Author Topic: Who makes a big rain cover ?  (Read 5671 times)

Offline Capt.Caveman

• Crosstourer Member
  • Bike: Crosstourer DCT
  • City / Town: Huddersfield
Who makes a big rain cover ?
on: August 16, 2015, 05:16:02 PM
My CT has givi trekker outback panniers and topbox, and a tall screen. Does anybody make a decent quality rain cover that will fit over this combination without having to resort to expensive made-to-measure covers ? Cheers.

Offline Capt.Caveman

• Crosstourer Member
Re: Who makes a big rain cover ?
Reply #1 on: August 25, 2015, 10:26:42 AM
Well, after much research, I've opted for the Oxford Protex XL stretch outdoor cover. It gets good reviews, and looks like the only cover available to fit over my combination of high screen and panniers and topbox. Got it for £94.99 and free delivery from sportsbikeshop.co.uk as I had a £5.00 off voucher from a previous purchase. I'll let you know how it performs shortly as I'm about to go to Scotland on a six day tour, and let's face it, it's bound to rain....

Offline steve

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: VFR1200XD
  • City / Town: Llanelli
Reply #2 on: August 25, 2015, 11:08:22 AM
You are taking a rain cover on your road trip!

Offline Gas_Up_Lets_Go

• Crosstourer Pro
Reply #3 on: August 25, 2015, 11:54:35 AM
^^ Wot he said ^^

Although.....  out of sight is out of mind to some degree.

Offline Capt.Caveman

• Crosstourer Member
Reply #4 on: August 25, 2015, 12:56:13 PM
You make a good point, I've been in two minds. I'm going with a couple of mates, both of whom have been touring before (I haven't) and they've both said it's what they'll be doing, so I took their advice, in the end.

Uppermost in my mind is security, a nearly-new CT with givi panniers and topbox....I'm hoping the black cover will mean it's at least a little bit hidden. We'll be chaining the three bikes together, and I may even take the panniers and topbox into each B&B with me (all have private off-road parking) just to be doubly-secure.

For me this will be a test-tour, and will hopefully mean I'm better prepared for venturing further afield in the years to come. Touring was the main reason I bought this bike.

Anyhow, thanks for your thoughts guys.

Offline steve

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: VFR1200XD
  • City / Town: Llanelli
Reply #5 on: August 25, 2015, 05:12:09 PM
but surely a rain cover will not roll up into a small package, and you'll be needing all the space available.

Also a rain cover hides what bike it is but anybody can see that there is a big bike there. Get some pannier inner bags to take into the B&B would be better, just chain the bikes together and without the cover and you should be ok.

Offline Min

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: 1200X DCT
  • City / Town: Reading
Reply #6 on: August 30, 2015, 07:14:44 PM
Hi

Can I suggest this cover Ontour Extra it's water proof and light fitting into a small holdall plus it fits over Givi Cases.
It can be locked with the loop hole at the front and clips together under the engine (one the hands and knees)  :012:

https://plus.google.com/+MarnochStanden/photos/photo/6175911753637450514?pid=6175911753637450514&oid=105896178633065871320

Only picture from the Swiss trip with the covers on the bike, my friends was a 3 times as heavy, it keeps the rain out not others I've tried and prying eyes of what is on the bike. I also run a loop lock between the cases just in case, somebody takes a fancy.

If you need more details let me know.

PS you can find them on Ebay and mine was the Extra Large.

Min G0JMS  :148:

Offline Maverick

• Crosstourer Master
  • City / Town: East Sussex
Reply #7 on: August 30, 2015, 09:05:20 PM
*Originally Posted by Capt.Caveman [+]
My CT has givi trekker outback panniers and topbox, and a tall screen. Does anybody make a decent quality rain cover that will fit over this combination without having to resort to expensive made-to-measure covers ? Cheers.

Side issue but I an having the same fitted, did you go 58 - 48 -39 on the boxes?

Might need to cover myself.