Author Topic: Which screen  (Read 6099 times)

Offline Harri183

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: crosstourer
  • City / Town: York
Which screen
on: September 12, 2015, 09:19:53 PM
I know it's been done to death but I am after a taller screen, I am 5.10 and after riding my mates diavel I realise just how crap the crosstourer is. Is has to be turbulence as the diavel with no screen was a pleasure to ride. So what is the best screen?

Offline GeofftheChef

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: VFR1200X Black
  • City / Town: Manchester
Re: Which screen
Reply #1 on: September 12, 2015, 09:49:30 PM
I have the MRA VARIO fitted from day one I got the bike . . .had one on all three bikes Ive owned,different models and happy with all of them . . .google it MRA VARIO and they are bike specific so if you do go for one, make sure you order for Crosstourer only . . .around £90.00 I think, well worth it as they have adjustable spoiler built in and are also smoked dark tint which suits the CT better than clear in my opinion.

Offline ukstu

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: Crosstourer
  • City / Town: Warrington
Reply #2 on: September 12, 2015, 09:57:30 PM
I've just got a Givi Airflow. Not the prettiest, but for me it's great. No turbulence or buffeting and can ride with visor up at any speed. It's also adjustable for height which is useful. I am 5 11.

I tried the Honda touring screen a few times but had terrible buffeting; had ringing in ears after riding any distance. The standard screen has been good for the 12 months since I got the bike, lot of wind but linear.

Offline steve

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: VFR1200XD
  • City / Town: Llanelli
Reply #3 on: September 12, 2015, 10:52:20 PM
I got the Givi Airflow, and like ukstu has said, it's great for riding with the visor up etc. However the MRA vario maybe be better for you as others here have found out. So I'm arrived you must the bullet and just go for one.
Most dislike the Honda touring screen but some like it. There is no way of telling really.

Offline slomogadgie

• Non Active
  • Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: Olde School CT
  • City / Town: Peternapper
Reply #4 on: September 13, 2015, 02:54:44 AM
Yep, done to death on many times already. TBH I've tried a few and now run with the OEM normal screen on the lowest setting. For me it gives the least buffeting of the lot. I have noticed a few things make a difference believe it or not:

1. Following traffic, especially larger lorries or caravans etc. Seem to get stuck in a vortex which is a right pain. either drop back or get past.
2. Having my 52ltr trekker on the back. If I have nothing or a smaller 33ltr one, then it seems to be far better
3. Having a passenger seems to muck things up a bit as well.
4. Helmet style. My GT Air made a big improvement over my Arai. I've used Arai for years but now use the GT on the CT. Arai on the Tuono

Of course none of these are a real issue as legal, or slightly illegal speed, lets say up to 80mph

You are correct about the Duke. I have a Tuono with a screen the size of tuppence and no buffeting at all
What do you mean it's raining....get ootside and ride the thing.

Offline the mechanic

• Ex Member
  • Crosstourer Pro
Reply #5 on: September 13, 2015, 06:23:24 AM
*Originally Posted by Harri183 [+]
I know it's been done to death but I am after a taller screen, I am 5.10 and after riding my mates diavel I realise just how crap the crosstourer is. Is has to be turbulence as the diavel with no screen was a pleasure to ride. So what is the best screen?

Turbulence is correct, it seems to come from the low pressure area behind the screen, then you have air trying to get in that area from all angles. Just to give you some info which may help. I am 5'7", I have the touring screen on its highest setting, at first, I was still experiencing the turbulence. I had similar when I had the Explorer. So I tried the same remedy which sorted it on that bike. I put 4 5mm thick washers between the screen and where it mounts, this allows a small amount of air to bleed up the gap between the screen and the headlamp housing. Since this mod I have had no buffeting issues at all and can ride up to decent speeds with visor up if I wish. This mod may not work for everyone, but it did for me and only cost a quid. As people have said, this screen business can be very personal.

Offline leadfarmer

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: R1200 GS LC
Reply #6 on: September 13, 2015, 07:52:40 AM
Hi

I have the Honda touring screen and have made this deflector described here

https://www.crosstourer.com/index.php/topic,2835.msg30079.html#msg30079

It doesn't work for everyone apparently but for me it cured the buffeting completely and for free, works for my CT riding buddy too on his

With or without passenger or baggage makes no difference

Try this before investing in screens
Four wheels move the body, Two wheels move the soul ....

Offline brilave

• Crosstourer Member
  • City / Town: Liverpool
Reply #7 on: September 13, 2015, 02:03:14 PM
Palmer products brackets under any screen gives a huge range of positions plus a cross bar for GPS. After a Givi, I've gone back to CT standard screen on the brackets, set a few inches forward and about six inches higher.

arab-exile