Author Topic: CT- A Compromise too far?  (Read 8395 times)

Offline HEN99

• Crosstourer Pro
CT- A Compromise too far?
on: August 27, 2015, 10:04:12 PM
There have been a few posts on this forum of late- of riders not happy with the bike and moving on to other makes/models :110:
Now we all want the perfect bike  - but in the CT ,did Honda sort of give up  on producing the ultimate  bike ???
Lets look at the important facts about the CT :-
    ( 1)275 kilos ( plus luggage) its the heaviest in its class
    ( 2 ) V4 - 1200 cc engine down rated to 130(ish )hp
Now if you are giving the bike all that engine - why then limit it ?? Big mistake Honda !
Ok Honda may not have any other engine choices for a new bike- with shaft drive and DCT
But the end result -- is a bit of a let down :003:
    ( 3 ) Fairly Basic Suspension  - a cost compromise ???

Now I guess the bike was aimed  at the US market - where big engines and poor suspension are 'the Norm'
But now -over here in Europe the bike is/has been left behind - there is so much choice all with more tech- we like our bikes to handle ( go round corners - over bumps MR Honda)  It makes you wonder if Honda has looked at various suspension upgrades but has given up due to cost .

I( for now) will put up with the CT  , I love the drive when you open the throttle at 4000- but then I have not spent £13k-£14k on a new bike - If I had - I think I would be a little  disappointed  :305:

Offline Saxon747

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: Highlander DCT
  • City / Town: Lincoln
Re: CT- A Compromise too far?
Reply #1 on: August 27, 2015, 10:36:36 PM
Each to there own I suppose.
It's heavy due to its engine and chassis I suppose. But at least it ain't made of welded scaffolding poles.
130 bhp is surely enough ! Why the hell would you need the full 170 ?
Some winge about the suspension, but a lot are happy with it after a few tweaks.
After 2 1/2 years and over 13k , I reckon my 12k was well spent.

Offline steve

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: VFR1200XD
  • City / Town: Llanelli
Reply #2 on: August 27, 2015, 11:03:50 PM
I am more than happy with my CT, it does what it says on the tin. It propels this large welsh bloke around, too fast sometimes !
Just had to book a speed awareness course, but that's another story.........

Last Edit: August 27, 2015, 11:06:27 PM by steve

Offline uncle shrek

• Crosstourer Member
  • Bike: highlander
  • City / Town: Cramlington
Reply #3 on: August 27, 2015, 11:06:02 PM
It's all relative isn't it?

I've come from a 15 year old Suzuki Bandit 1200. I'd customised it to the point that I loved the bike. However, it was about to start costing me money, so with the excellent offers on the new CT at the moment I decided it was worthwhile.

It's like a breath of fresh air. Better range, better luggage, more toys, better and adjustable suspension. As far as I'm concerned it's all good.

I couldn't afford to go for one of the 'better' makes. Although I think that's subjective. To me it's like a breath of fresh air, and I'm loving it
I'm not lost, I'm exploring!

Previous bikes:
Yamaha Fs1e, Honda Benley, Kawasaki ZXR750,  Honda Blackbird, Suzuki Bandit 1200.

Offline Dave606

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: CT Highlander-T
CT- A Compromise too far?
Reply #4 on: August 27, 2015, 11:10:27 PM
Some may call it heavy, I consider it substantial. I have two sons who ride lighter, more agile  modern adventure tourers and I have ridden both of their bikes in the last week and The CT feels more stable, smoother and generally better quality than either of theirs...... And then there is the soundtrack....
Last Edit: August 27, 2015, 11:16:51 PM by Dave606

Offline leadfarmer

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: R1200 GS LC
Reply #5 on: August 27, 2015, 11:11:46 PM
I still think it's a great bike, in fact the more I ride it the more I like it

It's not perfect but then if the perfect bike existed we'd all have the same one wouldn't we, boring or what!

Set up the standard suspension and it's fine unless you're going racing, in which case you don't want a Crosstourer anyway
Four wheels move the body, Two wheels move the soul ....

Offline Hartley

• Crosstourer God
  • Bike: Crosstourer
  • City / Town: Northampton
Reply #6 on: August 27, 2015, 11:19:35 PM
 :0461:
Though i will be the first to admit that its taken sometime for me to fully appreciate what a good bike the CT is.
I bought new, would i buy the CT again knowing what i know now............do you know what, i probably would, though maybe a DCT.

Yes, the CT is down on peak power compared to the VFR, by quite a lot. But BHP is not everything, the torque figures are pretty close with the CT making peak torque at a lower RPM and apparently having around 30% more in the lower rev range. Honda obviously thought this was more useful in a bike like the Crosstourer.

As for the suspension, occaisionally i find it harsh but i had no complaint at all while we were on our trip and i think its fair to say just about every bikes suspension gets slagged off by some on their respective forums. Different people have different tastes i guess.

Now I guess the bike was aimed  at the US market - where big engines and poor suspension are 'the Norm

If Honda aimed it at the states they really dropped a bollock, they dont sell it there.

Offline MotoGpNick

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: VFR1200XSE White
Reply #7 on: August 28, 2015, 01:48:21 AM
Horses for courses really - i love my CT, more oomph than most people can handle if truth be told!! Yes it is heavy but its comfortable but its reliable, built well and doesn't spend half its life in the garage for recalls like BMW or Triumph.
Ride what you enjoy  :001:
Yam YDS7,Suzuki T350 Rebel,Kawasaki 350 S2, Suzuki GT550, Kawasaki H1B 500, Kawasaki H2 750, Kawasaki Z1 900, Suzuki RE5 (stolen) Matchless 350 Trials, Kawasaki GTR 1000, ZZR1100C3, ZZR1100D2, Honda 900 Bandit, Suzuki SV1000K5 SZ, Honda Blackbird x 2, Honda Varadero 1000 - Honda CT

arab-exile