Author Topic: Learnt something today  (Read 4566 times)

Offline Hartley

• Crosstourer God
  • Bike: Crosstourer
  • City / Town: Northampton
Learnt something today
on: August 27, 2015, 11:32:49 PM
Got home to a Notice of intention to prosecute today for speeding.
71 MPH on the A21 dual carrageway which i thought was a bit harsh as the limit is 70. I didnt know that the limit for a van was 60 on a dual carriageway. Im not a van driver by trade and only used to drive one occaisionally for my old job, im well pi55ed off.

I had a clean licence and always thought that if i got caught itd be, hands up, fair enough, i knew the rules and broke them but to get caught out like that, im gutted.

Paul

Offline Dave606

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: CT Highlander-T
Re: Learnt something today
Reply #1 on: August 28, 2015, 05:44:17 PM
I fell foul of exactly the same rule 25 years ago..........

So how come white van man is always on my tail when I am doing '70' in my car or on my bike?

Offline Hartley

• Crosstourer God
Reply #2 on: August 28, 2015, 06:00:26 PM
 I was working and I don't speed ( well not knowingly) when I'm on the clock. I guess white van man knows to slow down if he sees a camera, I sailed straight past in ignorance of the limit.

Paul

Offline steve

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: VFR1200XD
  • City / Town: Llanelli
Reply #3 on: August 28, 2015, 10:49:42 PM
You should get the offer of a speed awareness course, if your local police force do them. No points if you do the course and it costs £85 but that depends on the area.

I got done for doing 86 on a dual carriageway, after doing an overtake and no other cars on the road, except for an undercover copper hiding on a bridge, just around a bend.
My mate who was shadowing me got nothing, not even spoken too.

Offline Hartley

• Crosstourer God
Reply #4 on: September 07, 2015, 11:51:02 PM
Just got back from my holiday and i have been offered the speed awareness course. All booked and paid for (£90 as opposed to £100 and 3 points).
Managed to get it booked for this Friday afternoon.

Offline HEN99

• Crosstourer Pro
Reply #5 on: September 08, 2015, 12:27:57 PM
Bad luck Paul :138:
Must say speed limits in this country always annoy me - especially the temporary ones - you see those constant speed cameras at road works - , There I am doing a flat 50 , getting passed by everything - so whats the point , mind you thats in the car. To me a car is for getting from A-B  The CT now - that's another matter. I stick to the limits in town - but the open road - that's a bit different !!! after all when you have 6 gears , mind as well give them a go from time to time :305:

Offline steve

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: VFR1200XD
  • City / Town: Llanelli
Reply #6 on: September 08, 2015, 06:34:24 PM
*Originally Posted by Hartley [+]
Just got back from my holiday and i have been offered the speed awareness course. All booked and paid for (£90 as opposed to £100 and 3 points).
Managed to get it booked for this Friday afternoon.
Nice, I did my course today.

Offline brilave

• Crosstourer Member
  • City / Town: Liverpool
Reply #7 on: September 08, 2015, 09:22:35 PM
I did mine in February. Horrific to see what most people (don't) understand about driving. For me it was a fair cop, and happy to avoid points, but jeebus, the complete lack of awareness of car drivers. They should Make everyone re-take a test every few years, and every six months for the elderly. One woman said she couldn't see where she was going with the sun in her eyes so she just went a bit faster.  :157: