Author Topic: Realistic valuation  (Read 2664 times)

Offline UniversityBiker

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: CT Highlander
  • City / Town: Oxford
Realistic valuation
on: September 29, 2015, 11:24:15 AM
Was thinking of selling my CT 64 plate manual CT, just over 5000 miles and just done the first annual service.

Started life as a Highlander (Center stand, heated grips, engine guard, spots) but changed cases for Give Outback Trekkers (black) and the top box for Pan Euro box black to match the bike.
Also has a Rear Hugger, Sound bomb horn, RG radiator grill and front fender extender and a Puig tall screen with the deflector.

So what is it worth ?
A local dealer said about 7500....... :745: really,,,,,,,, is that right ??

UB

Offline Gas_Up_Lets_Go

• Crosstourer Pro
Re: Realistic valuation
Reply #1 on: September 29, 2015, 12:06:44 PM
It's always subjective is price and worth.  Not to mention where in the country you are, and where the buyer is.

A quick search of Autotrader has a number of bikes in this age range around £10k, but these are dealer prices.  £7500 sounds a bit low to me, but then it depends on the dealer and what they have in, against what they think they can sell at this time of year - or maybe they just don't want your bike!

Also, it depends if you are trading or just selling.  September is the quarter end for many dealers, so if they've not made their target quota then they are willing to push the boundaries to get new sales (I just changed my car and got a cracking deal as they were a couple of cars short for the quarter). 

Is £7500 a good offer, yes if you need to sell, no if you don't...  It's all relative.

Offline SunAndSea

• Ex Member
  • Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: KTM 1290 SA
  • City / Town: St Julians
Reply #2 on: September 29, 2015, 12:07:59 PM
yes about right, private maybe 8-8.5k. The dealer needs to make a profit and would probably put it up for 8750-9000.

Online Hartley

• Crosstourer God
  • Bike: Crosstourer
  • City / Town: Northampton
Reply #3 on: September 29, 2015, 12:43:51 PM
 Is already said, there are so many variables. When buying my CT I was offered 3200 for my FJR at a Triumph dealer, Doble gave me 5k for it. You never know if there pushing for targets or want to move a particular bike on or may know they have a buyer waiting for what you're chopping in.

Paul

Offline dentonlad

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: VFR800X, NC700X
  • City / Town: Denton
Reply #4 on: September 29, 2015, 01:11:35 PM
It sounds a bit on the low side. I've just got shot of my lowered silver 2013 manual with 12,000+ miles on it to a dealer. The bike was 30 months old. Fitted with Honda panniers, Oxford heated grips, Pyramid hugger, Powerbronze fender extender, R&G rad guard, R&G crash bungs, Honda Touring screen Givi engine guard and Pipe Werx can. They also got a Givi screen (nobody wanted to buy it....) a cheapo chinese top box and the standard exhaust.

I got £6,500. I could have got more if I'd sold it privately but don't need the hassle and timewasters that go with classifieds, e-bay and the like. I'm not sure that the dealer really wanted to buy it as he already has two used CT Highlanders sat there. He bought it so I'd sign up for the PCP on a new Crossrunner. He said he would have given me a better trade in figure if I'd have been buying another CT, a VFR1200F or a CTX 1300, the bikes that aren't selling and that have the 0% finance options.
Experience is the name every one gives to their mistakes - Oscar Wilde.

Offline slomogadgie

• Non Active
  • Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: Olde School CT
  • City / Town: Peternapper
Reply #5 on: October 02, 2015, 09:06:03 AM
I think I heard somewhere that extras don't really mean anything to a dealer as they just see it as a 2013 (or whatever)) bike. You could have 1000 quid of cans, top box, screen etc etc....it's still just a 2013 bike.
I've just bought a new car, and the guy (a mate) in the garage told me that any factory extras i added would not count in the next trade in price etc.
Might be different in a private sale to someone that wanted the extras you had fitted to save him doing it. 
What do you mean it's raining....get ootside and ride the thing.

Online Hartley

• Crosstourer God
  • Bike: Crosstourer
  • City / Town: Northampton
Reply #6 on: October 02, 2015, 10:04:01 AM
I've heard the same Slomo.

Offline HEN99

• Crosstourer Pro
Reply #7 on: October 02, 2015, 12:18:35 PM
As has been said before, easiest way to loose money is to buy a brand new bike ( or car) and sell it after a year, you will suffer HUGE depreciation , Best way to save money buy a bike 18 months old  - with some warranty and keep it for 2-3 years . Strange thing about extras , the dealer always says they don't add value to the bike when you trade in  :110: But they are always listed as a big feature when you come to buy :084: