted to my CT and from memory yours does not look right. Unfortunately I am in Texas at the moment so cannot check my bike.
If I recall correctly - no part of the radiator is exposed on mine.
Yam YDS7,Suzuki T350 Rebel,Kawasaki 350 S2, Suzuki GT550, Kawasaki H1B 500, Kawasaki H2 750, Kawasaki Z1 900, Suzuki RE5 (stolen) Matchless 350 Trials, Kawasaki GTR 1000, ZZR1100C3, ZZR1100D2, Honda 900 Bandit, Suzuki SV1000K5 SZ, Honda Blackbird x 2, Honda Varadero 1000 - Honda CT

Offline Hartley

• Crosstourer God
  • Bike: Crosstourer
  • City / Town: Northampton
Reply #3 on: October 07, 2015, 01:31:04 PM
I've one also and that doesn't look right. Again, unfortunately I'm not going to be able to look at my bike for a couple of days. Though I'm not in Texas I'm in Northampton which is very similar.

I seem to remember having to remove the plastic trim panels at the sides on the Rad to fit it. I'll try to find the fitting instructions tonight.

Paul

Offline dens

• Crosstourer Member
  • Bike: CT & BMW RACER
  • City / Town: Newtownards
Reply #4 on: October 07, 2015, 01:41:21 PM
I fitted one R&G radiator guard to a 08 Fireblade I had a few years ago and I also found it had a gap that let stone etc down the back. Whilst on a holiday in Spain we traveled over some freshly laid Tarmac and some stone wedged themselves between the guard and radiator rubbing on the cooling fins
As a result there is a guard going spare but it is in a hedge just outside Oveido :002:

Offline dentonlad

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: VFR800X, NC700X
  • City / Town: Denton
Reply #5 on: October 07, 2015, 05:22:43 PM
Hi it doesn't look quite right. I had an R&G on my bike, which I now no longer own.

I've attached a photo (from when I crashed last year!) which shows a bit of the radiator. That might help as does look different to the one that you have fitted. Excuse the fat finger on the photo. I was still a bit shaken up from the somersaults along the verge........

Experience is the name every one gives to their mistakes - Oscar Wilde.

Offline davja

• Crosstourer Junior
  • City / Town: Bangor
Reply #6 on: October 07, 2015, 08:08:49 PM
Thanks very much everyone for your very helpful replies.

D

Offline Saxon747

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: Highlander DCT
  • City / Town: Lincoln
Reply #7 on: October 07, 2015, 09:53:11 PM
The top r/h corner of mine seems to have more of a gap than the left, but it's a closer fit than yours on the outside edges. Maybe due to mine not having the foam down the sides.

Last Edit: October 07, 2015, 09:55:38 PM by Saxon747