Author Topic: Help Please - recent crash  (Read 7547 times)

Offline eastsoutheast

• Crosstourer Member
  • Bike: Crosstourer XC
  • City / Town: Luton
Help Please - recent crash
on: August 30, 2015, 09:18:32 PM
Hi All

I had just got my new crosstourer (63 plate 5500 miles) ready to enjoy, full service at Honda, new PR4's, akrapovic, TomTom Rider, Givi airflow screen, brake pads front and rear and it all went wrong.

I have done a grand total of 400 miles on this bike up to this point, hit a corner at moderate speeds to find it covered in loose gravel. As a returner to biking following a 7 year break I had to replace all my gear also. I chose not to take gap insurance, excess insurance or helmet and clothing insurance. What a mistake, boots worn through, helmet cracked, trousers and jacket worn through with only my gloves surviving.

Bike requires £12560 worth of repairs from Honda although the majority is cosmetic only.

I have an assessor coming out this Friday to asses the bike. I want to keep the bike as its too good to scrap and get it back on the road. I have a few questions for you good people (and I am OK, I put a hole in my elbow but otherwise came of really well).

1, the market value appears to be approx £9250, repairs @ £12560, what should I be paying to buy back the bike?
2, anyone else been in a similar position and how did you get the right valuation for your bike?
3, anyone know of any crosstourer a being broken?

Thanks All
Brian
On a mission to fall back in love with biking and invest in training to live long and in one piece!

Offline steve

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: VFR1200XD
  • City / Town: Llanelli
Re: Help Please - recent crash
Reply #1 on: August 30, 2015, 09:48:54 PM
Oh dear, glad you are ok though. There has been a few guys on here that have had big insurance claims, Johnnyrep is one I believe.

Offline Hartley

• Crosstourer God
  • Bike: Crosstourer
  • City / Town: Northampton
Reply #2 on: August 30, 2015, 10:05:15 PM
Glad youre ok, am i reading this right? the repairs are 12 thousand 600 pounds? :005:

I think id just take the pay out mate, if thats the bill there's maybe a lot of damage done.
Whatever, i hope you get the outcome that works for you.

Paul

Offline the mechanic

• Ex Member
  • Crosstourer Pro
Reply #3 on: August 31, 2015, 06:31:08 AM
*Originally Posted by eastsoutheast [+]
Hi All

I had just got my new crosstourer (63 plate 5500 miles) ready to enjoy, full service at Honda, new PR4's, akrapovic, TomTom Rider, Givi airflow screen, brake pads front and rear and it all went wrong.

I have done a grand total of 400 miles on this bike up to this point, hit a corner at moderate speeds to find it covered in loose gravel. As a returner to biking following a 7 year break I had to replace all my gear also. I chose not to take gap insurance, excess insurance or helmet and clothing insurance. What a mistake, boots worn through, helmet cracked, trousers and jacket worn through with only my gloves surviving.

Bike requires £12560 worth of repairs from Honda although the majority is cosmetic only.

I have an assessor coming out this Friday to asses the bike. I want to keep the bike as its too good to scrap and get it back on the road. I have a few questions for you good people (and I am OK, I put a hole in my elbow but otherwise came of really well).

1, the market value appears to be approx £9250, repairs @ £12560, what should I be paying to buy back the bike?
2, anyone else been in a similar position and how did you get the right valuation for your bike?
3, anyone know of any crosstourer a being broken?

