Author Topic: Not the best week!  (Read 3080 times)

Offline Fat Bert

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: 13 CT DCT Black
  • City / Town: Tenby
Not the best week!
on: August 26, 2015, 11:03:40 AM
Not been a good week!

Rode from Tenby to Leicester with 14 yr old daughter pillion for an overnight stay with family - nice 250 mile jaunt each way all A roads - lovely!   :046: and her first "proper" ride on the CT

5 miles outside Tenby got nicked for overtaking on solid white line - shan't bore you with the details but as car in front pulled over and I didn't straddle the white line and they don't have video evidence from 1/2 mile away, I'll be challenging it!

Got to petrol station - daughter couldn't get off on usual left hand side due to Givi panniers and petrol fuel lines - so with any king of announcement, she hopped off the other side of the bike - yes - the unbalanced side - guess what?

Fair to say the old CT is a heavy old brute and it took help from another bloke to right it back on 2 wheels!

Couple of scratches to R&G crash bars and Givi pannier

Daughter mortified - but hopefully lesson learned

Stopped for a coffee - main Welsh trunk road closed for resurfacing - detour takes us through welsh hill roads and after a week's continued rain, there's loose stuff and farmers mud all over the smaller roads

Approaching minor T junction at 8-10mph ................

Farmer in 4x4 flatbed pickup hurtles round the corner - must have been doing 50mph - sees me with high-vis LED's and headlights - jams the brakes on and locks up all 4 wheels across the verge in front of me

Choice is to either collide or dump the bike into the verge / hedge - no brainer really - but bike wheels sink 6" into wet grass mud as the wheels have run off the tarmac

I hold the bike at 45degrees long enough to push daughter off the bike  and out of harms way - but the bike falls on me

Luckily, we're both OK - the bike, remarkably has very little in the way of damage

Fortunately, a farmer on a quad bike came by and helped me lift the bike out of the hedge - it was on it's side

What beggars belief is that the 4x4 driver stopped - looked back so could obviously see the 2 of us on the tarmac - buggered off - leaving us to struggle

We we're a bit pre-occupied to get his reg number - probably just as well cos I've have chinned him there and then

Then on the return trip, 1.5 hours form home and the heavens opened and we both got soaked wet through

Fair to say a bit stiff and sore this morning 

Not the best road trip!
"Team Fat Bert" Racing

Offline MotoGpNick

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: VFR1200XSE White
Re: Not the best week!
Reply #1 on: August 26, 2015, 12:49:30 PM
Holy crap !!!!  at least you two are ok  :028:
Yam YDS7,Suzuki T350 Rebel,Kawasaki 350 S2, Suzuki GT550, Kawasaki H1B 500, Kawasaki H2 750, Kawasaki Z1 900, Suzuki RE5 (stolen) Matchless 350 Trials, Kawasaki GTR 1000, ZZR1100C3, ZZR1100D2, Honda 900 Bandit, Suzuki SV1000K5 SZ, Honda Blackbird x 2, Honda Varadero 1000 - Honda CT

Offline Dave56

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: Highlander
  • City / Town: Grantham
Reply #2 on: August 26, 2015, 02:00:04 PM
Bloody hell Bert, thank christ your both OK and the CT escaped relatively un-scathed. Bit of a big ask, but has it put the daughter off pillion trips in the future.
"The more the miles, the bigger the smiles"

Offline Fat Bert

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: 13 CT DCT Black
  • City / Town: Tenby
Reply #3 on: August 26, 2015, 07:57:51 PM
*Originally Posted by Dave56 [+]
Bloody hell Bert, thank christ your both OK and the CT escaped relatively un-scathed. Bit of a big ask, but has it put the daughter off pillion trips in the future.

She was a bit shaken up but jumped back on the bike and continued our journey

Made of sterner stuff than me!
"Team Fat Bert" Racing

Offline Hartley

• Crosstourer God
  • Bike: Crosstourer
  • City / Town: Northampton
Reply #4 on: August 26, 2015, 11:01:08 PM
Good on her, glad youre both ok , really wasnt your week.

Offline uncle shrek

• Crosstourer Member
  • Bike: highlander
  • City / Town: Cramlington
Reply #5 on: August 27, 2015, 12:59:50 AM
I think it's classed as character building!
I'm not lost, I'm exploring!

Previous bikes:
Yamaha Fs1e, Honda Benley, Kawasaki ZXR750,  Honda Blackbird, Suzuki Bandit 1200.

Offline GADGET

• Crosstourer Master
Reply #6 on: August 27, 2015, 08:23:24 AM
Bert, in both these cases it seems like it would have been useful for you to have had a video cam running, pleased your both okay though :002:

Offline Denis Calvert

• Crosstourer Member
  • Bike: DCT Crosstourer
  • City / Town: Preston Lancashi
Reply #7 on: August 31, 2015, 09:00:27 AM
Sorry glad your all ok dropped mine once whilst touring Scotland so bike fully loaded for two on a weeks trip my god it was heavy me and the misses  just got it up had a aching back for a while so no partly how you feel don't if we could have picked it twice in a day good on you both

arab-exile