Author Topic: Larger tank size  (Read 4241 times)

Offline R14ANB

• Crosstourer Junior
  • Bike: White 2012 XC
  • City / Town: Weybridge
Larger tank size
on: August 27, 2015, 07:36:09 PM
 Just a general question to find out if anyone else has issues and whether somebody could come up with a solution.

The tank capacity on the CT is 21l and in my case gives me roughly 180 miles between fill ups. That's three days in and out of London.

If you're touring it strikes me that it requires far too many stops, would anyone consider that a 30l tank would work better for you? If it would, any idea where or who would produce an oversized tank?

I appreciate that additional weight could be an issue and reduce the balance of the bike but it strikes me that it could be beneficial to some of us.

What do you think?
Bikes owned:
Honda 90 Sports, Sukuki TS90, Yamaha DT175 (a real classic!), Honda 400N Super Dream, BMW R1100RT, Honda VFR1200XC

Offline uncle shrek

• Crosstourer Member
  • Bike: highlander
  • City / Town: Cramlington
Re: Larger tank size
Reply #1 on: August 27, 2015, 08:23:37 PM
Although I haven't had the CT very long, it's getting an average of 50mpg, which I don't think is too bad. Theoretically that gives me a range of 210miles per tank. Like you I'd probably not go past 180, but by that time I'm ready for a rest/leg stretch anyway, so why not fill up.
I'm not lost, I'm exploring!

Previous bikes:
Yamaha Fs1e, Honda Benley, Kawasaki ZXR750,  Honda Blackbird, Suzuki Bandit 1200.

Offline Dave606

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: CT Highlander-T
Reply #2 on: August 27, 2015, 09:31:26 PM
I run out of ass before i run out of gas on a long run so the standard tank works for me

Offline Dave56

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: Highlander
  • City / Town: Grantham
Reply #3 on: August 27, 2015, 10:24:19 PM
I to am quite happy with the range, although I can understand why some would prefer a larger capacity, but the thought of that extra weight  :005:
"The more the miles, the bigger the smiles"

Offline Hartley

• Crosstourer God
  • Bike: Crosstourer
  • City / Town: Northampton
Reply #4 on: August 27, 2015, 10:50:21 PM
Having just done a 2700 mile tour i found the tank range fine. On the motorways doing 80mph/130kph youll need to stop every 2 to 2 1/2 hours which for us is about as long as we'd want to go without a bit of a break and a stretch.  10 litres of fuel will add about another 8 kilos at the top of the bike, which like Dave said, i could do without.

Paul

Offline leadfarmer

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: R1200 GS LC
Reply #5 on: August 27, 2015, 11:00:18 PM
*Originally Posted by Hartley [+]
Having just done a 2700 mile tour i found the tank range fine. On the motorways doing 80mph/130kph youll need to stop every 2 to 2 1/2 hours which for us is about as long as we'd want to go without a bit of a break and a stretch.  10 litres of fuel will add about another 8 kilos at the top of the bike, which like Dave said, i could do without.

Paul

Sounds about right, I stop about every 250km, any more and I start getting the willies about finding a pump

Personally I would like a bigger tank, even if I didn't go further before stopping because of arse ache it's nice to know you can!
Four wheels move the body, Two wheels move the soul ....

Offline the mechanic

• Ex Member
  • Crosstourer Pro
Reply #6 on: August 28, 2015, 05:59:04 AM
In isolation, the tank range my not seem brilliant. However, most of the guys I ride with need to stop for a fill up at 130 to 140 miles, admittedly they are not riding this style of bike, I get around 210 to 220 before I need to fill up, but I don't hang about when I am out either, so for the way I ride, the range is pretty good. Looking at the tank, I reckon it would be pretty easy to make it bigger, the shape does appear to lend itself to some easy fabrication, though I am happy with what I have.

Offline garibaldi

• Crosstourer Junior
Reply #7 on: September 05, 2015, 02:39:37 AM
24,000 miles on the CT and I agree with the majority, the standard tank is fine as most people want to stop for a break before it has reached it's full range. I think 30 litre tanks are a fashion con and only of use if you're crossing the Sahara or central Australia.