Author Topic: aftermarket brake pads anyone?  (Read 3728 times)

Offline whitegloss

• Crosstourer Pro
  • City / Town: tyne and wear
aftermarket brake pads anyone?
on: August 18, 2015, 09:15:42 AM
On past bikes i have usually fitted ebc double h brake pads. My original pads will need changing in the near future and was wondering if anyone has used aftermarket pads. I know there is supposed to be faster disc wear, but it has never been a problem in the past for me, as brake performance has been enhanced (think ive answered my own question  :112:)

Offline ManfredK

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: CT 2013 DCT
  • City / Town: Near Frankfurt
Re: aftermarket brake pads anyone?
Reply #1 on: August 18, 2015, 05:26:31 PM
Used OEM pads, EBC EPFA (sintered) pads, Lucas sintered pads.

EBC EPFA are best of these 3 (just in my opinion)

Offline bampy

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: DCT Highlander
  • City / Town: Cardiff
Reply #2 on: August 18, 2015, 06:05:02 PM
I use the Honda brake pads as good as most others out there however I bought mine from Blackpool Honda and saved a fair bit of money over my local dealer

Offline TiuSo

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: VFR1200XD
  • City / Town: Kangasala
aftermarket brake pads anyone?
Reply #3 on: August 19, 2015, 07:31:54 PM
Just finished cleaning up my brakes. Three trackdays and a lot of gravel roads (fast and a lot of braking), and lately brakes were not really feeling good, especially last trackday. Serviced a day before last trackday (24K km), no air in brake fluid. But not feeling as they should and previously felt.

Really nothing to clean, pistons are clean and moving nicely, but brake pads were rusty and cracked a bit at the edges. Pads are EBC double H. Honda original pads never looked like that. Cleaning did not have effect to the behaviour of the brakes, I guess I'll buy original Honda pads in future. I'll have one more trackday next sunday, and the brakes are ok, I trust them, but they should be a bit better and have better feeling. For sure, there is no need to bleed the system, something is missing..
Last Edit: August 19, 2015, 07:37:36 PM by TiuSo
TiuSo

Offline Harry H

• Crosstourer Pro
Reply #4 on: August 20, 2015, 03:16:43 PM
I found the first two sets of official Honda Pads lasted about 6k miles each so must have been made of chocolate.  Then swapped to EBC and they lasted 18K miles. There was no noticeable change in braking performance with the EBC pads and with 30k miles up in total my disc's are just fine.

Was in for a service recently at Dobles and as they only fit official Honda parts I'm back to chocolate pads and if they're anything like the first two sets I don't expect them to last long. I was in a hurry, away on the bike for the weekend and needed them done otherwise I'd have waited got some EBC and DIY'd.

Online Hartley

• Crosstourer God
  • Bike: Crosstourer
  • City / Town: Northampton
Reply #5 on: August 20, 2015, 05:35:14 PM
My CT is in for its 2 year service next week. There's a bit of life left in the front pads ( right hand side more worn)but as I've got a set of new Honda pads already, they're going to fit them for free while the calipers are being cleaned and inspected. Bikes done 13500 miles.

Paul

Offline thetrecker

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: CT Manual Red
Reply #6 on: August 20, 2015, 06:26:16 PM
Hi TiuSo,
Are you bleeding the callipers in the correct rotation as you should in a linked system?. Its different than a conventional bike with separate front and back brake lines ( I'm sure you know this) 

Otherwise I had great experience with Brembo pads in the past on other bikes, biketorqueracing in the UK are agents but I have not checked are they stocked for our CT
Last Edit: August 20, 2015, 06:29:12 PM by thetrecker
Thetrecker. Sometimes your the bug and sometimes your the windshield.

Offline whitegloss

• Crosstourer Pro
  • City / Town: tyne and wear
Reply #7 on: August 20, 2015, 08:03:41 PM
I have seen brembo pads on ebay for the ct, but not looked to see where they are from

arab-exile