Thanks All
Brian

Hmm, this is not a good place to be (you already know that though). A lot will depend on what the insurance company classify it as. Whether it becomes cat c, or a d (http://www.motorcycle.co.uk/articles/insurance/insurance-writeoff-categories) may have a bearing on it how much they want off you for you to buy it back. You say mainly cosmetic, are the forks ok? If not, then that will be a real problem, I have been looking for a set to modify and cannot find any that are not damaged. They are an expensive item, the clocks like-wise. From the info you have provided, it is difficult. So to answer your questions.
The buy back figure is almost impossible to estimate.
I repaired a bike for someone in this position, he got the valuation, then argued with the insurance company for more cash (which he got).
I have had someone working 5 days solid on this and found 4, all front end shunts, forks bent, fairing gone, clocks gone, tank knackered, radiator u/s. Basically the usual damage from a front end accident.
One more point to think of, who is going to repair the bike, yourself, or someone else? As you have to factor that in too. Probably a lot of what I have written you won't be happy with, but if we had seen your list of bits from Honda, then there are people on here who could probably give you a better idea of relative costs and viability. I guess from the GAP situation, your bike is on finance, like many. This is one of those cases where you need to see what the insurance are offering you before you do anything. Once you have that figure, you can make an informed decision. Bearing in mind my experiences at trying to find forks, if the insurance covers your finance, you may be better taking it and walking away. I have a fair amount of experience in repairing bikes using bits from breakers and the CT appears to be one of those which don't appear in breakers that regular. I hope this all works out in your favour, but it won't be easy. Whatever happens, keep us posted, if anyone can help I am sure they will.

Offline GADGET

• Crosstourer Master
Reply #4 on: August 31, 2015, 08:11:16 AM
Brian
Sorry to read about your accident, at least YOU are okay, please check your messages, have sent you a PM. john

Offline eastsoutheast

• Crosstourer Member
  • Bike: Crosstourer XC
  • City / Town: Luton
Reply #5 on: August 31, 2015, 08:16:24 AM
Thanks everyone.

The forks have been confirmed as straight as has the frame. The clocks are also undamaged and the bike starts/runs. The labour charge from Honda was £900 from the £12600 estimate and it appears it's all replacing cosmetically damaged parts.

The big costs are swing arm (£1850 plus VAT), final drive (£2800 plus VAT), wheels (£1360 plus VAT) which are straight but scuffed. The bike went down on the left side and slid along the road. It did not hit anything whilst sliding coming to a stop next to me. None of the casings are penetrated or appear cracked and no fluids were lost. The radiator is to be replaced at nearly £700 plus VAT due to it getting scratched.

I believe it will be classed as a CATD as there is no suspension or frame damage.

I will post (once I work out how) a copy of the estimate on here which may prove useful if for nothing more than future reference of parts costs.

I am really hoping I can buy it cheap and repair only what must be repaired initially. I would live with the scratches and dents, bringing it back to great condition over time as parts become available 2nd hand.

If it costs me £3000 to buy and another £1000 in essential repairs I will have a bike likely much better than any alternative the same money would buy me.

Part of me would like to take it for a test ride but I am a little weiry of doing this and being covered by insurance. Also I asked Honda to confirm if it was safe to ride but they would not do this until they had the go ahead to carry out the repairs.

If I buy it back and sold the parts I would have straight forks, engine, gearbox, frame, clocks, panniers, swing arm, seat, lights, indicators, wheels/new tyres, calipers, new pads, sensors, radiator plus lots of other bits. Some are cosmetically damaged at worse but most of the above are OK. Surely this would help me recover the finance gap and £1200 worth of damaged clothing?

Will update following the assessor visit.

Thanks
Brian
On a mission to fall back in love with biking and invest in training to live long and in one piece!

Offline Harri183

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: crosstourer
  • City / Town: York
Reply #6 on: August 31, 2015, 09:33:07 AM
Depends what you want, if you don't like cat d bikes and a minter get shut. When I crashed my bike I bought it back as the value they give is way under what is worth I would think if you bought it back and then stuck it on eBay you would make enough money to replace all your gear and then some. You could even keep the bike and make pretty as you go along. That's why we pay so much for insurance as all part prices are quoted from Mr honda rather than re spraying or using second hand parts.

Offline the mechanic

• Ex Member
  • Crosstourer Pro
Reply #7 on: August 31, 2015, 09:38:47 AM
I would fight hard to purchase the bike, the parts you describe have been on ebay a few times. In fact there is a swing arm casing for £75 at the moment. There was a final drive unit on for £150 a week or so ago. Front fairing panels £125 each. As you rightly say, it is probably worth a lot more in bits, if you broke it yourself. If it has just slid to a stop without hitting anything then the chances are it will ride ok. If you know your way around vehicle repair in general, chances are some of the bits which are scratched are repairable. Just one question, if neither you nor the bike hit anything, how come the insurance are involved? As someone else has already said, the main thing is you are ok.

arab-exile